What is it about the AC30/6 TB.....

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by TimmyP, Feb 24, 2012.

1. TimmyP

TimmyP Member

....that causes EL84s to go microphonic? I don't have this problem with any other amp model (including the Chinese AC30CC). I will admit that our (day job) AC30s get a lot more use than any other EL84 model we have, but it seems odd that I have to replace more microphonic EL84s than 12AX7s in these things.

2. WaltC

WaltC Member

Those EL-84s in AC-30's are working a *lot* harder than the 12AX7s. Even though "modern day" AC-30s aren't run nearly as hot as older JMI AC-30s, they still push the power tubes pretty hard and much harder than the pre-amp tubes.

3. Science Amps

Science Amps Member

I'll hazard a guess if it's a vintage AC30. Those amps have infamously poor heat dissipation and the tubes get HOT. The elements are more likely to become loose inside the glass envelope because of the excess heat. Next, you play the rock and roll, and the those little loose elements vibrate and get amplified to holy hell. JM2C.

4. Doug's Tubes

Doug's Tubes Member

Well, the combination of the most harsh environment known to tubes(the AC30/6TB combo amps) and current production EL84's which aren't that great lately either.