What is it with builders that never return....

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by voodoosound, May 1, 2008.

1. voodoosound

voodoosound Funk & Grooven member Silver Supporting Member

emails or messages???

I have sent numerous messages to a couple of newer builders with interest in their builds. NO responses!! I can only assume that they are so backordered with business that my money must not be important to them.

2. GDking

GDking Member

That is part of their boutique experience!

Another type responds right away with excuses and takes 6x longer than estimated with "almost done" responses then feels there is something wrong with you if you get upset!

3. studiodunn

studiodunn Member

thats why I have great loyalty to the builders that don't do that.....and are rarely discussed on these forums.

4. mcgriff420

mcgriff420 Member

Two complete opposites of the spectrum out there in boutique land. I've had the great pleasure of dealing with several hi end builders that had excellent communication. Only once did I have to wait an unreasonably long time for the second peice of a build (matching cab).

I think some builders while having great technical skills don't have he background in business skills..

Case in point -Mark Sampson, however Mark still answers my emails ;)

5. voodoosound

I have had great communication with every amp builder that I currently own. In some cases above and beyond the call of duty with them insisting to go the extra mile. With some of the newer guys out there I think they think they think are too important to be bothered. At least I can only assume this since they do not repsond. These guys really are not even close to being that known to be to busy to respond.

6. The Last Rebel

The Last Rebel Member

I'm going through that right now. I'm trying to get info out of a builder, but after more than a week with no response, I'm starting to think that maybe he's not the way to go. I place a tremendous deal of importance in customer service, and if I don't get it, I'll move on. There are plenty of other builders in boutique-land.

7. dspblues

dspblues Silver Supporting Member

If they don't have the time to return your calls, move on.

8. voodoosound

I am not a huge customer service person when it comes to something being built for me. If they have my specs and do what they say they are going to do I figure the less they talk to me the more time they have to build my amp and have a life. However, I do not get good vibes about a company, person or otherwise when I send emails and leave phone messges telling them I WOULD LIKE TO BUY AN AMP and get no response.

Maybe the builder is on vacation? If so then they should put it on their website. I think one week is an ampe amount of time to expect a response when I ask to buy something they supposedly have available to sell.

9. The Last Rebel

The Last Rebel Member

The builder I'm trying to talk to hasn't had a website for over two years. I have talked to other builders that haven given me a response in under an hour.

10. dumbell78

dumbell78 Member

Sydney by way of Muddy Water Land (Chicago)
    couldnt agree more, its very hard for me to just "purchase" without asking a fair amount of questions. the more access i have to them the better, and sometimes with some of the gear we buy all we have is a phone # or website.

ive ran into the same problem before and i just simply move on, plenty of quailty builders that answer or reply in a reasonable time. also the amount of info on this forum really is a great help, saves a bunch of time!

11. Dana Olsen

Dana Olsen Gold Supporting Member

Hey Man -

That's unreal - evidently they don't know who you are, Rob - I'm not kidding. I can't imagine a builder not returning a call from you, or an email, ESPECIALLY one that says "I want to buy an amp from you".

I guess an email from a flake and one from a respected engineer/player and business person look about the same, but that's not much of an excuse not to return a call or email.

It's like it's getting to the point that one has to brag at the front end of the deal - "Hey, contact this amp guru at Botique Gems amps - he'll tell you I paid cash for his amp last year", or somesuch, like you have to sell yourself before they'll consider you as a client.

With the economy the way it is, this behavior is surprising to me. With luck they'll call back soon and have a good reason they didn't call back sooner. It IS common for business people who are on vacation to leave a message to that effect on their answering machine ...

Good Luck, Dana O.

12. hamfist

hamfist Member

My collection of amp builders is not doing well at the moment. They always seem to run away, and call the police for some reason ! ;)

13. quinnamps

quinnamps Member

LOL! Maybe you intimidated them?

14. RvChevron

RvChevron Member

That's the way it is.

Two opposite kinda experience.

Never bother to return emails or message. One builder, I have sent him an email 2 years ago, never got an response. Same builder 4 months ago, still no response.:rolleyes:

Or

Get you updated every step of the way. Not necessarily instance response but within resonable time.:BEER

15. SatelliteAmps

SatelliteAmps Member

Some builders do run into timing issues. It's very easy to try and do everything yourself and lose track of who needs to be called back. Most customers also only want to talk to the builder/designer, not someone who answers phone calls and relays messages.

I usually try to keep in touch within about 72 hours if I can (even if it is just to say I'm swamped and will get back to them in a few more days). I set two days a week to spend time returning emails and phone calls. The cycle is difficult when I have to put off building an amp for a customer to try and also help out potential new customers.

That being said, anything over a week is pretty inexcusable, from a sales point of view.

16. The Last Rebel

The Last Rebel Member

Just let me say that Adam is one of the builders I've had return my email very quickly. He's also a very nice, helpful, knowledgeable guy.

17. goneracin

goneracin Member

I try to answer all emails when they come in, or when I read them. I am with all of you, its unnerving to not be able to get in touch with someone you either have spent money with, or are thinking about buying something from. Having said that, I can totally understand how an email can get lost. Im a smaller guy, and I get an average of probably 50-75 emails a day, so if I dont answer it right when i read it, it may be 2 pages back by the end of the day, and it gets overlooked. Now if you cant get him on the phone, and have tried a few times between the phone and email, I would worry a little. Its hard being a small business, and having to balance out your time between online and actual work. As hard as I try, Ive missed a couple, so I can relate to that side of it as well.

18. DamianP

DamianP Member

All I need are emails to respond to.

Damian.

19. nolenuttt

nolenuttt Gold Supporting Member

Get a Germino or Louis Electric-Won't be a problem....:BEER