What is it with Govt. Officals(all levels)?

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by CharlyG, Feb 28, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CharlyG

CharlyG Play It Forward

Without coming down on either side of the spectrum, I would like to discuss how they always use words like reform, rebuild, etc.? Schools need updating, roads need repaired, bridges need.......etc etc etc. It seems to me, the upkeep of the project is built into the initial cost. So where does that money go? How do things get so run down it's now a crisis? Are systems broken, or not following the rules? Do they EVER get ANYTHING right? And don't get me started on "comprehensive", one of the most overused and under performing words in our language.

/shouting at clouds

2. bluwoodsman

bluwoodsman Member

"It seems to me, the upkeep of the project is built into the initial cost."

It seems to me that you are wrong.

VERY wrong. But that is the issue! Politicians (who ultimately control much of the money for government expenditures) don't seem to be able to grasp several concepts:

1) maintenance funding needed for ongoing expenses

2) inflation

Also you might want to check into purchasing and legal requirements for hiring of contractors. Governments are often NOT free to choose the contractor that is cheapest and/or best able to complete a quality job.

3. NormH3

NormH3 Member

Politicians tend to be reactive and not proactive. They pray on human emotion and do it well. If they told you the bridges in your county need to be replaced because they are getting old and requires a tax increase, chances are it wouldn't get voted in. If a school bus full of kids died because a bridge collapsed and they proposed a tax increase to fix the bridges it would probably be a different story.

4. CharlyG

CharlyG Play It Forward

So it's common sense in every other walk of life, but these guys can't figure it out? They put tolls on bridges, and sometimes they get enough money to stop the toll. So they do know how...

5. wstsidela

wstsidela I'm bonafied Gold Supporting Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.