What IS it with Les Paul's

Damn things are heavy. Most of the play poorly. It's not a 'comfortable' guitar. You have to go through 10000 of them to find one that's good.

But when you do, holy shnikey's, THAT is a tone that I'm looking for.

I've been looking for a good playing and sounding Les Paul for the last 3 years. I've been through a Love Rock (pretty damn good!), and haunted local Guitar shops playing each one and hoping that this one would be 'IT'.

I've been using a Time Capsule Dean Caddy, and it's awesome. Easy to play, sounds great, and can cop those tones. But...it's not quite as 'thick' as that Les Paul.

It pisses me off.

Anyone else?

EP

JimH

It's weird, I love les pauls - yet I can't find a good one that I can afford. In the past few years my money's gone to heritage and hamer - I don't regret it at all but still hanker after a really good Les paul. Had a few that just didn't do it. - 3 standards and a classic and played many many more - it's rare I see one in a shop and want it - but still it won't go away - especally when I hear something really good and Les Pauly.

Mikey2201

I LOVE my Les Pauls. I went into a guitar store in 05 looking for a USA Dean, they sold the one I wanted and I just picked up a LP Custom and bought it within 15 minutes. It is the best sounding guitar I have ever had my hands on and plays like a dream.

I have a new Standard which is also incredible.

I don't think it's hard to find a good Les Paul, they're all good, some are great, and others are magnificent.

I don't understand what they "play poorly" and a "good one" means?
There we disagree. I don't think you'll find many that will say 'All Les Paul's sound good'.

Play poorly, good one:
Some of the time it's the setup, but Les Paul's were not designed around a human body. Stratocaster made an effort there, and it's much more comfortable to have sitting on your body for 4 - 5 hours at a time. It's basically a huge chunk of wood hanging off your neck. Screw a few strings off of it, and off you go. The weight is a problem. Honestly it never bothered my while I was regularly playing one, but once I switched over to the Dean, I realized just how much that takes it out of you over a 5 hour period. Also, anyone with relatively small hands will have a difficult time getting to the higher registers...just the way that it is.

I would say that most Les paul's are very 'average'. Nothing distinquishing about them. But the 'GOOD ONES' sound better, have more resonance, have a 'woodier' feel to them. You know it the second you plug in.

I didn't think I would have to be that specific, but there you go. :messedup

After all THAT, I still will have one in my possesion sometime.

EP

Fireball XL5

Silver Supporting Member
No problem finding good Les Paul's here...

I stick with Historic's so I can't comment on regular production, but I've been buying all of my Les Paul's online (since 2003) from reputable dealers like Wildwood, Willcutt's, Centre City, etc...and every guitar I have received has been stellar.

Birddog

I bought my first Gibson LP this winter. A Studio. Magnificient wood, wonderful tone. I played about 5 (maybe 6) Vintage Mahoganies and only one of them had a discernibly weaker tone. After that, I played 6 different Studios (this is all over the course of a month). Couldn't find a single difference in tone, parts or assembly. The thing that made me take mine home was the slightly better wood top.

I started selling off some camera and guitar gear recently, because I already want to buy a Standard after gigging with the Studio. I'm completely sold on Gibson LP's. I started the hunt at my 3 local guitar stores, and settled on a Standard with a fantastic finish. Again, none of the other Standards I compared it against had twisted necks, tone problems, weight issues, hardware issues....nothing. They were ALL GOOD.

And no, I'm not a noob, and yes I am picky about guitars. I've had nothing but good luck with Gibson quality on their 2007 & 8 guitars.

CraigSuperLead

Gold Supporting Member
I don't know... I think it's just personal preference. I really can't stand guitars with a belly cut, like a strat. I just find it that a guitar with a belly cut 'sits' differently on me when I'm standing up. In general the weight of a les paul isn't a problem. I like les pauls and teles. I just find them more comfortable for me. Love the way the sound and play.

Craig

There we disagree. I don't think you'll find many that will say 'All Les Paul's sound good'.

Play poorly, good one:
Some of the time it's the setup, but Les Paul's were not designed around a human body. Stratocaster made an effort there, and it's much more comfortable to have sitting on your body for 4 - 5 hours at a time. It's basically a huge chunk of wood hanging off your neck. Screw a few strings off of it, and off you go. The weight is a problem. Honestly it never bothered my while I was regularly playing one, but once I switched over to the Dean, I realized just how much that takes it out of you over a 5 hour period. Also, anyone with relatively small hands will have a difficult time getting to the higher registers...just the way that it is.

EP

I guess I've never really stepped up to the Historic's. It seemed like that extra $2000 for a Historic was silly. Maybe not. But $5000 for a Les Paul....ouch.

I admit to some bias towards the 'Triangle' headstock of the 'Custom' (not "Custom Shop"). Most I've heard seemed to have that cosmetic...

GAT

Platinum Supporting Member
My 2007 Murphy is the best I've ever had and I've stopped looking.

pedalcr8z

Every VOS Historic I have touched .....(later plekked versions) have ALL been exemplary..............now the normal Gibby's, yea I hear you.

pedalcr8z

I guess I've never really stepped up to the Historic's. It seemed like that extra $2000 for a Historic was silly. Maybe not. But $5000 for a Les Paul....ouch.

I admit to some bias towards the 'Triangle' headstock of the 'Custom' (not "Custom Shop"). Most I've heard seemed to have that cosmetic...

NAH, just bought a new R-4 and payed 2500.00 delivered......they are NOT 5K!

Bluesbuff

I've had no problems finding great les pauls. Most often in stores the intonation is off and the setup is poor. Makes it difficult to really evaluate any guitar. I find my les pauls very comfortable to play. Even the really heavy pancake Norlins. Yes you will feel the effects later if you are not used to it. But I like them way better than my Fenders or other guitars. I have small hands and have no problem reaching the upper frets even with he fiftys baseball bat neck, although I prefer the 59 profile. As with any "hand built" production guitar there is some variance in quality and you may have to play some to get what you want. There's also a variety of pickup combinations out there that may or may not suit you.

A440

Silver Supporting Member
never been fully comfortable with a LP, but I keep looking

I do like Singlecut LP specials, and the other models with a stoptail such as the R4 and the 54 Oxblood.

takakat

I had 56 Special, 55 Custom, 56 Junior, 2001 R8, 2002 Ultima in my 40+ years of playing time but none of them were with me now. I like the sound of Les Paul but there are always some issues with them. Specially intonations problems no matter how I adjust the bridge it is off at some fret position. I gave up on Les Paul style guitars completely. Now I settled with Brian Moore C90P.13 which is a very versatile guitar with no issue at all and it stays in perfect intonation at any fret position.

buchla300

I think there are quite a few great ones around and some dogs.
The Historics I have played have been really great. Still nothing to touch my Sid Poole (sorry Gibson!) but I am sure they are out there..they just need finding and perhaps time to be played in.

In fact, it's part of the fun, no? finding the guitar that speaks to you. Also, the one you don't like may be the "one" for someone else.

Horses Courses and all that...

Trending Topics