What is "JAN" in tube names?

clarkram

hopefully someone will chime in with the correct response, but I think it means Joint Army Navy originally for military use.

I don't really know...

Steve Foley

I've read that the JAN tubes were designed for more "rugged" use, so they didn't fail under field battle conditions - a bad time for tubes to go out :( .
This doesn't "necessarily" mean that they'll sound better - although they often do - but if they do sound horrible, they'll sound horrible longer....or something like that...;) .
Actually, many of the JAN tubes are very good tubes, very durable, chimey tones, etc. The JAN Phillips 6L6GC's are great tubes, low failure rate, reliable, and unfortunately, rising quickly in price...

Blue Strat

Originally posted by Steve Foley
I've read that the JAN tubes were designed for more "rugged" use, so they didn't fail under field battle conditions - a bad time for tubes to go out :( .
This doesn't "necessarily" mean that they'll sound better - although they often do - but if they do sound horrible, they'll sound horrible longer....or something like that...;) .
Actually, many of the JAN tubes are very good tubes, very durable, chimey tones, etc. The JAN Phillips 6L6GC's are great tubes, low failure rate, reliable, and unfortunately, rising quickly in price...
All NOS tubes are rising in price as is the case with any desirable commodity which is being depleted.