What is John Mayer using on Out of my mind?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by jtwang, Aug 2, 2008.

1. jtwang

jtwang Member

The Try! album with the trio is a smorgasboard of sweet tones, but the tone on "Out of my mind" really sticks out (in a good way). What is he using on that song? I've seen some videos of "Out of my mind" where he plays a strat, but those doesn't sound like the cut from the album. Also, what's going on pedal wise? Is it a fuzz..?

2. gregory49

gregory49 Member

with the trio he used pedal wise a tubescreamer and a keeley katana and blues driver. Thats just dirt but on that tune he used his eric clapton sig gibson historic 335...

3. jtwang

jtwang Member

Thanks Gregory,

for some reason I though it was a SG the first time I heard that song. Close enough I guess. Regarding the pedals... are you sure there isn't a fuzz in there? I've seen the Trio pedalboard too and sure, there's no fuzz in sight, but that song has this slightly rolled back fuzz tone to my ears. Is that the modded BD-2 I'm hearing?

4. gregory49

gregory49 Member

it could be any combination of those pedals along with the dirt channel of the custom reverb sig two rock he was using at the time! but to be honest no i'm not sure there could be a fuzz. Definitly the neck pick up for most of the tune though.

5. hurleysurf

hurleysurf Member

The keeley bd-2 that he used can really get some light fuzz tones with the gain maxed out. It was also DEFINATELY the 335 on the CD.