What is Kings of Leon's best cd

squeally dan

Saw these guys on ACL's. I really liuke them but am not familliar with the music. What should I listen too?

Thepilot

My favorite is "Only by Night"- but it's the only one i've really given a fair-listen. i really enjoy them as well.

pete692

Silver Supporting Member
I'm not usually one of those "I don't get so and so" guys, but The Kings of Leon are one of the most over-hyped critical darlings of the last 5 years. I remember when they first came out, all the talk about their Southern Rock cred and them name dropping Skynyrd. Yeah, I got swindled on that one.

dverna

Great band... I like all their stuff... Because of the Times is my favorite.

Darkburst

Silver Supporting Member
I suggest starting with Aha Shake Hearbreak if you like their rockin' stuff more than the ballads.

brdstl

Youth and Young Manhood and Aha Shake Heartbreak are my favorites. Those are the only two that I don't seem to tire of.

Victor R

Formerly wstsidela
Platinum Supporting Member
Start from the beginning. IMHO The first & second CD's are the best.

riker4208

I'd say most underhyped band, I've never bought an album by them, but they keep writing rocking tracks that I love when the come on the radio

speakerjones

The first couple are a little more rough and tumble, southern rockish. The last couple are a little more produced, polished and you can hear more of a U2 kind of influence. They're all good if you ask me. Great songwriters.

mtmartin71

Gold Supporting Member
^^^Agress with this post. I like Aha Shake Heartbreak the best. It takes the first and expands the arrangements. It also gives you a hint of where they are headed. The last two are great in their own way but it is much more like they holed up and listened to U2 records, as mentioned. Just a whole different production and sound. A friend of mine and ex-bandmate really dug the first release but gave up on them after listening to the 3rd album because he wanted more garage rock and they had moved on. I like both incarnations of the band so far but it's all a matter of you tastes on whether you'll like their whole catalog.

meterman

I've only got Youth and Young Manhood, great raw roots rock album with driving grooves and interesting lyrics, quirky but catchy vocal style.

Only other stuff I've heard is a couple tracks off the new album, way more produced and sounds like a completely different band (and IMHO that's not a good thing in this case...)

I will say that I saw them live on tour for Y&YM and it was pretty rough, could barely pull the parts off live which left me wondering if maybe they didn't have a little guitar "help" in the studio on that one....

GA19RVT

I was crazy over that first album. Having met them a few times, having seen their escalating rock star behavior, and hearing their ongoing releases of over-produced non-music mumbo-jumbo, I now dislike them so much I threw it away.

Garrett Bagby

Each album has its own thing going on. As said before, the first two albums are more rough. The next two are much a more polished sound. I think the musicianship improved a lot on these two, especially the vocals and bass playing.

If you're into the current radio stuff, get Only By The Night and work your way backwards. I've been into them since the start and you can't go wrong with any of them, IMO.

If I absolutely had to narrow it down to one, I'd keep Only By The Night. I think it has the best songwriting, vocals and basslines. Aside from being majorly compressed (what isn't these days?), I think the production is beautiful. Sounds excellent through good headphones.

Remember that these guys all had very sheltered, religious upbringings. They didn't start discovering rock & roll and other secular music until about 10 years ago, and they were not experienced musicians when they got signed. So as they make new discoveries in their own musical journeys, it is reflected in the band. That's a quality of their music that I love.

teleking36

Silver Supporting Member
Youth & Young Manhood is fantastic, but Aha Shake Heartbreak takes the cake for me. I'd also put Because of the Times in a neck-and-neck tie with Y&YM, based on the fact that BOTT features them really coming into their own as musicians. I feel like their material on BOTT is the most complex. Nathan has some of the most unique and equally awesome drum arrangements I've heard on a rock album in quite a while.

Been a fan since 2003, when I remember nobody here in the states knew much about them. It used to piss me off that they remained under the radar for so long, because they have such a great sound, and Caleb Followill's voice has got to be one of the best rock voices to come along in at least a decade. Now that they have their own clothing line and have club remixes of their old (and new) songs, it kind of irks me a bit. But I always kick back to their first two albums and realize they're worth keeping in rotation.

I did enjoy the new album for a very short while, but it's just too commercialized sounding for me to really stick. I don't think the songs have any individuality. I hope that after the whole "Sex on Fire" and "Use Somebody" phase passes, they get back to their true southern ballsy rock sound that got me hooked in the first place.

TCauble

I'd say start at the begining. I've been listening to them since day 1 with the Holy Roller Novocain EP then the Youth and Young Manhood album. After that they started evolving with Aha Shake Heartbreak. On Because of the Times they decided to mess with more effects and loose the garage rock "southern fried Strokes" sound in favor of something a little bigger. After this album they toured with U2 which had a major influence on the next album Only By Night. Great band over all and i've seen them on every tour, and they are just getting bigger!

nodata2000

You hit the nail on the head...

The first couple are a little more rough and tumble, southern rockish. The last couple are a little more produced, polished and you can hear more of a U2 kind of influence. They're all good if you ask me. Great songwriters.

Trending Topics