What is like a Zvex Distortron, but with...

KBN

What is like a Zvex Distortron, but with tighter bass and a tad more mids? The Distortron is great and all, but it can be a little wooly and scooped. I really like the feel of it and the general voice of it is pretty great, but I am left wanting more focus I guess. In case it matters, I mostly play humbuckers and run into a Reeves 50. Thanks.

jason41224

to my ears, it's not scooped; if anything it has a slight mid boost. it's just not a TS-model in the least. maybe a Fulltone Plimsoul would float your boat

voxylady

I felt as if there was some scoop as well. For some reason, every time I kicked it on, I always felt like I was lost in the mix. I love everything else about it though, if it had a little more focus like OP said, it'd still be on my board.

KBN

I felt as if there was some scoop as well. For some reason, every time I kicked it on, I always felt like I was lost in the mix. I love everything else about it though, if it had a little more focus like OP said, it'd still be on my board.
So what, if anything, has replaced the Distortron on your board?

abnerfm

When it comes to OD's, either they suck bass like a Tube screamer, which is good for solos/cut through a band mix, or you have a flat OD that sounds great at home but don't cut in a live mix. For me, the PCE Aluminum Falcon solved both problems.

LPMojoGL

Music Room Superstar
Some of those Marshalls in a Box are designed to use into a Marshall amp. They sound great in a Marshall, but kinda scooped and boomy in something different, like a Fender. I believe the Distortron is just the distortion side of the Box of Rock? Which was designed to be played in front of a Marshall.
The Carl Martin Plexitone is another such pedal.

I think the XTS Atomic would suit your needs.
The Wampler Pinnacle is a cool pedal too. A lot of people say the bass is soft on it, but I found it to be tight enough to chug on the heavy strings. The contour knob is real handy in dialing in the right mids for any amp.

BlueHeaven

What is like a Zvex Distortron, but with tighter bass and a tad more mids? The Distortron is great and all, but it can be a little wooly and scooped. I really like the feel of it and the general voice of it is pretty great, but I am left wanting more focus I guess. In case it matters, I mostly play humbuckers and run into a Reeves 50. Thanks.
I don't find it scooped at all unless compared to a TS.

modestcargo

Some of those Marshalls in a Box are designed to use into a Marshall amp. They sound great in a Marshall, but kinda scooped and boomy in something different, like a Fender. I believe the Distortron is just the distortion side of the Box of Rock? Which was designed to be played in front of a Marshall.
The Carl Martin Plexitone is another such pedal.
Agreed, the Box of Rock/Distortron sounds scooped for sure through my deluxe reverb. That is a good thing for me since I only use it with that amp to practice at home. It sounds scooped because the amp itself IS scooped.

Through a 4 hole marshall type amp it sounds huge and middy, because the amp sounds huge and middy.

You might be interested in the Dirty Little Secret - it was TOO focused/tight for me.

KBN

Agreed, the Box of Rock/Distortron sounds scooped for sure through my deluxe reverb. That is a good thing for me since I only use it with that amp to practice at home. It sounds scooped because the amp itself IS scooped.

Through a 4 hole marshall type amp it sounds huge and middy, because the amp sounds huge and middy.

You might be interested in the Dirty Little Secret - it was TOO focused/tight for me.
I was thinking about the DLS. I believe Catalinbread tests a lot of their designs through a Hiwatt. What version of the DLS did you have?

modestcargo

I was thinking about the DLS. I believe Catalinbread tests a lot of their designs through a Hiwatt. What version of the DLS did you have?
I didn't, just played the MkII for about an hour through a couple amps, vs. other Marshally pedals. Wamplers, Zvex, Crunch box, etc.

I went home with a box of rock.

The Wampler Plexi drive was a good pedal but didn't seem to give me the touch sensitivity I wanted. It was more a feel thing. But the tone of it was very very good.

The others I wasn't that impressed with.

KBN

I didn't, just played the MkII for about an hour through a couple amps, vs. other Marshally pedals. Wamplers, Zvex, Crunch box, etc.

I went home with a box of rock.

The Wampler Plexi drive was a good pedal but didn't seem to give me the touch sensitivity I wanted. It was more a feel thing. But the tone of it was very very good.

The others I wasn't that impressed with.
How did the feel of the DLS compare to the BOR?

modestcargo

How did the feel of the DLS compare to the BOR?
The DLS felt very "hard" and did not have the low end of the box of rock. Hard is the only way I can describe it, maybe closer to a later Marshall, an 800 maybe. The low end was most definitely tight.

..Which is probably perfect if you are running it into an amp that is breaking up and nice and fat already. I was not able to turn up much when auditioning these so I am not sure.

What I wanted was a pedal that I could do the bedroom practice thing with and the Box of Rock seemed like the only one that I could get an amp feel out of, at a low volume. When I say amp feel I mean a JTM45 or early 50w plexi.

Edit: yes I do remember a bit of a mid push on the DLS as well. Esp. in the higher mids which again would likely be outstanding to cut through the mix especially if you have a darker amp.

Trending Topics