What is my deal with Boost Pedals?!?!?!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Footbutt, Feb 10, 2012.

1. Footbutt

Footbutt Supporting Member

i currently have an And Aardvarks! Mosfet Boost pedal that i primarily bought for the cool graphics. :hide

but for when i'm fingertapping it does a great job. PLUS with the Timmy it makes my amp sound soooo good.

now i'm looking at the Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster to help transform my single-coil Jaguar pickups to somewhere close to humbuckers when i need a different sound. ~$60

BUT i'm also looking at the Strymon OB.1 for very light compression AND the boost. i figured i'd use the comp as an "always on" type effect--and to act as a first-pedal-buffer-thing you guys always talk about. ~$200

so do i really need THREE boost pedals?!
    my eventual setup would be: Jaguar-> OB.1-> SD Pickup Booster-> Pitch&Mod stuff-> ODs-> And Aardvarks!

2. guitarz1972

guitarz1972 Member

OP, you're the only one who can say for you what you need regarding pedals, but from here that's a whole lotta boostin' goin' on. I'd try trimming it back to one (or two at most) and seeing if any one of the three will do all three of your criteria just as well (fingertapping, beefing up single coils, and being an always-on boost/buffer or buffer-like thingy). You may indeed find each one does each respective thing better than any one or two could, in which case it's like "ok, at least now I know."

I like using as few effects as I can get away with, so that's where I'm coming from with telling you to try getting as much as you possibly can out of each pedal and not adding anything else until you've taken it as far as you can. But that's just me.

3. Footbutt

Footbutt Supporting Member

so it looks like my gear made my decision for me.
    my Mosfet Boost pedal (And Aardvarks!) kinda crapped out on me. it will involve me opening up the case and twittling with the jacks. but anyway...

i did receive my Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster in the mail yesterday and WOW. i might never turn this thing off! i had to track down a 3dB version first, but man does it sound great.