what is my problematic link in my rec chain?

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by soundmun, Jul 30, 2005.

1. soundmun

soundmun Guest

Hi there. my 1sT post here :)
    Im using a behringer mic200 tube preamp conected to my line in standart sound card- built in in my asus p4p800 m.board (soundMAX). when i go clean it sounds good but when i plug a distortion like my rocktron silver dragon or metal master , the recording sounds too fuzzy and muddy . the sound in my monitor is less fuzzy and direct then the sound of the recording itself. I use cool edit pro for editing.
    For drums and bass i use zoom 234 and it sound in rec as good as it sounds in monitor.
    is there a better way to go direct? what is my problematic link in this chain?
    heres an example of what i mean:
    http://hmiko0.tripod.com/aharon.mp3

2. LSchefman

LSchefman Member

You're probably recording at too hot a level with the fuzzes and ODs, and overloading your recording inputs.

That's why what is going through your monitors is not what is turning up on your recorded tracks. The recorder is distorting.

And yes, there are far better ways to go direct than what you're doing. Do some research about recording techniques and you will discover what works for you. There are lots of excellent books on the subject.

3. soundmun

soundmun Guest

Thnx
    what other ways could you suggest?
    i have tried searching web for this issue but didnt get any relevant material.

4. elambo

elambo Member

It would certainly help if we could hear an example of the distortion you're talking about. The link you provided is dead.

5. soundmun

soundmun Guest

6. MichaelK

MichaelK Member

Sorry Chaim... what I get is a home page, not the sample, and my Ivrit isn't advanced enough that I can figure out where to click.

7. soundmun

soundmun Guest

click on the
    æåøí mp3
    or the link above it

8. soundmun

soundmun Guest

any suggestions?