What is "ska?"

Page of Cups

Some will roll their eyes at my crude, overgeneralized and largely inaccurate analogy, but ska is to reggae somewhat what rock&roll is to blues. There, I said it. This is remarkably informative...

CharAznable

Some will roll their eyes at my crude, overgeneralized and largely inaccurate analogy, but ska is to reggae somewhat what rock&roll is to blues. There, I said it. This is remarkably informative...
Your analogy would only be crude and overgeneralized but not inaccurate if it weren't for the fact that it's actually backwards. Reggae came from ska, not the other way around.

And that video is very confused about it too.

A-Bone

Montonero, MOY, Multitudes
Gold Supporting Member
Your analogy would only be crude and overgeneralized but not inaccurate if it weren't for the fact that it's actually backwards. Reggae came from ska, not the other way around.

You said it. That video's a mess -- as is much of its rankings.

No_Stairway

Want to feel old? 4th wave ska is apparently stiring on the edge of mainstream.

Ska has the unique ability to sing about death and pain in a happy way. Problem with a lot of ska and most popular punk is that they sing about kids stuff, highschool type stuff, really deep, yiu know?

Here's a good one from the Skunk label that also signed Sublime and Slightly Stoopid.

Dark days, indeed.

Maybe send him a link to this video:

Years before I knew I liked Fishbone or Ska... and probably the first time to see Seth Green (unless his Married with Children episodes predate this)
These guys are from my neck of the woods (Grand Rapids MI) and have been together and touring for close to 30yrs.
My wife is a huge fan, one of the few not overly mainstream ska bands she likes.

2HBStrat

Bob Marley's first records with "The Wailers" (before "Bob Marley and The Wailers) could be characterized as ska! Simmer Down was the first Marley hit and it is straight up ska!

That could be the prototype for ska right there!

ntotoro

Wouldn’t The Police be considered second wave... ? Third wave all sound the same to me and why isn’t Fishbone (before they got heavy) on that WatchMojo list... ? I mean, WatchMojo sucks the last few years and all, but still...

Page of Cups

Well, blow me down! You make way too much sense. It's pretty clear now. I extended reggae (genre) to more basically mean reggae beat, or more specifically "offbeat". As much as I had it backward, it's actually interesting that it sort of is backward. R&R is largely (but not exclusively) sped up from its roots whereas Reggae is largely (but not exclusively) slowed down from its (immediate) roots. And what precursed Rocksteady and even Ska? R&R and R&B? Well, apparently all these tap from common root... Songs are like tattoos... You know I've been to sea before...

the_Chris

It's All Been Done Before
Supporting Member
When I think Ska, I think Reel Big Fish:

Oddly enough, as soon as I saw the thread title, not only did I immediately think of Reel Big Fish, I thought of this song.

Freaky.

That was actually a great record: "Skatanic", "She Has A Girlfriend Now (w/ Gwen Stefani)", "Everything Sucks" got some rotation back in the day, ha.

Reactions: b80

Trending Topics