What is "ska?"

aleclee

TGP Tech Wrangler
Staff member
A couple months ago, my Jamaican colleague politely informed me that it doesn’t rhyme with “spa” but rather is pronounced like a shortened version of “scat”

Sweetfinger

Silver Supporting Member
Yeah, I wouldn't call that ska...
But you can absolutely hear the similarities and commonalities.
One of my bands used to do this one, and I just naturally skanked it up when we played it:

I've always been amused and delighted at the ability of ska bands to interpret just about anything in the style.

Eh, why not? I like when there's a lovely bubbling over of different genres, blues, funk, ska, etc.

BlueRiff

Here's another one by Mustard Plug covering another W Michigan Band called The Verve Pipe.
The story is that Sir Elton John himself offered The Verve pipe tons of $ for this song, but they never sold it to him.
You mean Elton wanted to use the song or own it outright?

crambone

Don't hate me, but I love 80s-90s revival white boy punk ska

The Interrupters keeping it alive in 2018

I think I found my new bestest friend!

I, too loved the 90's ska revival ("Third Wave"). Bosstones, Rancid, No Doubt's early stuff, OC Supertones, Less Than Jake, Dance Hall Crashers, all awesome in my book! Those times were my high school days (graduated in 2000) so they made a big impression on me and my early guitar playing as well.

I finally got to see The Interrupters live a few months ago in Tampa. They just don't make it to Florida very often and the last time they were here was on the last Warped Tour and I had something with the wife going on that day. Awesome show, those guys absolutely rock. Great live band, tons of energy.

ifallalot

Supporting Member
I think I found my new bestest friend!

I, too loved the 90's ska revival ("Third Wave"). Bosstones, Rancid, No Doubt's early stuff, OC Supertones, Less Than Jake, Dance Hall Crashers, all awesome in my book!

I finally got to see The Interrupters live a few months ago in Tampa. They just don't make it to Florida very often and the last time they were here was on the last Warped Tour and I had something with the wife going on that day. Awesome show, those guys absolutely rock. Great live band, tons of energy.
They've played a couple times around me and I've had to miss both. I'm really bummed I missed some festival they were playing on the beach here with a bunch of 90s punk bands like Pennywise and Rancid. They are on my short list for shows to go see

crambone

They've played a couple times around me and I've had to miss both. I'm really bummed I missed some festival they were playing on the beach here with a bunch of 90s punk bands like Pennywise and Rancid. They are on my short list for shows to go see
Do it. DO IT. At least you are near their home-base so you should be able to catch them before I get a chance to again.

centuryx3

Dark days, indeed.

Maybe send him a link to this video:

I liked Annette Funicello when I was a child.
I have played in ska and reggae bands.
I have spent too much of my life on YouTube.
That being said, I have never seen this performance, and don't know what to make of it.

Trending Topics