What is "ska?"

MattDawg5

Love it or hate it, it's hard to deny that some of the more modern ska bands (Less Than Jake, Bosstones, Reel Big Fish, etc.) have some killer bass players and horn sections. You're never going to get much more than some upstrokes on guitar, but the bass players are usually wearing it out!

HTSMetal

Did I somehow miss The Mighty Mighty Bosstones in this thread? No ska thread is complete without them!

I was borderline obsessed with this song at 11 years old when it came out:

dirk_benedict

How a ska thread goes 5 pages on TGP is something of a miracle.

How a ska thread goes 5 pages on TGP without someone putting up some Slackers is a travesty!

Vic is a severely underappreciated talent, and the band is an institution. Go see them if they come to your town. You'll enjoy the hell out of it, no matter your preconceptions on the genre.

Last edited:

Jon Silberman

10Q Jerry & Dickey
Silver Supporting Member
I mentioned that a new song of mine is sort-of a mixture of blues and ska and one of the guys says "what's ska?"

Life under a rock...how IS it under there?

Do statements like this win you many friends?

Seriously, that guy you've mocked knows a think or two about something that you don't. So don't criticize - educate! :D

Mad Wombat

I don't care what you call it or where it came from - I like it, especially 2-tone. Love the beat - gets me moving.
Listening to Too Much Pressure by The Selecter right now.

2HBStrat

Do statements like this win you many friends?

Seriously, that guy you've mocked knows a think or two about something that you don't. So don't criticize - educate! :D
You're right...he DOES know things that I don't know about, and they're all from the 1970's. He just stopped at some point in the 1970's. He still makes comments about something Rodney Dangerfield said on The Tonight Show with Johnny Carson...I mean, THAT'S his typical time frame for conversation, and I'm not kidding.

As for educating him...I did, or...I tried, but he can't be bothered. I played a song by the Specials and one by The English Beat and it was like he couldn't get out of there fast enough.

I remember another incident and I was playing something by a newer artist, Rihanna maybe and he actually just went outside...just no interest, and I literally can not understand that!

And BTW I didn't "confront" him or anything. I did my best to get him to understand about ska. I posted about it here (1) to vent, and (2) just to get the opinions of others...

Thanks!

No_Stairway

Old Mighty Bosstones was ska, but all that compressed pop ska stuff was garbage... RBF, Mighty Bosstones were propably the most popular of that sound.

I've always thought of ska as punk with horns! LOL!
Yes and no! If you go back to it's roots than no, if you go bybthe looser definition of ska from the 90's tha yes, a lot of 90's ska / punk sre hard to define.

No_Stairway

You're right...he DOES know things that I don't know about, and they're all from the 1970's. He just stopped at some point in the 1970's. He still makes comments about something Rodney Dangerfield said on The Tonight Show with Johnny Carson...I mean, THAT'S his typical time frame for conversation, and I'm not kidding.

As for educating him...I did, or...I tried, but he can't be bothered. I played a song by the Specials and one by The English Beat and it was like he couldn't get out of there fast enough.

I remember another incident and I was playing something by a newer artist, Rihanna maybe and he actually just went outside...just no interest, and I literally can not understand that!

And BTW I didn't "confront" him or anything. I did my best to get him to understand about ska. I posted about it here (1) to vent, and (2) just to get the opinions of others...

Thanks!
You give him no respect, no respect I say

ellis dee

Wish I could give this more than one thumbs up. Reese Roper is a national treasure, and the most underrated lyricist alive in my opinion. do you listen to Brave Saint Saturn also?
never heard of Brave Saint Saturn... i'll have to check that out. my nephew plays guitar in five iron frenzy.

Trending Topics