What Is the 10" Celestion Version of the Vintage 30?

teleluvver

I want to replace the original speaker in my 1965 Princeton NR, and I really like the tones that Reggie Young got with a Vintage 30 in his Deluxe Reverb. Obviously the Vintage 30 is a 12" speaker, so I wanted to see if Celestion had a 10" version. Celestion's website says that the G10 vintage has the same voice coil design as the Vintage 30, but I wanted to see if anyone here can verify that it sounds like the the Vintage 30 or if there's another model that I'm missing. Thanks.

teleluvver

Thanks, dbeeman. If there’s not a Celestion version of a 10” Vintage 30, does anyone know of another brand that has a 10” version of that speaker?

MHG

The WGS Retro 10 is really nice! My favorite British 10" for my JTM's. I use it for 1x10 and 2x10 applications. If you feel like trying an American speaker, check out the Fat Jimmy C1025.

mlj_gear

Thanks, dbeeman. If there’s not a Celestion version of a 10” Vintage 30, does anyone know of another brand that has a 10” version of that speaker?
You're not going to get anything more than a rough approximation. A 10" speaker will definitely have a different cone (obviously), almost definitely have a very different magnet size, and often have a different voice coil than the 12" speaker it is approximating in terms of tonal characteristics.

The Celestion G10 Vintage is Celestion's 10-inch "version" of a V30 -- they even claim specifically that it closer to the sound of a Vintage 30 than the earlier Vintage 10 -- but I agree that it doesn't sound exactly the same as a Vintage 30. No 10" speaker will. Does it have some similar characteristics? Yes.

A far as I know, the WGS Retro 10 is their 10-inch version of a Retro 30, which is not the speaker of theirs that is closest to being a Vintage 30 clone: that would be the Veteran 30.

Blanket Jackson

is Tio's favorite
Silver Supporting Member
"A worthy successor to the Vintage 10, the G10 Vintage is a 10" speaker with bags of attitude. Using powerful ceramic magnets and the same voice coil design as the Vintage 30, the G10 packs an impressive punch with its 60W power handling.With the fast response of a 10" but with the strong and creamy vocal tones of a 12", the G10 is the ideal choice to add depth to hollow- sounding amps, or for players who want to get humbucker-type girth from single-coils. Can be used singly to add vocal warmth to small valve combos, or in quartets for a weightier but still lively attack."

They are in the SV20C - sound clips here

Also ...

Maybe a little brigher (but that may be because the examples are not broken in)

Last edited:

MHG

You're not going to get anything more than a rough approximation. A 10" speaker will definitely have a different cone (obviously), almost definitely have a very different magnet size, and often have a different voice coil than the 12" speaker it is approximating in terms of tonal characteristics.

The Celestion G10 Vintage is Celestion's 10-inch "version" of a V30 -- they even claim specifically that it closer to the sound of a Vintage 30 than the earlier Vintage 10 -- but I agree that it doesn't sound exactly the same as a Vintage 30. No 10" speaker will. Does it have some similar characteristics? Yes.

A far as I know, the WGS Retro 10 is their 10-inch version of a Retro 30, which is not the speaker of theirs that is closest to being a Vintage 30 clone: that would be the Veteran 30.
I haven't tried the Vet30, but from what I've been reading, the Retro is more like a V30. The Vet30 is apparently much warmer than the V30. People complained about that, and so they created the Retro. The Retro definitely has the V30 vibe, and has the proper clarity to be a drop-in V30 alternative.

Also, they did a fantastic job of getting the Retro 30 tone and feel in the Retro10. Though they of course have inherent 10" vs 12" differences, they sound really similar. I really love both of them.

Last edited:

kiki_90291

I want to replace the original speaker in my 1965 Princeton NR, and I really like the tones that Reggie Young got with a Vintage 30 in his Deluxe Reverb. Obviously the Vintage 30 is a 12" speaker, so I wanted to see if Celestion had a 10" version. Celestion's website says that the G10 vintage has the same voice coil design as the Vintage 30, but I wanted to see if anyone here can verify that it sounds like the the Vintage 30 or if there's another model that I'm missing. Thanks.
You could get a new baffle for your amp that fits a 12" speaker and put a V30 in.

I have the G10 Vintage, and I feel like it definitely has some V30 character. To my ear it has a similar bite in the top end like a V30. I found it to be completely HUGE sounding compared to the stock 10 inch speaker in my Pro Junior. But I also found that it's a speaker better suited to distortion than clean tones.

teleluvver

I have the G10 Vintage, and I feel like it definitely has some V30 character. To my ear it has a similar bite in the top end like a V30. I found it to be completely HUGE sounding compared to the stock 10 inch speaker in my Pro Junior. But I also found that it's a speaker better suited to distortion than clean tones.
I have the opposite problem right now with the stock Oxford. It is an absolute killer for cleans; but it gets downright ugly with overdrive. This is the reason I'm looking for a speaker. I don't really want to lose that clean sound that I'm getting with the scooped American speaker, but it just does not tolerate dirt.

JPH118

It doesn’t sound exactly like a vintage 30, but the g10 vintage does sound great in a Princeton!
agreed... I have a PRRI in my shop with a G10 right now, and it’s a nice tone, much better to my ears than the stock Jensens. Handles the amp being pushed very well.

mlj_gear

I haven't tried the Vet30, but from what I've been reading, the Retro is more like a V30.
Perhaps so. The Veteran 30 was one of their first two models and the one for which the descriptions have always explicitly referenced the Vintage 30. However, I do see that in their tone chart that they list the Retro 30 as a replacement for a Vintage 30.

Reactions: MHG