• Martin

Votes: 10 38.5%
  • Recording King

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Taylor

Votes: 1 3.8%

• Total voters

Steadfastly

A lot of acoustic bridges are similar but there are some distinct ones as well with their own claims why theirs is best. Does this matter to you when choosing an acoustic guitar? What are your thoughts and preferences if you have any?

Please vote on design, not on your heart or what you have played for years or are now playing.

NOTE: I put them in alphabetical order and I know I didn't include many as there were only ten choices. Feel free to post any not included in the list and why you like it. I have included pictures below in case that helps.

Alvarez/Yairi
1654818393793.png

Breedlove
1654818486703.png

Cole Clark
1654818575787.png

Epiphone

1654818644569.png
1654818665004.png

Gibson

1654818749682.png

Guild
1654818850043.png

Lowden
1654818895995.png

Martin
1654818946107.png

Recording King
1654818984578.png

Taylor
1654819024786.png

Last edited:

Tony Done

I'm not familiar with all of them, and some, such as Gibson, vary a lot with model. I like basic Martin-style pin bridges, preferably with the pins being parallel to the saddle rather than the bridge itself, and I'm certainly OK with minor variations on the Martin theme. Pinless or bridges of more than one piece would be a major minus. - So I voted Martin, but even there, the way some of them are glued would be a minus.

Bobbybigbucks

Gold Supporting Member
I think Alvarez/Yairi is the best design. It eliminates the possibility of the bridge pulling off the guitar top from too high humidity and heat.

I had a DY-52 back in the early 1990's that had that bridge. I really liked the guitar but had to sell it when I bought my first Martin, a D-35.

Bluedano1

My answer is always gonna be Martin!

But I'm partial (29 years beating the heck out of mine at gigs- and really ( until.2018) just this one guitar

gibson3798

There is no “best”, as has been explained repeatedly. Yet obviously still not understood.

There are only personal favorites with little “hard data” behind the choice.

These AGF questions are more popular there.

Steadfastly

There is no “best”, as has been explained repeatedly. Yet obviously still not understood.

There are only personal favorites with little “hard data” behind the choice.

These AGF questions are more popular there.

I respectfully disagree. While what you say may be true for most guitarists, there is data behind many bridge designs. That is why there is so much variety. It's not always looks or to be different.

Tony Done

It would be good to see comments based on design rather than voting with your heart.

Yeah, wrt to bridges, I don't really give much thought to looks, within reason. It is about performance, which includes things like weight and long-term security, and I tend to home in on a more-or-less Martin-sized footprint.

TylerE

No love for a floater with trapeze? I have a OOO setup that way that works really well. $300 Recording King that punches WAY above it's price point.

RPS-JTE-TS_C.png

zombywoof

So, is this a beauty contest or driven by factors such as gluing area, spacing between pins and saddle, and what have you. Me, I like the plain old rectangular bridges which were thicker on the low-end side Gibson used in the 1930s into the early-1940s. Might just be though that is because I really like the guitars they were slapped on. Functionally though not the best idea Kalamazoo ever came up with hence the switch to the more Martin-esque belly down bridges beginning with the SJ in 1943.

Worst bridge design ever award though is a tie. The prize goes to either Kay when they came up with those wacky front-loading wrap around bridges or Gibson for the hollow bolted down plastic bridges.

Last edited:

gibson3798

I respectfully disagree. While what you say may be true for most guitarists, there is data behind many bridge designs. That is why there is so much variety. It's not always looks or to be different.
Respectfully, post this “data” revealing which is the “best” bridge design.

Thousands will be anxiously awaiting the big reveal.

Steadfastly

Respectfully, post this “data” revealing which is the “best” bridge design.

Thousands will be anxiously awaiting the big reveal.
I will post some data down the road but it's readily available to all. Just search acoustic bridge designs.

Top Bottom