• Martin

Votes: 10 38.5%
  • Recording King

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Taylor

Votes: 1 3.8%

• Total voters

andrekp

I respectfully disagree. While what you say may be true for most guitarists, there is data behind many bridge designs. That is why there is so much variety. It's not always looks or to be different.

So do you think that bridges with very different apparent design, like Martin versus Gibson, derive from the same or different data? If the former, what are they different if data leads to a choice? If the later, why is the data different? Do Martin and/or Gibson not know how to figure out how to make a guitar?

Riffi

Courtney DIDN’T Kill Kurt!
Silver Supporting Member
Fender acoustics specifically their California series are fun, young and vibrant. A testament to the SoCal lifestyle and speak to a more modern audience of new age artists, poets and hipsters alike. An acoustic guitar for the 2020s. They’re basically me in a nutshell.

Steadfastly

So do you think that bridges with very different apparent design, like Martin versus Gibson, derive from the same or different data? If the former, what are they different if data leads to a choice? If the later, why is the data different? Do Martin and/or Gibson not know how to figure out how to make a guitar?

No, they are still trying to figure that out. Apparently, they have some designs in house and plan on marketing them next year. :)

Ask a _______ question, get a ______ answer.

Jayyj

Silver Supporting Member
I would say purely from a design perspective pinless makes good sense from a practical point of view, bottom belly with a bit of sweep to it a good idea in terms of handling string pull stability for the top area. The Lowden design is probably the stand out of the examples given if we're thinking in terms of the practical implications of the design, and it looks good too.

Aesthetically I like a rectangular bridge with pins though, dammit.

zombywoof

Harmony, of course, has been going with pinless bridges since at least 1940. Problem is their design lacked a string beak angle. Those they went with on the Sovereign H1260 though were certainly stylish looking.

gibson3798

So I took that advice to “search bridge designs”, and not one claim was made stating ANY of those designs to be the “best” bridge design.

Why, because as my first post stated, there is no “best” bridge design. Just as there is no “best” in nearly any component, style, make, design, or model, in the guitar world. There are only favorites, groups of well designed and proven instruments and components.

These “best” threads are non-starters for anyone who has real world experience in wooden instruments. They’re forum discussion fodder with no consensus.

It increases ones post count but does nothing to provide actual information to someone thinking they might finally learn what’s “best” for them to play.

That, being my distaste for such fluff.

Steadfastly

So I took that advice to “search bridge designs”, and not one claim was made stating ANY of those designs to be the “best” bridge design.

Why, because as my first post stated, there is no “best” bridge design. Just as there is no “best” in nearly any component, style, make, design, or model, in the guitar world. There are only favorites, groups of well designed and proven instruments and components.

These “best” threads are non-starters for anyone who has real world experience in wooden instruments. They’re forum discussion fodder with no consensus.

It increases ones post count but does nothing to provide actual information to someone thinking they might finally learn what’s “best” for them to play.

That, being my distaste for such fluff.

Who said there was data on the "best" bridge design. I certainly didn't. I said there was data. You members have to decide which is the best design. I know what mine is and the reasons for it. Others may have their reasons for it but i would prefer to see the design reasons, not the heart reasons. Perhaps some like one because of it's beautiful design. I can understand that because I like beautiful designs too but that is not enough to sway me in my pick.

So, look at the designs and pick the one you think is the best and then vote and tell us.

Alan Wolf

Silver Supporting Member
So, it’s a beauty contest? And is part of the ranking based on random notions like vibration transfer, or the way that stress gets passed onto the lower bout at the bridge corners?

Before I’d rate a pinned bridge, I’d want to know if it’s slotted, are the pin holes tapered, those sorts of things. I was pretty surprised last year when I set up an 00-18 (which I am very satisfied with!) that not only were the holes non slotted (20 minutes of sawing through the top—no worries, right?) but they were also just 2 diameters, rather than being bored with a tapered bit! That is not a bridge I would rate highly, other than it’s “classic” looks.

gibson3798

Who said there was data on the "best" bridge design. I certainly didn't. I said there was data. You members have to decide which is the best design. I know what mine is and the reasons for it. Others may have their reasons for it but i would prefer to see the design reasons, not the heart reasons. Perhaps some like one because of it's beautiful design. I can understand that because I like beautiful designs too but that is not enough to sway me in my pick.

So, look at the designs and pick the one you think is the best and then vote and tell
Your thread is entitled “best”. You said you had data, which would lead one to assume it had something to do with the title of the thread.

So, as I surmised in my first post, this is yet another AGF-type popularity poll and has little, perhaps nothing to do with the “data” you were to present.

There is no “best” design and “members” aren’t going to “decide which is the best design”. They’re simply going to vote on their favorite, which would have been a far more accurate title of the poll, IMHO.

Steadfastly

Your thread is entitled “best”. You said you had data, which would lead one to assume it had something to do with the title of the thread.

So, as I surmised in my first post, this is yet another AGF-type popularity poll and has little, perhaps nothing to do with the “data” you were to present.

There is no “best” design and “members” aren’t going to “decide which is the best design”. They’re simply going to vote on their favorite, which would have been a far more accurate title of the poll, IMHO.

Then stop arguing and start your own poll. :)

Dbl_D

Platinum Supporting Member
The most beautifully crafted bridge IMO is the Gibson "mustache". As is said, "I wouldn't kick that out of the band."
Functionality, it's been around forever, so it can't suck that bad.

s2y

People call a lot of inexpensive guitars cheap when they are not. They just don't cost a lot of money.

It's all about wood and bracing. Fancy double tops aside, laminates generally aren't known for the resonance and sustain compared to solids. This is almost always combined with heavier bracing and being "overbuilt". Guitar companies do this for warranty purposes since they're under the impression that the owner isn't going to pay much attention to humidification. Compared to something like a nice Martin, an overbuilt and/or laminate acoustic is generally going to sound boxier and dull. It's like comparing laptop speakers to a stereo.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom