• Martin

Votes: 10 38.5%
  • Recording King

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Taylor

Votes: 1 3.8%

• Total voters

gibson3798

Then stop arguing and start your own poll. :)
Arguing? You asked me a direct question didn't you? I answered it and I'm sorry if it wasn't the answer you wanted but I tried to do the best I could with your question.

I would never start a "which is best" poll for many of the same reasons I'd never ask a question and then tell someone stop answering. And like the "poll" I'll let you guess as to why.

Steadfastly

I'd never ask a question and then tell someone stop answering.

You like putting words in other people's mouths, eh? Quote where I told you to stop answering. I told you to stop arguing which you were doing. Stop wasting my time or I'll simply put you on ignore.

gibson3798

You like putting words in other people's mouths, eh? Quote where I told you to stop answering. I told you to stop arguing which you were doing. Stop wasting my time or I'll simply put you on ignore.
My suggestion would be for us both to stop wasting each others time.

If considering more “best” polls, puttting me on ignore might be a good move.

Silent Sound

Modern acoustic guitars have been around for over 100 years. They're all good bridge designs these days. I wouldn't sweat the little stuff. If there was one, clearly superior design, everyone would be using that. No guitar maker wants to be known as the company that uses inferior designs.

Steadfastly

Modern acoustic guitars have been around for over 100 years. They're all good bridge designs these days. I wouldn't sweat the little stuff. If there was one, clearly superior design, everyone would be using that. No guitar maker wants to be known as the company that uses inferior designs.

I agree with you SS. This must be true for all the good mfrs. There is likely some of the mfrs. who have been asked to produce as cheap an acoustic as they can and they put on that guitar whatever is the cheapest they can. That, though, is rare.

Steadfastly

I see more have chosen Martin which I expected because they likely sell more guitars than anyone else. Here is my choice and the reason why. The Alvarez/Yairi. It is the most different and the reason is in the video below. The whole video is great but start at the 18:00 minute mark for the bridge information.

andrekp

I see more have chosen Martin which I expected because they likely sell more guitars than anyone else. Here is my choice and the reason why. The Alvarez/Yairi. It is the most different and the reason is in the video below. The whole video is great but start at the 18:00 minute mark for the bridge information.

I don’t agree with his premise that the main thing that matters is downward pressure on the saddle imparting vibration.

The general viewpoint held is that the bridge, as a whole, imparts vibration to the top, by the saddle downward pressure, but just as importantly by the torquing action that wants to roll the bridge fore and back as it vibrates. In other words, that belly on the Martin belly bridge is pulling up on the top as the bridge vibrates, it’s not just a glue point.

Now, the question is fairly, is this better? I don’t know. I do know that the Yairi is an outlier design. And while Martin is very bound by tradition, mostly, it’s hard to imagine they aren’t aware of this design. Same with other manufacturers. Seems like if it was clearly superior, it would have spread a bit. I don’t know.

But I do think his premise is somewhat limited.

Steadfastly

I don’t agree with his premise that the main thing that matters is downward pressure on the saddle imparting vibration.

The general viewpoint held is that the bridge, as a whole, imparts vibration to the top, by the saddle downward pressure, but just as importantly by the torquing action that wants to roll the bridge fore and back as it vibrates. In other words, that belly on the Martin belly bridge is pulling up on the top as the bridge vibrates, it’s not just a glue point.

Now, the question is fairly, is this better? I don’t know. I do know that the Yairi is an outlier design. And while Martin is very bound by tradition, mostly, it’s hard to imagine they aren’t aware of this design. Same with other manufacturers. Seems like if it was clearly superior, it would have spread a bit. I don’t know.

But I do think his premise is somewhat limited.

I think that this professional musician who has been playing since he was a kid, has been on the Opry stage and has likely played more guitars than most here, knows more than we do.

I also don't think that Martin, Taylor or Gibson can copy that design due to patents and wouldn't want to admit that a competitor has a better design than they do.

Last edited:

vadsy

Silver Supporting Member
I would like to see the research data rather than the opinion of some you-tuber. As far as I'm concerned the guy is going on his 'feeling' and bias.

Play what you like. I play a Martin, I used to play a Larrivee, before that a Taylor and I even gave a Washburn a solid couple of years. It worked at the time.

andrekp

I think that this profession musician who has been playing since he was a kid, has been on the Opry stage and has likely played more guitars than most here, knows more than we do.

I also don't think that Martin, Taylor or Gibson can copy that design due to patents and wouldn't want to admit that a competitor has a better design than they do.
This isn’t MY opinion, it is a widely held opinion from very respectable and knowledgeable people, many of whom have been making and playing guitars for a long time. Go ask over on the Martin form how a bridge works and see what answer you get. I can think of a couple of ways to use the main feature of that design without infringing.

I think you are coming to this whole “poll” with a preconceived goal in mind and you are just arguing with anyone who disagrees with your viewpoint.

Last edited:

Steadfastly

This isn’t MY opinion, it is a widely held opinion from very respectable and knowledgeable people, many of whose have been making and playing guitars for a long time. Go ask over on the Martin form how a bridge works and see what answer you get. I can think of a couple of ways to use the main feature of that design without infringing.

I think you are coming to this whole “poll” with a preconceived goal in mind and you are just arguing with anyone who disagrees with your viewpoint.

Wow, a mind reader on the membership roll. Nope, I came here for a reasonable discussion, which you seem to be incapable of. You are the one arguing. I am just dispensing information.

andrekp

Wow, a mind reader on the membership roll. Nope, I came here for a reasonable discussion, which you seem to be incapable of. You are the one arguing. I am just dispensing information.

Lol.

I’ve looked at all of your posts in this thread. While you have dispensed a few opinions, you have not dispensed even one piece of actual information, beyond the implied one that you don’t really have any more interest in this “poll” than disagreeing with everyone.

Stop feeding the troll, everyone.

Steadfastly

Lol.

I’ve looked at all of your posts in this thread. While you have dispensed a few opinions, you have not dispensed even one piece of actual information, beyond the implied one that you don’t really have any more interest in this “poll” than disagreeing with everyone.

Don't you find when someone can't come up with reasons they are correct, they resort to calling other people names? It has been going on for centuries.

If you think you have a better design, we are all ears. Don't we all want the best? Show us what is best if you know it and give us the physics of why it is.

Rather than just arguing, SHOW us.

davess23

Gold Supporting Member
I consider the pyramid bridge on my Collings 0002h to be the best. Aesthetics are right on target for me. Seems to work very well, too.

(This pic is from the Collings site, not of my guitar. Mine looks the same, only darker yellow top because I got it in 1995.)

1656352945573.png

Last edited:

TobyB

Name calling is just silly here.

There is a HUGE amount written, measured, tested, scanned etc of studies of acoustic instruments engineering... of the vibration modes (Cleidach plates and laser reflection) and motions of the soundboard which depend on thickness carve, bracings, sound hole and how it is driven by the position and design of the bridge (as well a the back and sides structure ...)

Maybe study some of that?

gibson3798

Lol.

You're on point with this guy. He had a lame premise, that there was a "best" bridge design. When I called him out on it, first he said he never said there as a "best" bridge design. He promised evidence and we get this silly video, dispensing one guys opinion.

He's probably mad he's not posting on the AGF where he can whine and report someone.

His thing is disagreeing with those that call out the nonsense of claiming there is a "best" anything in the guitar world. I'm looking forward to his next poll.

vadsy

Silver Supporting Member
He's probably mad he's not posting on the AGF where he can whine and report someone.

I believe it was these sort of threads and arguments that brought things to an end for the OP on AGF. I remember similar posts and then one day they just stopped.

Steadfastly

You're on point with this guy. He had a lame premise, that there was a "best" bridge design. When I called him out on it, first he said he never said there as a "best" bridge design. He promised evidence and we get this silly video, dispensing one guys opinion.

His thing is disagreeing with those that call out the nonsense of claiming there is a "best" anything in the guitar world. I'm looking forward to his next poll.

Here is my quote. I guess you didn't read it. "Here is my choice and the reason why."

Notice I did not say it was the best design. I said it was "my choice".

What is your choice and the reason why? I asked your buddy andrekp but he hasn't responded with his reason yet.

Mr Fingers

Several of the options given and shown are second-rate because they include obvious visual features that add weight or distort shape and function in order to look groovy. There is no single best bridge because the bridge design (shape, weight, break angle) must couple effectively with the bridge plate and bracing effectively. Of those listed, many are obviously second-rate because the guitars are second-rate. Of the superior guitars listed -- Martin, Lowden, then Taylor a notch below -- all have excellent overall structural systems and none have compromised function for flash in bridge design. Many Gibsons have obviously terrible bridges and are dull because if this (though making them great guitars to accompany voice); the Cole Clark is significantly more massive than necessary, a bad move. Epi bridges are meh at best, which is one reason why Epis sound meh at best. It's pretty easy to see what bridge/plate/bracing systems are acoustically serious and which are compromised for looks, cost, or easy manufacture.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom