What is the best amp you have ever played??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by hippieboy, Apr 17, 2019.

1. Goldtop

Goldtop Member

My Little Dawg Supers and a BF 65 Pro Reverb that I had for many years

hippieboy likes this.
  2. Jr Deluxe

Jr Deluxe Member

No such thing as a best amp. Some amps might do led zeppelin well and suck for playing the ramones. Some amps work well for a strat but suck with a gibson or a rick or a whatever. If you think you've played the best amp, you haven't. Because I have it right here.

3. sleewell

sleewell Member

for metal: my 5153

for everything else: the fuchs tds 50 or 100 i used to own.

hippieboy likes this.
  4. 2Plus2isChicken

2Plus2isChicken Member

I haven't played a lot of amps really. My favorite amp I've used is a Carvin VT16 combo. It's a little EL84-powered amp similar to a Blues Junior sound-wise. It can break up a bit even at lower volumes by cranking the "Soak" knob past about 7, but the main thing I like about it is that you can dial in a really nice Fendery clean tone that can get fairly loud and it sounds great with every distortion pedal I've used with it. It has built-in digital reverb that also sounds decent, and the amp doesn't weigh a ton. It's the one tube amp I own that I want to keep. I just hope it is serviceable in the future since Carvin doesn't make amps anymore.

hippieboy likes this.
  5. MkIII Renegade

MkIII Renegade Member

Hiding from Murder Hornets in Atlanta, GA
    If 70s, a Mark I, if a couple of years into the '80s, could have been some version of the Mark II.

hippieboy and EL84 Abuser like this.
  6. jujube

jujube Member

They were always available as an option right from the start in 1971.

EL84 Abuser likes this.
  7. gslopez30

gslopez30 Member

I am super interested in getting a TopHat Club Royale, but no way of trying one.

How does a 2x12 Club Royale Combo hold up against a heavy handed drummer with a bass player (15 inch cab) and other guitarist (deluxe reverb) playing blues rock (think Black Keys/Cage Elephant)?

My style is never sparkly clean, always some dirt/grit happening and NO distortion/overdrive/boost pedals, only fuzz.

8. ahab

ahab Member

Honestly, I think it depends on the style of music and just how heavy handed we are talking about here.

On many stages that I have played, the Club Royale worked well. Much of this has to do with the allowed stage volume that club owners and sound engineers are willing to allow. That said, I have played in really loud rock bands where I needed more volume and punch than what a Club Royale could provide (but I played in most of those bands prior to buying my Club Royale). 20 watts will not give the low and low-mid thump that a 100 watter is going to provide even if the volumes are similar. In other words, if you are going to require a lot of punch at really loud volumes, I would probably go with something with more watts (to me, the Emplexador 100 is perfect). If you are going to use it primarily mic'd, you will have no trouble getting it over a loud drummer.

9. gslopez30

gslopez30 Member

That helped tremendously thanks.

I always stack the combo amp on its road case for my ear level not directly behind me but diagonal.

So if I am reading into your response correctly, it sounds like it can cover A LOT of ground regarding stages?

I’m obsessed with EL84 amps, and I have an AC30C3 LTD (w/creambacks), and it just doesn’t have the “sound” I’m looking for. Volume wise it’s perfection cuz it’s so sonically blasty, but I’m not feeling it. After some soul searching I just love lower wattage amps that get to sweet spots w/ taking off heads, but I’m afraid of getting buried when jamming.

I can’t test these amps myself causing me to reach out to you guys to get a feel, thanks.

10. NorCal_Val

NorCal_Val Member

For straight up rock/hard rock,
    I’m going with @FiestaRed ’s Suhr PT100SE. Then, he sold it to me!
    (Thanks Mark!!!!)

hippieboy and DV52 like this.
  11. VICOwner

VICOwner Supporting Member

hippieboy and jonnytexas like this.
  12. ahab

ahab Member

Yes, it's a great, great amp for clubs that mic amps. I have also played it at an outdoor event in front of a major league ballpark, and it did great (again, mic'd). On the other hand, next to a very loud rock drummer (think Big Wreck, Soundgarden, etc.), in a small space with no mic, the low end may get a little lost.

To my ears, the Club Royale is more Marshally (depending on the iteration of the Club Royale that you are hearing) than Voxy, although the newer versions may slide a little back to Vox. You might reach out to Teleplayer (here on TGP), he has had a lot of experience playing Club Royales whereas I have only played two, and one of them I own. That said, I have owned mine since 2005 (I think) and it was built in 2001. There have been some changes to the model along the way, which is again why I am suggesting that you contact Teleplayer. As far as I can tell from reading his posts here, he seems quite willing to discuss all things TopHat.

Please feel free to PM me if you have any other questions about my experiences with the Club Royale, I would be happy to elaborate.

gslopez30 likes this.
  13. your name here

your name here Supporting Member

A JTM45 Offset reissue. I’ve wanted one since the limited run of 300 came out in 2000. Finally after not being able to afford it, then waiting, then putting it off to buy other things, etc... I finally bought one. Near mint with original boxes. It’ll be here tomorrow.

[​IMG]

14. Laser

Laser Member

Distortion: Fuchs TDS. "Cuts Like A Knife" on chords, "Still Got The Blues" on solos (only sweeter).

Clean: Lonestar Classic.

In-Between: A vintage Fender Deluxe cranked for a large venue (it wasn't mine, but after playing it on two songs, I wish it were)

hippieboy likes this.
  15. DiPa

DiPa Constant GAS Gold Supporting Member

This amp is the King, love it, hope you enjoying it, I brought my two out today and I had forgotten the meaning of sweetness...yeah these are sweet.

your name here, Rossi163 and DV52 like this.
  16. your name here

your name here Supporting Member

Yeah, man. Still LOVING mine. I bought a Freyette Power Station 2 and a set of road cases for it. The cases just arrived today, actually. Well worth it to protect the amp when I take it out - which I plan to - but man it added some weight. Haha

Regrettably, my music room is upstairs... Gonna change that when picking our next house. Haha

17. Guru Meditation

Guru Meditation Member

'77 JMP2204. Angels & Demons inside. Singing or Screaming for Vengeance.

hippieboy and Crash-VR like this.
  18. MRscratch

MRscratch Member

i own the " ones"
    The two Trainwrecks that JM built for me
    Express Desiree
    Trem Rocket Wahine
    those amps are pure magic.
    My 69 plexi with basket weave cab
    my 57 Harvard
    My 45410 Vicky
    those amps are the top of the heap to me

e??? and hippieboy like this.
  19. stargazer747

stargazer747 Member

While I've had since my first years of playing amps by Peavey, Gallien-Krueger, Marhsall, Fender, Blackstar, Hughes & Kettner all of which at the time I owned them I considered them the best, right? that's what everyone does, you pick the one you think is best. Right now I have 4x Orange Terrors which I think have the best, most natural and warm sounding, authentic tone and made just perfect; the right size & weight lunchbox design, built solid, and loud as HELL! And I have tried so many others in stores, studios, and friend's homes and still feel my Terrors rock the best.

hippieboy likes this.
  20. rockin robbie

rockin robbie Supporting Member

WIZARD MC 25. Eats my Bogner Helios for lunch.

hippieboy likes this.