What is the best cable for suppleness?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by dazco, Apr 15, 2015.

1. dazco

dazco Member

Wasn't sure how else to put it in the title, but what i mean is cable that not only has low capacitence, but one that lays down and doesn't kink up too much. Talking bulk cable here, not premade. I have some mogami 2524 whick is highly regarded for it's clarity, but man this stuf kinks and coils up and sticks up from the floor in coils that i then step thru and....well, you get the picture. I need something that has some weight to it and lays down. And again, low cap like the mogami.

2. beforetone

beforetone Member

3. Eagle1

Eagle1 Member

The mogami is not particularly low cap. You should just try to find a quality built cable that has the physical attributes you want and see how it sounds. Many of the low cap cable just don't sound nice.

4. tdarian

tdarian Gold Supporting Member

5. ChunkyB

ChunkyB Member

I have some some those braided cables that I like for this very reason. They don't get tangled, and they tend to lay flat on the ground.

6. 9fingers

9fingers Supporting Member

A plus on this cable. I can't stand cables that stay in loops off the floor & trip me up on stage. The blue Gotham is my fav cable. Very good sound, good durability, low tangle factor and reasonable price. I have 4 that I have used for years with no issues.

7. zos

zos Member

Van Damme pro grade classic XKE

Awesome cable

8. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Member

Canare is rugged but flexible.
    sounds good even if a bit higher in cap.

9. saf_1

saf_1 Member

I use George L's, but although very slim, it is not what I'd consider supple at all. I've been using their cable for quite awhile because I like the way it sounds, but it has always seemed to tangle pretty easily - and is not particularly rugged, either. I may have to check out the Gotham.

10. Guitarwiz007

Guitarwiz007 Silver Supporting Member

For this very reason I went with the Line 6 G50 wireless. Best wireless I've ever owned including Shure, Sennheiser, and AT. Easily the best gear investment I've made in a while. And the thing sounds pristine. I will NOT gig without it. Been using it for about 3 years (about 100 gig/yr) now with zero issues. Beats the hell out of a cable every time.

11. saf_1

saf_1 Member

Yeah, I've been looking at them myself. Had an earlier AT system which was ok, for a relatively inexpensive rig. Hadn't used it in years, and broke it out the other night... and it sounded like CRAP! :eek: Anyway, if I start gigging again, I am giving very serious consideration to the Line6 system - have heard lots of good things about them.

12. loudboy

loudboy Member

I've used the Canare GS-6 for years, and it works well for me.

I tried to Mogami and it sounded like something was choking the sound, so I switched back.

13. dazco

dazco Member

Well, the mogami i have sounds great. Not the slightest bit of "something choking the sound". But please lets stick to cable brands, not premade which may be called joe's cable but made with canare or mogami or whatever. I need raw cable names, as i will be making my own. I will look at the raw cable brands that have been mentioned so far.

14. westchesterdave

westchesterdave Member

15. loudboy

loudboy Member

I make all my own. I just didn't like the way the Mogami felt when I played, it was very different than the GS-6 I was used to.

It took me a while to realize it was the cable.

16. Ben C.

Ben C. Member

Vovox.
    Low cap, feels and lays like an oversized, broken in shoelace.

17. dazco

dazco Member

Where can i find it in the US In bulk? Again....i'm not looking for premade cables, i want to buy it by the foot.

18. Ben C.

Ben C. Member

19. Guitarwiz007

Guitarwiz007 Silver Supporting Member

I've been nothing but impressed with the G50. It actually sounds better than any cable I've ever used. Know several players in the area that use either this or the G70. Haven't heard one complaint and all thumbs up. That being said, my bass player ordered the G30 and that was ok but had a plastic transmitter and he wanted the features mine has so sent it back to AMS and got the G50. Loves it.