What is the best Combo amp for all around gigging clubs

kimos55

Follow your dreams turst your heart
Gold Supporting Member
I play R &B, Blues, Jazz and country, pop and have to be ready to play almost anything, I Just want to get the best all around Combo 1 X 12 . I still gig a lot and am moving in and out of clubs means weight does matter, I have been using a Rivera Venus, She sounds better then my Fender Deluxe although I swap the 2 combos every week.

What is your opinion of the best sounding all around Combo amp that doesn't weigh a Ton but sounds great. Carr? Fender, Magnarone, marsahall,
Let me know I want a new combo that is a work horse that sounds great. One last thing because I think clean is important I think that she should be at least 30-50w and take pedals well

Last edited:

Rumors of War

Silver Supporting Member
I think your Deluxe is an industry standard. I really liked my 65 London 1x12 combo when I was gigging a lot. I played a show with a borrowed HRD that sounded great with the quality pedals I was rocking. If it ain't broke...might apply here.

Rod

Tone is Paramount
Gold Supporting Member
The infamous Juke Coda 1/12. Because of the triode/pentode and fixed bias/cathode bias switches the amp can run at 6,10,18 or 30 watts. The onboard sideband reverb and tremolo and vibrato are wonderful.a very unique and toneful all hand wired guitar amp. Gary has the 18 watt Vamp on sale for $1195 now. An absolute steal....Wish I could grab one. He is listed in the Emporium under Warbler Muse

Wyatt Martin

For a smaller lightweight 112 I actually liked the PV Classic 30. I was gigging with a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, moved to a Twin Reverb and on a whim picked up a Classic 30 and liked it best in live settings. For as powerful as my Twin was I could still hear myself better with the Classic 30. It takes pedals really well to, better than my Fenders in my opinion.

joebloggs13

I play R &B, Blues, Jazz and country, pop and have to be ready to play almost anything, I Just want to get the best all around Combo 1 X 12 . I still gig a lot and am moving in and out of clubs means weight does matter, I have been using a Rivera Venus, She sounds better then my Fender Deluxe although I swap the 2 combos every week.

What is your opinion of the best sounding all around Combo amp that doesn't weigh a Ton but sounds great. Carr? Fender, Magnarone, marsahall,
Let me know I want a new combo that is a work horse that sounds great. One last thing because I think clean is important I think that she should be at least 30-50w and take pedals well
I would check out the Carr Telstar. Sounds fantastic and super versatile. You can swap out tubes quickly for different tones, without having to re bias. That combination is hard to beat.

Ejay

I landed on an egnater rebel30 and a fendersuperchampx2 if I really want to travel light. Mainly doing small clubs, from straight ahead jazz to pop/bluesy stuff. (No chuggachugga)

The rebel30 is compact and light for a 30w amps, powescaling if you are into that, also you can dial stepless from one to the other powertubes it has, effectloop. Takes pedals well, always fits nicely into a band mix which is “proof of the pudding” to me for a “gig amp”. Though it wasn’t the reason I got this amp...it’s also very affordable. Only downside is that it’s a tad noisy on very (very) low volume. No problem at even the lowest volume stages, but it may irritate an @home player.

Fendersuperchampx2 I got for a regular straight ahead gig which included 3 stairs...but that amp really surprised me, and it has actually become my most frequently used amp for clubs gigs. Offcourse with its 15w you have to be mindful when you take it, it will not get you thru the loudest of gigs. But it has plenty headroom to stay clean up to the point where I’m gonna grab earplugs anyway, and it’s half decent line out allows getting some back up from stagewedges/foh..which is actually quite nice. Takes pedals wonderful, works in a mix...and is obviously a breeze setting up/carrying. Offcourse it cant be your only amp...but to me it has been the best amp money spend ever...love that little dwarf ;)

Here’s a soundcheck with the superchamp going into the first tune at a local club, solo at 6:00

Btw, Ive played both these amps in a “traditional” set up, but mostly use them with a modeler into the return, which provides me flexibility to get “anything anytime” soundwise, good foh feed in a very compact setup, without any compromise soundwise in the application where a tube amp powers it.

ProfRhino

For a smaller lightweight 112 I actually liked the PV Classic 30. I was gigging with a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, moved to a Twin Reverb and on a whim picked up a Classic 30 and liked it best in live settings. For as powerful as my Twin was I could still hear myself better with the Classic 30. It takes pedals really well to, better than my Fenders in my opinion.
+1 on the Classic, but I would go with the 50 for its considerably higher headroom.
my 212 served me well for many hundreds of gigs, lucky divorces to open air stages, not a single bad tone day ! :love:
not having to baby it (easy to replace, in case) was a distinct bonus too.
a Maz would be another solid choice, a bit more "noble" though.

ymmv,
Rhino

59Bassman

Plank Cranker
Gold Supporting Member
Suhr Bella Reverb
Great, great shout. Mine is the earlier non-reverb model. It takes a bit of experimentation to find the drive pedals the Bella likes, but it’s a beautiful sounding amplifier.

dewey decibel

There’s no best, homeslice. If there were, you wouldn’t have to ask the question, we’d all know what the answer was. I like Tone King, you could check out the Imperial, Sky King, Metropolitan, or Meteor. Another common name brought up under this topic but I haven’t seen mentioned yet is Redplate. Good luck in your search!

Meriphew

As far as what's best, that's all subjective. My personal grab and go gig amp is a Fender Edge Deluxe. Sounds great, pretty flexible, lightweight, and built well.

itguy61

Gold Supporting Member
Great, great shout. Mine is the earlier non-reverb model. It takes a bit of experimentation to find the drive pedals the Bella likes, but it’s a beautiful sounding amplifier.

Just out of curiosity, did you find drive pedals that you liked with the Bella? Suggestions are welcome since I am in this mode right now.

2L man

I won’t recommend an amplifier but IMHO Jensen Tornado is the loudspeaker to consider. It has great clean sounds and distorted are good as well. Yes there are lots of better loudspeakers for certain genres and then Stealth 65, 80 or N12K could be better but still cover others too?

On some reviews Tornado is said to be too HiFi but perhaps becsuse of it Tornado never sounds bad and all pedals I have used sound good thru it. Also being neo it is very light and takes amps up to 50W.

59Bassman

Plank Cranker
Gold Supporting Member
Just out of curiosity, did you find drive pedals that you liked with the Bella? Suggestions are welcome since I am in this mode right now.
My current favorite is the Wampler Tumnus into a Greer Lightspeed. I’ve also gigged and enjoyed a Wampler Dual Fusion, the Tumnus into a Snouse Black Box, and a Timmy into a Bogner Blue.

It really does not like my Boss SD-1s or Tubescreamers.

Trending Topics