What is the best Combo amp for all around gigging clubs

Jim234

Somerhing solid state. Your doing lots of gigs so stairs, in and out the car. Its going to get some knocks and you need reliability. Kat does everything, Blackstar Silverline, Nextone, Blues Cube - only amp I have used on the cicuit 3 years plus.

If you go tube then HRD or Peavey Classic, HRD is easy to maintain and just a work horse. It does not get much love in TGP land but gets the job done.

jaxjaxon

I am a Fender man Look at the GTX series. I am using the G Dec series and I can get almost any amp sound I want and stack almost any pedal I want thru its effects section. I use the 4 button foot controler to switch presets and as my tuner. when it is set to a clean amp there is alot of head room for pedals going straight into the front.

harvey j

I landed on an egnater rebel30 and a fendersuperchampx2 if I really want to travel light. Mainly doing small clubs, from straight ahead jazz to pop/bluesy stuff. (No chuggachugga)

The rebel30 is compact and light for a 30w amps, powescaling if you are into that, also you can dial stepless from one to the other powertubes it has, effectloop. Takes pedals well, always fits nicely into a band mix which is “proof of the pudding” to me for a “gig amp”. Though it wasn’t the reason I got this amp...it’s also very affordable. Only downside is that it’s a tad noisy on very (very) low volume. No problem at even the lowest volume stages, but it may irritate an @home player.

Fendersuperchampx2 I got for a regular straight ahead gig which included 3 stairs...but that amp really surprised me, and it has actually become my most frequently used amp for clubs gigs. Offcourse with its 15w you have to be mindful when you take it, it will not get you thru the loudest of gigs. But it has plenty headroom to stay clean up to the point where I’m gonna grab earplugs anyway, and it’s half decent line out allows getting some back up from stagewedges/foh..which is actually quite nice. Takes pedals wonderful, works in a mix...and is obviously a breeze setting up/carrying. Offcourse it cant be your only amp...but to me it has been the best amp money spend ever...love that little dwarf ;)

Here’s a soundcheck with the superchamp going into the first tune at a local club, solo at 6:00

Btw, Ive played both these amps in a “traditional” set up, but mostly use them with a modeler into the return, which provides me flexibility to get “anything anytime” soundwise, good foh feed in a very compact setup, without any compromise soundwise in the application where a tube amp powers it.
The super champ x2 with a good speaker sounds good, the stock speaker is junk.

ripgtr

I agree with this about the Bella. It has more mids than a Fender Blackface (my other amp is a ‘67 Pro Reverb) so I didn’t like mid humped tubescreamers with it. I am using a Lovepedal Tchula, Lovepedal Box of Awesome and a Boss OS2 with mine. They sound fantastic, especially the Tchula.
Yea, I have a '66 pro reverb, though there are similarities, the Bella is definitely fatter in the mids.
I'm using a Kingsley Jester as my main drive pedal, but I put the sizzle mod on it, so it has more high end. Didn't need that much with the SFDR or Pro, but nice with the Bella.

But not sure I'd call it light weight. It ain't Mark IV heavy but it is a good 10 pounds heavier than the DR. I did try the Katana for light weight. I thought it sounded pretty good at home, it lasted one song at rehearsal. I'd rather carry the Bella. I should have gotten it as the head/speaker combo though.

doublescale1

Suhr S-Classic, V60LP's, Soft V neck
Gold Supporting Member
Easy to live with Fender voiced 1X12 gig friendly club amps:
  1. +3 on a Carr Rambler 1X12 - total clean pedal platform - used it becomes a tremendous value. 28 or 14 watts Pentode/Triode modes, rev/trem built in, TMB tone control allows BF to Tweed voicing (tweedy especially in Triode mode, extra sag over Pentode mode), bullet-proof handwired built, a deeper than norm PR type cab for no boxiness ever - a lifetime traditional tube keeper.
  2. Mesa Mark V:35 1X12 combo - 2ch Mesa w/Clean/Fat/Crunch on ch1, ODX3 voices on Ch2. Separate reverb for each ch., and footswitchable 5-band EQ & clean boost for solo's for each ch, 10, 25. 35 watt power selection for each ch., built-in XLR CabClone-Sim direct out to FOH. Just an incredibly well thought out gigging amp with power availability for today's club gigs (still can get hella-loud). I regularly gig clean ch @ 35 watts but OD @ 10 watts; with individual master volumes for each ch. it balances perfectly. I did put a Celestion Neo Creamback in it to get a little lower weight for easier grab-n-go. Not many things it can't do on stage. I just need one light OD for "edge of breakup" (Bluesbreaker clone) on the board with the Mesa MV:35.
  3. The all tube value leader pedal platform: the VHT Special 12/20 -1X12 (stock 12 watts w/2X6V6, optional 20 watts w/2X6L6 w/easy internal bias switch)- US Designed, Asian built, intentionally designed as a loud clean pedal platform and it delivers - PR voice with just a bit more mids in an oversized cab for no boxy sound (deeper than a Fender cab), built-in power attenuator and other gig-friendly appointments, very well thought out design, handwired easy to maintain construction, full schematic included w/owners manual.
  4. Solid State loud clean BF pedal platform, Quilter 101 head (2.5lbs), available w/Rev., combined with the Quilter BlockDock 1X12HD cab (19.lbs) - total weight 22.5lbs 1X12 head/cab rig with 100 watts ss clean "Surf" setting (think Twin Reverb clean) and a 300watt Celestion Neo speaker. You can dial in some mids to that Surf setting to approach Tweed territory if you like. Either head tucks inside the back of the 1X12 cab for a small profile rig (cab comes w/Nylon cover so the entire rig is wrapped and ready to go). Quilter now has a 200 watt head same size and basic weight, I have not encountered a situation where the 101 was not loud enough, even outside. YMMV, so more power is out there if you feel the need.
I have one of each and they will all do the job, they all eat any and all OD pedals comfortably and reproduce the OD voice the box intends, it just depends on where you're playing, what the set list is, how involved the load-in/out will be, and how much you want to carry. I also use a Palmer PDI09 Direct box for all of those 1X12 amps to FOH - the mixer loves that - XLR out to PA for the same great 2X12 cab-sim sound from any amp, night after night (the Mesa has built-in CabClone for FOH direct-out). These are med-powered amps that I have used with a full PA easily - if you're gigging without a PA they may not have enough power to compete with a loud drummer, though the Mesa may be the exception here. I'm in a big 9-piece band that always has a PA, if the club does not have one we bring one in. Hope this helps, Good Hunting.

Last edited:

Alan Wolf

Silver Supporting Member
Since there’s already been three Vibrolux suggestions, I’d like to forward an offshoot—an Allen Encore. Could be either a 1x12 or a 2x10. By itself goes from Black to Brown, and a solid pedal platform.

Voxshall

I’ve been gigging the Two Rock Bloomfield Drive combo the past year and it exceeded all my expectations on gigs.

jvin248

Peavey Bandit -- famously "Loud, inexpensive, and takes pedals great" amp.
Orange 35RT -- know a few who gig bars with these
Fender Champ -- has been used and many fans, haven't tried it myself.
Joyo American Sound Pedal -- run direct into gig PA system, video below treats a clean amp as the clean PA would just make the pedal louder.

Peavey Bandit sighting at festival gigs

Dr. Tranquilo

Another vote here for the Fender Super Champ X2 :aok

I should say, mainly because it sounds great, it's very very versatile, it takes pedals well, and you can literally carry it with a finger so it's not too difficult to lug around either.

HesNot

Silver Supporting Member
I think if the OP spec is 30-50 watts that by itself will make it challenging in a combo due to transformer size and weight. A lot of good suggestions although many are less watts than the OP wants ...

I think putting a neo speaker in any combo made fairly compact out of realwood (not mdf) would make the biggest weight difference and be less $$ than a new amp.

8nthatK

Silver Supporting Member
I've usd a Fender DR and Vox AC15 in the past to good effect.

Loved the Maz38 suggestion...not sure what the weight of it is. Love the amp for that stuff though.

If I was doing it today, I think I'd grab a Louis Electric Columbia with a dirt pedal. Love that little amp.

kimos55

Follow your dreams turst your heart
Gold Supporting Member
the best--for what, when,who?????--there is no best only different. take a listen to a bunch and decide for yourself

You are right on, that's why I am getting yet another combo. I have tried so many different amps. I like my deluxe but then I got a Rivera Venus ( heavy amp) I did an A B test with the Deluxe and the Rivera sounded different just had a better tone so thought maybe I can fine a even better combo but not so heavy. thus I pose the question to the GP. I have IMHO the best 3 pedal boards now that are small and has everything I need depending on the gigs.

gman1951

Gold Supporting Member
This may get scoffed at here, but, I recently bought a Synergy Syn-30 combo and it has a great clean channel coupled with one module bay for your choice of modules giving you a very good sounding three channel amp for a reasonable price. Probably the most versatile combo I've ever played; fairly small footprint as well.

kimos55

Follow your dreams turst your heart
Gold Supporting Member
Easy to live with Fender voiced 1X12 gig friendly club amps:
  1. +3 on a Carr Rambler 1X12 - total clean pedal platform - used it becomes a tremendous value. 28 or 14 watts Pentode/Triode modes, rev/trem built in, TMB tone control allows BF to Tweed voicing (tweedy especially in Triode mode, extra sag over Pentode mode), bullet-proof handwired built, a deeper than norm PR type cab for no boxiness ever - a lifetime traditional tube keeper.
  2. Mesa Mark V:35 1X12 combo - 2ch Mesa w/Clean/Fat/Crunch on ch1, ODX3 voices on Ch2. Separate reverb for each ch., and footswitchable 5-band EQ & clean boost for solo's for each ch, 10, 25. 35 watt power selection for each ch., built-in XLR CabClone-Sim direct out to FOH. Just an incredibly well thought out gigging amp with power availability for today's club gigs (still can get hella-loud). I regularly gig clean ch @ 35 watts but OD @ 10 watts; with individual master volumes for each ch. it balances perfectly. I did put a Celestion Neo Creamback in it to get a little lower weight for easier grab-n-go. Not many things it can't do on stage. I just need one light OD for "edge of breakup" (Bluesbreaker clone) on the board with the Mesa MV:35.
  3. The all tube value leader pedal platform: the VHT Special 12/20 -1X12 (stock 12 watts w/2X6V6, optional 20 watts w/2X6L6 w/easy internal bias switch)- US Designed, Asian built, intentionally designed as a loud clean pedal platform and it delivers - PR voice with just a bit more mids in an oversized cab for no boxy sound (deeper than a Fender cab), built-in power attenuator and other gig-friendly appointments, very well thought out design, handwired easy to maintain construction, full schematic included w/owners manual.
  4. Solid State loud clean BF pedal platform, Quilter 101 head (2.5lbs), available w/Rev., combined with the Quilter BlockDock 1X12HD cab (19.lbs) - total weight 22.5lbs 1X12 head/cab rig with 100 watts ss clean "Surf" setting (think Twin Reverb clean) and a 300watt Celestion Neo speaker. You can dial in some mids to that Surf setting to approach Tweed territory if you like. Either head tucks inside the back of the 1X12 cab for a small profile rig (cab comes w/Nylon cover so the entire rig is wrapped and ready to go). Quilter now has a 200 watt head same size and basic weight, I have not encountered a situation where the 101 was not loud enough, even outside. YMMV, so more power is out there if you feel the need.
I have one of each and they will all do the job, they all eat any and all OD pedals comfortably and reproduce the OD voice the box intends, it just depends on where you're playing, what the set list is, how involved the load-in/out will be, and how much you want to carry. I also use a Palmer PDI09 Direct box for all of those 1X12 amps to FOH - the mixer loves that - XLR out to PA for the same great 2X12 cab-sim sound from any amp, night after night (the Mesa has built-in CabClone for FOH direct-out). These are med-powered amps that I have used with a full PA easily - if you're gigging without a PA they may not have enough power to compete with a loud drummer, though the Mesa may be the exception here. I'm in a big 9-piece band that always has a PA, if the club does not have one we bring one in. Hope this helps, Good Hunting.

It;s looking like a Carr Rambler is the direction I am going to try

Trending Topics