What is the best filter cap for re-capping a vintage Hiwatt?

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by Dr. Tweedbucket, Jun 5, 2008.

1. Dr. Tweedbucket

Dr. Tweedbucket Deluxe model available !!!11

Gamma Ray detection station on Mt. Kwakkleberry
    As far as tone and reliability?

F&T ?

Ampmedic?

JJ?

LCR ?

Other?

I'd kind of like to keep the amp stock looking with the full size caps if possible.

I have two amps that have bulging caps, and it's time.

2. VikingAmps

VikingAmps Member

I'd go with F&T's or LCR's. I don't think they make Daly's anymore but that would be another choice.

3. Dr. Tweedbucket

LCRs are hard to find. I can get F&Ts.

4. SatelliteAmps

SatelliteAmps Member

I would go either F&T or JJ. I haven't known anyone to be able to tell a tonal difference between any of them, as long as they are the right value.

5. SatelliteAmps

SatelliteAmps Member

As far as size go, you are mistaken. JJ's are the correct size for some (most) models of Hiwatts, being as they are exactly the same size as the F&T's and the old LCR's. JJ's are being marketed and sold as replacements for LCR's, which would have been stock in most of the old Hiwatts. Also, there are no currently made LCR cap's, only JJ's with the LCR logo on a sticker placed over the JJ cap.

As far as the look goes, the only difference between the three is if you want one with the wrong color and wrong logo (JJ), wrong color and right logo (LCR), or close color and wrong logo (F&T). Anything else is just hype.

6. TheAmpNerd

TheAmpNerd Member

Yeah I know.

So keep it original until it blows up. Then besides non original electrolytics
    you can also have non original coupling and non original transformers too.

You can always buy paint or heat shrink and do it yourself for the eye ball
    crowd. Use a sharpie for the fake lettering.

Get new caps, and play, just don't let anyone take a flash light to the amp and you'll not have to suffer through the embarrassment of it all.

I mean...only her hair dresser know's for sure" really rings true on this one.

7. gldtp99

gldtp99 Member

I've used F&T, JJ, CDE, UCC, and Xicon filter cap cans in Hiwatts and Hiwatt clones i've built in 20, 35, 50, 100, and 120 watt versions---- they all work well as long as the voltage rating isn't exceeded.
    If you want the "best" available for your prized, vintage Hiwatt then get the F&T's---- they are the proper 1-3/8" (35mm) diameter (the JJ 220uF/385V can works well but is a smaller diameter and won't fit the orig clamps without a piece of rubber hose or electrical tape shimming the gap). The F&T's may not be as tall as the orig cans but don't worry about it.
    The Hiwatt re-cap package from VHR isn't a bad idea--- you also get a new bias cap in the package. Don't forget to install a new bias cap no matter where you source your parts.
    I recently re-capped a Marshall 20 watt PA head (model 1917)--- the guy wanted the "best" parts available and so i went with F&T cans without hesitation.
    On the other hand, last nite a guy demo'd one of my DR504 clones with UCC (200uF cans) and JJ (50/50uF and 32/32uF) cans and was blown away by the amp---- but then he'd never played a Hiwatt-type amp before---- he's been using one of my 2204 clones---- the Hiwatt tone was what he was looking for, but he didn't know it.....................gldtp99

8. SatelliteAmps

SatelliteAmps Member

Amen brother.

9. callaway_1

callaway_1 Member

The JJ 220 uf is not the right diameter. you can get away with it if you wrap it in electrical tape enough to make it secure in the clamps.

10. VikingAmps

VikingAmps Member

I didn't know Xicon had cans. Who has them?

11. gldtp99

gldtp99 Member

Mouser--- p/n 140-LS221M2W-2545
    this is a 220uF/450V snap mount can in 25mm dia---- fits 1" can clamps---- pretty useless for vintage amps that have the chassis punched for 1-3/8" cans but i've used them for lower budget new builds/conversions.
    Here's a Bogen CHB50/Plexi-type conversion (still under construction in this pic) with these cans--
    [​IMG]

12. Dr. Tweedbucket

Thanks all for the info.

I guess it will be F&Ts :)