What is the BEST G12H??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by MBreinin, Jun 18, 2008.

1. MBreinin

MBreinin Supporting Member

Vintage Celestion? Scumback? Weber? Heritage?

I love the sound of this speaker in one of my amps and I want the best sounding version. I am using a broken in Anniversary Celestion right now and I know it could be better.

First amp I have really loved this speaker in, it is a hot-rodded Brown Deluxe design.

Mike

2. Blueser

Blueser Member

Dont overlook a Tone Tubby Ceramic. IMO, they are the perfect G12H, in that they have the tight bottom end, with a pleasing midrange, and a perfectly sweet top end, which is not as bright and harsh as a G12H can be (especially before they are broken in).

I am a complete Tone Tubby convert. Their cabinets are absolutely top notch as well. I can thank my buddy LV for hipping me to the TT stuff!

Thanks Lou!

B:AOK

3. Zuper

Zuper Supporting Member

I really like the Heritage and Scumback versions. The Heritage has a bit more crunch to it. The Anniversary is very smooth in comparison (once broken in), so you may want to take that into account when making a change.

As Blueser said, the Tone Tubbies are also a great speaker, and similar to a G12H30 in many ways, but I didn't care for the rolled-off high end with most amps. A nice choice for a bright amp, though.

4. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Silver Supporting Member

Scumback!!

5. jamison162

jamison162 Supporting Member

Scumback H75!

Tried the 70th Ann., Heritage and Tone Tubby. Did not try the Emi. Wizard.

Tone Tubby was bright (60 oz. magnet) and cardboardy (hemp cone), yuck!

6. JimmyR

JimmyR Member

Haven't tried the Scumback yet but would really like to. I have both anniverary and Heritage Celestions and for my amps the Anniversarys actually sound better. I'm sure I'll find the right amp for the Heritages though! They sound beautiful but in the amps I'm running I prefer the crispness of the Annis. I suspect the Heritages will sound perfect with my Marshall 1987 clone.

7. solitaire

solitaire Senior Member

You mean the lead cone version, right?

8. Blueser

Blueser Member

Clearly this stuff is subjective, but I have both the Celestion G12H30 2x12 cab (well broken in) and a 2x12 TT cab (ceramic), and the Cele G12H's were still brighter than the TT. The TT's take about 25 hours to break in, and I assure they are anything but carboardy to my ears.

I have been playing both a UG30 and a Komet 60 through them, and I think they sound incredible.

9. Grant Ferstat

Grant Ferstat Some guy in obscure bands in a far away place... Silver Supporting Member

I've got a Scumback you can try.

It was going to go in the 65 London but I'm selling it.

10. jumpnblues

jumpnblues Member

I love the Scumback H75 in my Louis Tremblelux. Very smooth, yet great chime and harmonics. A good bit of that's the amp though. Beautiful combination.

Tom

11. MBreinin

I would like a G12H that was just a tiny bit smoother on the top end than the Anniversary. It has great crunch, but it is still a bit shrill up top. Keep in mind that it is in an open back cab, which is going to remove some of the bass response.

Is the Scumback smoother than the Celestion?

Mike

12. jamison162

Yes, in a good way. There are also slight tonal diffrences in the 30 and 65 watt Scumback H75's.

The 65 watter has more lowend and is warmer and slightly smoother.

Then there's the H75 with large dust cone. But based on my experience with the regular one, I wouldn't recommend the H75-LDC. I'd be afraid it would be too dark or muffled in the highs.

13. MBreinin

Well, I picked up a 30 watter from the Emporium. Sounds like maybe I would have wanted a 65 watter. Eh, either way I will try the 30 first. I really dig the regular old Celestion, so hopefully the Scumback will be even better. I can see that it will probably be a fun speaker adventure with this amp, and I look forward to it! :D

Mike

14. jamison162

The 30 is already way better than the Celestions, you'll dig it!

15. Roe

Roe Member

+1

;)

16. MBreinin

I am sure I will!

Mike

17. Jay Strange

Jay Strange Member

Austin Speakerworks. I reaaly like them.

18. Audio_Builder

Audio_Builder Member

I second the Austin Speaker Works. Best new speaker I have heard in a long time.

19. meterman

meterman Member

I'm using one Anniversary and one Heritage in my closed back cab and an Anniversary in my combo. I like the Anniversary and the Heritage equally well, fairly different but both sound excellent to me when well broken in. I would definitely like to try some Scumbacks one of these days!

20. hamfist

hamfist Member

Scumback H75 - fantastic speaker. generally less harsh than the Celestion Anni G12H, with a slightly fuller midrange, and sweeter (less abrasive) treble. Plenty of bass, in a large enough cab.

As near a perfect speaker as you're gonna get for 60's, 70's & early 80's rock. In fact, as near perfect as you're gonna get for an "all round speaker" which needs to cope with cleans, low, mid and higher gain tones (IMHO, of course !!).

Can you tell I love this speaker ?!!