what is the best lap steel?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by dbeeman, Feb 21, 2006.

1. dbeeman

dbeeman Gold Supporting Member

I keep hearing David Lindley in my head. Going to get a lap steel and learn.

What is the best one for tone and playability? I'd prefer not to have an high priced relic museum piece.

2. erksin

erksin Member

Well, they all pretty much play the same - obviously the different knob layouts make them different ergonomically but all in all pretty similar.

Vintage laps can be had CHEAP (most well under $500) - you just need to find out what pickup sounds best to you. I had a '56 Gibson BR-9 with a gigantic P-90 in it, sounded awesome and I only paid $125 for mine with original case! Oahus, Nationals, Supros, Magnatones, Fenders, Rickenbachers - all will sound different.

3. Bryan T

Bryan T Guitar Owner Silver Supporting Member

I really like the Asher lap steels. They have a long scale length that makes playing in tune easier. They have several different models, but I think they start around $1K for a very basic model. There are plenty of lap steels in the $150-$500 range (including some vintage models), but I've been most impressed with the tone and quality Ashers.

Bryan

4. michael30

michael30 Gold Supporting Member

Supros are pretty cool and can be found for a couple of hundred on ebay. They have the Lindley vibe.

Michael

5. billygoat

billygoat Member

Picked up a vintage national at a pawnshop and it sounds superb with that big pickup. I play in a modified C6 tuning... EGCACE

6. GuitarG

GuitarG Member

My #1 lap is an Oahu. Big, big tone. The bakelite Rics are incredible sounding but like Travis said, they're getting up there in price. I kick myself for never picking one up when they were cheaper. Check the Supros and Airlines for a good affordable lap.
    Lindley is one of my favorite guitarists. My Oahu with the over-under 'Ry Cooder' pickup gets me pretty close to Lindley's Jackson Browne era tones.

7. snarkle

snarkle Member

I've never met a lap steel I didn't like, but you can't go too far wrong with a bakelite Rickenbacher. That's Rickenbacher with an "h", although the bakelite 'backers aren't too bad either.

For gigging, however, I usually end up using a Tonemaster¬ónot the familiar Oahu Tonemaster but the "English Electronics" model, which doesn't refer to imported parts but to a now-defunct music store somewhere in Michigan, I believe. (Kudos to Andy Marshall at THD for turning me on to this instrument!)

It's another pearloid Valco product with the strings-through pickup, but it's long scale, which makes for a bigger tone and easier bar slants. It does a pretty good job of nailing the Lindley sound, insofar as anybody can sound like Mr. Dave...and mine was $200 on eBay, not too long ago.

8. dbeeman

dbeeman Gold Supporting Member

Thanks a lot guys

9. WaysideRickNJ

WaysideRickNJ Member

My #1 is an Asher Ben Harper Model - like a squareneck 59 Les Paul... it's perfect!

10. GuitarsFromMars

GuitarsFromMars Member

Lindley has a bunch of those things.The one on "Runnin on Empty" is a Bakelite Rickenbacker.He has a bunch of old Supro/Valco/Nationals in a large variety of shapes and sizes...

11. mad dog

mad dog Silver Supporting Member

Just like guitars, no one perfect one. But I do have my favorites:

Fender stringmaster
    Fender deluxe, pro, dual - whatever you call the pre-stringmaster, trap p/u model
    Ricky bakelite
    Oahu, valco, supro, mckinney - anything with that string through p/u
    Gibson EH-185 w/CC pickup. This one I'm lucky enought to own. Deep mojo.