What is the best les paul for the money?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by staplek, Feb 22, 2006.

1. staplek

staplek Member

What is the best les paul for the money in the $1500-$3500 range?

2. Mr.Hanky

Mr.Hanky Member

Probably the used R7 in the emporium right now.

3. BigDoug1053

BigDoug1053 Supporting Member

Check out used Les Paul Supremes. Top of the line production model. Very classy. Stunning looks. Meat on the bones.

Show us what you eventually get hold of! :AOK

4. Yossi

Yossi Member

In that range you can get a New USA built LP or a used Historic. I already have a USA Classic LP but recently purchased a wonderful R9 Historic in off the shelf condition for just over 3K, it's the nicest guitar that I have ever owned. I think that for the money you will get a much better value for a LP if you purchase it used. Here's a link to my Historic.

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=130699&highlight=yossi

Good luck,

Yossi

5. Rock Johnson

Rock Johnson Member

I just bought a new Slash Signature LP (not the old one with the snakepit inlays). It ran me $3100. Mine is absolutely amazing -- it's basically a R9 with a plain top, Duncan Alnico Pro IIs and a Fishman Powerbridge. It was, believe it or not, set up pretty well from the factory, and with the SD pickups, it just sings.

Anyway, there's a couple floating around on Ebay for about the same money. It's an excellent LP - long neck tenon, silky rosewood board (doubt if it's brazilian RW, but I really don't care), modified '59 neck profile, and tone and sustain for days.

6. daddyo

daddyo Guest

The best value in a Les Paul is the 57 Historic Goldtop. Used they should be around $2K. Even new they are around $2600. Next might be a 58 Historic. I'm a sucker for a tobacco burst or tea burst on a plain maple top. Flamed tops are all about the beauty of the wood. I'd listen first.

7. Marty s Horne

Marty s Horne Member

My favorite is my 8 year old Elegant. It's incredibly resonant, fat and sweet sounding with sustain like a grand piano. The neck is fat but not as big as the R8 and 9s and the ebony board plays better than anything I've owned except my McNaught. The quilt top and black pearl abalone inlays add to its looks and I can play 4 sets a night with no shoulder fatigue.

8. doublea

doublea Member

9. jpage

jpage Silver Supporting Member

Well, the R7 and the R8 are the same guitar I believe, so take that into consideration just in case you aren't a goldtop fan. I picked up my R8 for $2100 new and I was able to play it first.

It's "all the rage" here on TGP right now to spend $$$ replacing the pickups and electronics on the Historics but to be completely honest, it isn't necessary IMO. It is a fine instrument on it's own with the stock BB 1 & 2, which are some of the finest pickups I've heard. Great guitars and a great value.

10. amper

amper Member

That's a really *wide* price range.

Anyway, "best for the money" means closer to the low end of that range, so if you're looking for a new Gibson, I'll say any of the "Studio" models. For me, my favorites are the GC brown all-mahogany one (if you can find a nice one), the Smartwood Swamp Ash, and the other Smartwood models. All of those should be available in the $1500 price range (or less).

For a used Gibbo, well, you can find a whole lot more.

11. staplek

staplek Member

thank you everyone. your opinion/experiences are very helpful

12. Wally1

Wally1 Member

Since you have such a broad price range...there are lots of LP's that would be a good value in that price range....I guess you need to narrow it down to what model works best and sounds bect for you and your playing style. For my money.....the newer Historics are where it's at. You can pick up new R7's and R8's for around 2100.00 from reputable online dealers and they are great guitars. I just got a Brand new R8 for 2000.00 and that's the best money I've ever spent on a Gibson. You can pick up nice used R7's and R8's and some of the Customs for smokin' deals if you go the used route. Keep checking the for sale ads here and on ebay.....I see cool LP's sell for reasonable prices all the time.

13. * velcro-fly *

* velcro-fly * Supporting Member

Here's the best bang for the buck "Les Paul" out there:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The fit and finish are amazing - as nice or nicer than any G word Standard on the shop walls. The VF color is killer. This guitar has tone to burn and plays as nice as anything else I own. I compared it to my Anderson Cobra, a pair of bucker loaded GMW super Strats, and a good ol' Fender American Standard Strat.

It cost about half of your lowest range you listed...Made in Japan ;)

Steve E

14. jpage

jpage Silver Supporting Member

Veneer top on that copy guitar? Poly finish?

Pretty to look at, but for a guy with $2k to spend, I'm thinking he might want a real one. I would.

15. * velcro-fly *

* velcro-fly * Supporting Member

Veneer - yes.

Poly - yes.

This guitar smokes any Standard available in my local area. The only Historic I played lately that made me drool was $3250, the others available were just o.k. - and well above $2000.

I do agree with your point though.

Steve E

16. Larry

Larry Member

Give Centre City a call and you might be surprised at how much you can save over some of the prices quoted in this thread. I am just a happy customer and have no other affiliation.

http://www.ccitymusic.com/

17. Thwap

Thwap Member

+1

As has been mentioned the R7's are an exceptional value.

And this year the with the VOS models available, there's a pretty

good buzz about the product line in general over on the LPF.

Resale value holds well on the historic models too.

18. jdblax

jdblax Guest

How about the reissue customs, like the 1954 and l9 57 black beauties? Are they as good as the goldtop historics? No one ever seems to bring them up. :confused:

19. Thwap

Thwap Member

Yes they're every bit as good. The R4 has the wrap tailpiece so it's a little different. Some people are a little concerned about intonation without a tune-o-matic. Not an issue really, but it's got a different vibe. Some want to have a TOM equipped Lester before they take the R4 plunge. And the R4's generally have a pretty big neck.

The 57 BB is fine as far as I know. I'd agree you don't hear alot on them. Les Paul guys are kinda funny that way. I don't think black gets as much love as the sunburst/goldtop. And the Custom fanbase is not nearly as widespread as the Standard guys. That may have something to do with it...who knows? That being said...I love them.