What is the best Leslie pedal out there?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by straightblues, Apr 23, 2007.

1. gearlovin

gearlovin Silver Supporting Member

+1 :dude

joe bonamassa use that one too :RoCkIn

2. Phil M

Phil M Supporting Member

I love this effect, but getting the right one in a pedal format can be elusive.

The 3 mentioned in the original post (Rotosphere, DLS, Whirligig) are the three that I've had. I loved the Rotosphere's tone but got sick of the size and wall-wart. There might've been some high end suck too, so I traded if for the DLS. The DLS had the features I wanted (size, true bypass, ramp footswitch, built in drive, standard 9v tap) but I thought the tone was lacking big time. Compared the Rotosphere, I really didn't care for it. The Slow speed on both the Rotosphere and DLS were pretty killer, but the DLS's fast speed didn't compare in my book.

Recently I found a bargain on an older Whirligig. It don't think it sounds just like the Rotosphere which is probably right because I think one's based on a leslie and one on a vibratone. At any rate, it's got a real nice feel, I just wish I could turn the intensity of the effect down. It also does a nice Univibe impression at it's slowest setting. I like that is accepts a standard 9v tap, is true bypass and is smaller.

3. enharmonic

enharmonic Old Growth Gold Supporting Member

I feel you gents on the RT20. I have some of the same concerns...but the H&K I had was noisy compared to the RT20, and nowhere near as flexible. I wouldn't object to using either unit, but for versatility and "good enough to leave the leslie home", I think that the buyer should at least give the RT20 a spin :)

A spin...lol...I love leslie humor :D

4. guitarb

guitarb Member

Korg G4...hands down best...IMHO!

5. bilbal

bilbal Member

I just this minute ordered an Option 5 Destination Rotation Single. I called and spoke to Jay at Option 5 and he was extremely helpful. He told me to call Musictoyz.com to order. I called, got it on order, and hopefully will be using it for this weekend. If you get a chance to check one of these things out - do it. I was up in the air on which one to buy (rotosphere, rotosim, or the Option 5) and the Option 5 seemd to be the better of the three IMO.

bilbal

6. PedalFreak

PedalFreak Supporting Member

Korg G4 is the best.

I own a Line6 Rotomachine. Set right and it is very close, you can dial in the right amount of overdrive, ramp up and down and switch between two speeds. For the price it is a very nice pedal. I didnt like the Boss RT-20, like to have one on my board for the cool spinning light though :D

7. iualum

iualum Member

...well, as posted earlier, I like the DLS...

...but I'll absolutely agree with the part about the RotoMachine...plus, it's a spectacular bargain compared to the others...

8. straightblues

straightblues Member

Thanks for the input guys. I don't like the RotoMachine or RT20. I am thinking Whirligig at this point but the H&K and the Korg G4 are still in the running.

9. ancient

ancient Member

Digitech XP-200... Very cool!

10. KustietheKlown

KustietheKlown Member

I get a positively nasty leslie sim from my lexicon vortex. the only problem is a slight volume issue that i think i can fix by lowering the output volumes of all my other vortex patches and then turning the unit's input volume up slightly. maybe i need an EQ too to help shape it.

Anyway, it's in stereo, i can use an expression pedal to control speed manually or press the vortex footpedal's A/B button to morph from slow to fast with a little lag time. it literally swirls around the room with the vortex's panning ability--all tweakable.

It's really more like a leslie on acid. good times.

11. localmotion411

localmotion411 Member

Okay - got the Option 5 Destination Rotation Single yesterday afternoon. It's perfect. Never tried the original Destination Rotation, but with the Single, I am pretty sure I never needed to.

Features:
    - Fast and slow speeds, each with its own trim pot for fine tuning of speed (great feature)
    - Speed selector footswitch (when clicked, the speed ramps up or down completely naturally)
    - Overdrive, with adjustable drive and volume levels, which sounds great, can be dialed in for thick, creamy overdrive -- LOVE IT!
    - Overdrive on/off switch
    - Mic placement knob, which essentially increases or decreases the presence of the effect

I've tried the fast chorus thing (Analogman Stereo Clone Clone Chorus) with tremolo, Rotosphere, Boss RT20, Line 6 Rotary Machine, etc. Nothing comes close to the Option 5. I was looking for authentic-as-possible Leslie sounds, true bypass, silent switching, as many features as possible, and a generally noise-free pedal. I couldn't be more satisfied.

My amp is a Voxy circuit, but with my new Line 6 Verbzilla, Fatboost, and BBE Sonic Stomp (HIGHLY recommended), I am able to cop some ridiculously good Fendery cleans. With the Option 5 Destination Rotation Single, I'm in Cold Shot heaven.

12. CarbonArc

CarbonArc Member

Moving higher up the west coast - now 4 hrs inland
    LocalMotion411 - does the new Destination Rotation Single have a stereo output option? I'm wondering how good a Leslie sim can get without stereo. If I had one I'd probably be using it mono most of the time, but I'm still curious.

13. MkIV

MkIV Member

I had the Destination Rotation and I must say that I was really pleased with it! The only thing I wasn't completely satisfied with was the fact that you couldn't adjust the ramp up/down time - it was to fast and I wanted to slow it down so that it would react more like my old Fender Vibratone cabinet. I talked a lot with Jay about this and I hope that the new version is more accurate in the ramp up/down.

14. cbpickin

cbpickin Tweed Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

I had the Destination Rotation and sold it because I actually prefer the sounds I get out of my Maxon PH350 Rotary Phaser. With the speed and depth set high I get more convincing Leslie sounds, and it has the bonus of being my favorite phaser too.

15. SteveStrat

SteveStrat Member

+1 on Korg G4. Hard part is finding one now.

Steve

16. Ud Reks

Ud Reks Member

What would you all say the difference is between a Vibe and a Roto pedal?

17. AlligatorMtn

AlligatorMtn Member

With the destination rotation, can you hook up a TIP 3rd Arm and adjust the ramp speed.

I want a pedal like this, but I have to be able to adjust the speed from fast>slow and slow>fast blah blah

18. Doug H

Doug H Senior Member

I agree that the RotoMachine is a great pedal and here's a tip for getting a good "Cold Shot" sound out of it- split your signal out ahead of the RM for a "dry" signal. Send it to a separate amp and run the RM on "L16" mode, fast speed, in stereo preferably. The mixture of the muddy L16 warble along with the highs from your dry signal gives it that funky, chewy Vibratone sound.

Here's a schematic of the L16 switching system:

http://www.mosweb.com/knowledgebase/leslie/id10.htm

Note that when the crossover is used and the rotary spkr is on, the amp output signal gets fed through the crossover network into the amp speaker(s). So the amp speakers stay on (with a deep 3khz-4khz notch) when the rotary speaker in the L16 is used. The L16 essentially handles the midrange, and it is the mixture of that with the stationary amp speakers handling the highs and lows that give it the characteristic sound.

The RotoMachine, when using the L16 setting, mimics the L16 cabinet alone and therefore sounds pretty muddy by itself, which is the common complaint people have. But if you mix that with your dry tone, preferably scooped, it gets the "Cold Shot" sound happening. Give it a try- it sounds cool and is a lot of fun.

Doug

19. buddyboy

buddyboy Gold Supporting Member

Excellent point - I have the Roto Machine ($119 out the door!). I run a stereo pedal of some sort ahead of it in the chain. I run the dry signal (non-Leslied sound) out of that into a '66 Deluxe Reverb with a Reissue C12K, set bright. The Leslied sound goes in to a '64 Super Reverb with C-10R's.

I set the Roto Machine to "L16" and usually run it on the slow setting. Gain is set all the way up. With this arrangement it can absoultely nail the early-seventies, slow Leslie tone. You need a clean, bright amp to complement the effected sound to create the most accurate tone. It does a dead-on Jesse Ed Davis with Taj Mahal-type thing. The gain is really cool on it and creates that thick, chewy Leslie sound!

The other settings are cool too, but the L16 is the best.

20. Doug H

Doug H Senior Member

:AOK

I like all 3 settings equally for different things- the L45 is just a good all around leslie sound for guitar. I use the 122 with my HOG for B3 sounds. I also like the L16 by itself (without the dry mix) pre-loaded with a lot of distortion for vibey-textures. It's a very flexible pedal- esp for the price.

Doug