What is the best Leslie pedal out there?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by straightblues, Apr 23, 2007.

1. popinvasion

popinvasion Member

I dont get the cold shot love fest, the cold shot sound imo is a poor version of the leslie sound. Sure SRV's playing is superb, but its a weak leslie sound. Its not even like he used a good sounding version of the leslie he used the fender vibratone. I think the real challenge is to match some beatle leslie tones, cop those tones in a pedal and feel like you really found the holy grail.

2. George Adelson

George Adelson Member

I agree with Sunsetamps, I don't get the Vibratone fascination. The Leslie sound I dig is when Danny Gatton was using his (Leslie 147, I believe. could have been a 122. I can't recall) on Reneck Jazz Explosion. Especially on "Song Of India", "Rock Candy" and "When Sunny Gets Blue". I dig the Chorale sound too, but I don't use it that much in the bands I play in. Currently using a Rotosphere MKII. It's noisy, huge wall wart and takes up too much real estate. Yet, it sounds pretty good and I put it in an Axess Switcher and that helps.I used to use the Dynacords (analog CLS-222 and digital dls 300) , but quit using rack gear and only use them at home now.

Have been contemplating getting a Korg G4 . Maybe the DLS.

I know it's a Vibratone simulator, but I would like to hear some clips of the new Destination Single on the fast setting for the hell of it.

3. Doug H

Doug H Senior Member

I agree that the L16 sound is not the "end all be all" rotary sound for me. I was just explaining how to produce it with a pedal where people complain that it doesn't sound right. YMMV...

4. buddyboy

buddyboy Gold Supporting Member

Looking at some photos from the 1968-1971 period, many rock guitar players were using a vibratone or a Leslie 16. IMHO, that is the classic Leslie sound for a rock/blues style of guitar, particularly the slow (non-Cold Shot) setting.

5. JeffreyC

JeffreyC Member

Gotta bump this... So what does this slower classic Leslie sound best in a pedal? I know it's an opinion and I really love my Mojovibe for univibe stuff, but lately been itching for a really good rotating speaker sound.

6. My top picks are:

HK Rotosphere
    Boss RT20
    Digitech Exp-7

I choose those because ALL three of those do a great slow(chorale) leslie sound, which in my opinion, is the hardest sound to nail.

Luke

7. m.z.

m.z. "Musician" /Gear Hoarder

BUMP THEE OLD THREAD

Sonnyblu likes this.
  8. Pass_Auf

Pass_Auf Member

Strymon Lex. No doubt about it...

9. Volontaire

Volontaire Member

I'm surprised that nobody suggested it earlier ! I love my Lex too. I haven't tried any other Leslie pedal, though. But Lex is great !!

10. lavinci

lavinci Supporting Member

Dry Bell Vibe pedal has a ramping feature

Sent from my Rick Kelly Tele

11. zztomato

zztomato Supporting Member

Wow, blast from the past.

Neo Vent is THE best.

12. JMarkoz

JMarkoz Member

I was wondering the same thing , then I noticed that this thread probably started pre-Lex.

I loved my H&K Roto mkii, but I replaced it with a Lex. Love it too. Sounds just as good , much smaller, easier to power.

13. DamianL

DamianL Member

Love my lex, love the mini neo vent too...but as a knob tweaker, ahem, I looks the extra features of the Lex...the drive is really very good for sweetening things and the horn level is great for dialing in for different rooms...

D

14. kevinhifi

kevinhifi Member

Nice thread resurrection. 7 years between one post to the next! That might be a record. It's a very relevant conversation now due to a significant Leslie emulation surge in the boutique and mainstream markets in the last couple of years.

It's tough to say there's a single "best" though. The Leslie sound wasn't just a pair of rotating horns. It was the cabinet and amp too. Since we're all trying to emulate it using a pedal through our own rigs, it will be different pedals that best achieve what our ears determine to be the best replication through our own specific set of preamps, power amps, cabinets, and speakers.

Sonnyblu likes this.
  15. hotmod

hotmod Member

Neo instruments ventilator is great!

16. tozum

tozum Member

On my main board I am using Strymon Lex right now. It is a great pedal with useful functions. On my little board I have the Analogman Chorus, set at high speed-low depth for leslie sounds and it works fine with SRV (Cold Shot) or Warren Haynes tunes.

17. markjsmith

markjsmith Member

For $500 you could probably search for a used Motion Sound cab. Also I think Cold Shot was a Fender Vibrotone cab and not a Leslie.

18. Fab4ever

Fab4ever Member

Been searching for a good slow, swirly Leslie tone for years (check my user name)... Found my solution this past week: A Leslie 125 modded to accept a guitar signal, which I purchased for $260; and for those occasions in which I don't feel like hauling a 100-pound cab up out of my basement studio, a Line 6 Roto Machine for $55.

I know neither is the ULTIMATE, but the combination is really hitting the spot for me!

19. m.z.

m.z. "Musician" /Gear Hoarder

Kevinhifi made an excellent point with what he said about our different amps/cabs... I only have experience with the line6 emulations through my setup... currently playing through a TopHat SD Mkii into an old Marshall 1965b cab with the original cele's... I also use a Fender DRRI with the stock Jensen... Sometimes run them together... The line6 rotary sounds are okay through both... Though I think I prefer the slight breakup of the TopHat...

with the line6 I am not noticing huge differences in sound/response between the two amps... I'm curious about what others have found... Love your Lex/Vent/ with your Brit voiced amp, but not so much with your blackface Fender circuits?

I'm looking for something that doesn't rear its ugly digital head when subjected to fuzz/boost/wah abuse...

Thoughts on Hammond's Leslie pedal?

20. AdamSH89

AdamSH89 Member

GSI Burn would be an awesome choice. Neo instruments mini vent is also solid.