What is the best Marshally od for blackface Deluxe

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Kinkirsi, Dec 26, 2005.

1. Kinkirsi

Kinkirsi Member

:JAM :cool: :cool: I have a 65 Deluxe that already has a great crunch sound. It's fat and harmonically rich rhythm sound is awesome. I boost it with a ts9 which is cool for single note bluesy stuff, but it doesn't have the sustain to do legato without a compression pedal . Which is cool and all, but combine stage volume with the ts9, and compression along with a hollowbody guitar, the rig is a bit noisy and, it's hard to control the feedback. I am trying to get out of tubescreamer sounds and into something better for fat legato lead sounds. Maybe something Marshall sounding ? Any suggestions ?

2. tfunster

tfunster Gold Supporting Member

There's a whole bunch of boutique pedals that do the Marshall thing

Menatone King of the Britains
    V-Stack Classic
    Carl Martin Plexitone
    General Guitar Gadgets BSIAB II
    And probably a bunch of the Marshall pedals.. bluesbreaker, governer

The only one I've played out of the bunch is the Menatone, and I thought that it was a great sounding very amplike pedal. Good gain range and tweakability for that classic Marshall sound.

3. fast ricky love

fast ricky love Supporting Member

I went thru the same exercise looking for the best 'Marshally' pedal for my '65 DR. Here were my favs in order of preference:

1. Timmy
    2. Original Marshall Blues Breaker
    3. Original SansAmp

Those beat out MANY pedals, boutique included.

4. Kinkirsi

Kinkirsi Member

Thanks for the suggestions, I am trying to find an od that sustains enough when my deluxe is pushed to a nice grind to make my keely compressor obsolete, does such a pedal exist? I was thinking maybe the Legendary tones pedal maybe? Cheers.

5. wgs1230

wgs1230 Fully Intonatable Silver Supporting Member

The Menatone I tried was very good, the Maxon SD9 at low gain is very good, the Keeley Rat is very good.

Alternate suggestion: do you need the signature Fender cleans? If not, consider a speaker swap. Weber Blue Dog = instant British tone from a bf/sf Deluxe.

6. Kinkirsi

Kinkirsi Member

I run the deluxe thru a bruno semi openback 4-12 w celestion blues, Kevin Eubanks kind of tone I am looking for, something with more sustain than my analogman ts9. Thanks!:)

7. OOG

OOG Member

yep on a more accessable note
    a Direct Drive might work

8. Franklin

Franklin Member

I'll second the Maxon SD9, I use it set at about 3pm for high gain but even with the gain turned down it's "Marshall"-ish

I'll let you in on a cool secret;

I play out with a 65 DRRI and I have several ODs, but my Analong Man Beano Boost totally changes the texture of the amp. I use that alone for a mild OD or in conjunction with one of my OD pedals.

9. eric-d

eric-d Member

expandora.... Very nice tone... am open sounding OD.... Maybe not marshall, but a nice breakup non-the-less..

10. retro

retro Member

11. Don Rusk

Don Rusk Gold Supporting Member

Mosferatu I think would be a good choice...

12. empty71

empty71 Member

My vote goes to the Barber Direct Drive.

13. EXP

EXP Supporting Member

+ 1 :AOK sounds very thick and marshally through a BF Super Reverb.

14. jec

jec Member

I used to have a Direct Drive and a 65 RI. Very good Marshall-esque tones. Watch out if you have a vintage-style speaker, such as a Weber C12. Lots of pedals can fizz out with that setup.

I would also put a vote in for the TIM. Sounded great with the 65RI and now with my new Maz.

15. Craise

Craise Member

I think the BJF Dyn Red is my favorite, through my 64 Fender Princeton Reverb. Very amp like. I have the orginal jensen in mine. So it's a smooth marshall sound. I love it. Once I played the dyna through the PR into a greenback cab, that really nail it. :)

16. mojowrkn

mojowrkn Member

I have the same amp (65 Deluxe - no reverb). I think the original Marshall Guv'nor might work pretty well for what you want. I have one and although it is not my favorite pedal, having the MID control and 3 band EQ would help to get what you want. Is a good combo with the Deluxe.

my 2 cents

17. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

+1 on the V-Stack Classic.

18. mad dog

mad dog Silver Supporting Member

I've got a '67 BFDR, so perhaps my experience won't match up with yours. Very few pedals work well (for me) with this amp. The built-in 6v6 drive beats any tubescreamer-type tones I've tried. The less gainy, clean boost type pedal works much better. The Klon works well, but my favorite so far is the Clark Gainster. It's subtle, and that's the trick. Not artificial sounding at all. Just makes the sound bigger. If you dial in some gain (gain knob to 1 oclock), roll off some tone (tone to 11 oclock), and play at medium to high amp volumes, you get this beautiful, natural drive and sustain. It's the kind of thick sound you can feel in your chest.

Other than pedals, the best sound enhancer for me was swapping out the stock oxford for a Weber 12F150. Noticeably more sustain and drive at higher volumes.