What is the best neo speaker for a bright Fender combo?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Shinequwa, Sep 24, 2008.

1. Shinequwa

Shinequwa Member

Any suggestions? Thanks!

2. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

My Tone King Continental can get pretty bright and I'm just totally loving the Jensen Neo in it now. That speaker is especially fine for a 6V6 amp as it hangs together bass-wise like a dream. In fact, when I visited amp guru Pete Cage yesterday for some work on my amps, he showed me his Fender-type amp with a Jensen Neo also.

3. DrJamie

DrJamie Silver Supporting Member

I played my first gig with my SFDR (blackfaced, not much to do there). I have the Celestion Century, and even without taking out the bright cap, I had great sound, with a strat (Callaham). The treble was only on 5, and bass 5 also. It was a small venue, and I didn't need much volume. Barely even used my Fulldrive. Nice clean tone with a little hair, and the speaker sounded very balanced. I had a Texas Heat, but purchased the Cel. for another amp, and sold it. Tried the SFDR/Cel for fun. Now it's a true grab and go rig. It's lighter than my Chieftain head, alone, I think.

4. GenoBluzGtr

GenoBluzGtr Supporting Member

I get outstanding results with the Jensen Neo in my DRRI. I was all set to clip the bright cap to tame the Vibrato channels brightness, but I tried the Neo first and I love it now. By keeping the bright cap, the amp cuts through like a 50 watter! The low end is tight, and full, the top end is silky and smooth and the mids are just right. Excellent speaker for Blackface fenders.

5. Shinequwa

Shinequwa Member

Thanks for reviving this thread! I'm having a hard time deciding between these two speakers. It appears that there would be more clean headroom with the Century than the Jensen Neo. Since I pretty much use pedals for dirt, maybe that's the speaker I should get.....

6. BeauZooka

BeauZooka Member

I don't know about that. The Jensen Neo is pretty late on the break-up.

7. Jon Silberman

I don't know where you're getting that from, either. The Jensen gives you right back what you put in and holds together, even with heavy bass, like nothing else I've played. But if you prefer Celestion generally, I'm sure their speaker is fine, too.

8. Shinequwa

Shinequwa Member

I have no allegiance to any speaker manufacturer, and just want the best speaker for my needs. I looked at the sensitivity ratings where the Century is at 102 dB and the Jensen Neo is at 98.8 dB. I thought the higher the number, the more clean headroom. Is this not true??

9. BeauZooka

BeauZooka Member

Not true. Sensitivity is just how loud a speaker is. When it breaks up is a whole nuther thing.
    The Celestion Blue is a good example of a speaker that is very loud but breaks up very early.

10. Jon Silberman

Oh, I understand now. Let's put it this way. Celestion overstates their speakers' efficiencies, Jensen understates them. I know we haven't mentioned Eminence yet but the speaker I replaced in my Tone King with the Jensen Neo was an Eminence GB12 rated at 101.4 db and the Jensen is both louder and cleaner.

You cannot compare speakers across manufacturers as to their rated sensitivity. Speakers by the same maker, yes, different ones, no.

11. teanett

teanett Member

it's like shoes.
    with nike's, size 9 fit me.
    adidas it's 8,5.

12. Jon Silberman

13. Gris

Gris Member

The only neo I can stand is the Jensen Neo, but even it sounds very vanilla to me. The others seem overly sensitive and screechy, though in fairness there is one I have not tried - the newer Celestion 'vintage' neo - which is supposed to fix this a bit. The only time I ever liked a Neo was in a small 1x10 15 watt tweed-ish screamer I made. The Jensen Neo kinda tamed that amp a bit, though it made it even louder.

I personally wouldn't put any Neo in a Fender black or silverface circuit. I'd put one of Ted Weber's C12N clones in it or if you want really loud and totally uncolored I'd go with Ted's 'California' speaker with a paper dome, either of these will tame the high end enough.

Just my $0.02 after trying hundreds of speakers in dozens of amps.

14. Shinequwa

Shinequwa Member

Thanks for all the info. I really appreciate it!

15. Shinequwa

Shinequwa Member

I have not checked out his speakers. I just might get one of these. Thanks!

16. picnic

picnic Supporting Member

I got a 68SFDR three months ago. Came with a Tonkerlite. Sounds great. I have tried and RWB, Texas Heat, Tonker, Mesa LSS stock speaker and the Tonkerlite still is the best sounding of the batch. Lightweight too.

17. RichieRich

RichieRich Senior Member

you can't lose with that amp :RoCkIn