1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

What is the BEST Noise Reduction Pedal on the market??

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Rocksully, Feb 17, 2009.

1. Rocksully

Rocksully Member

I am in need of a new Noise Reduction pedal for my board.
    My original board has an older MXR Smart Gate.
    I am very happy with this, but they dont make them like they used to.
    I am in the process of building a new board, with different effects and I need some serious noise reduction.
    My guitar is grounded, with shielding, my pedals are True Bypass.

Any advice on what NR Pedal to look into?

Thanks everyone!

2. richpjr

richpjr Member

3. Mike McLenison

Mike McLenison Member

I recently purchased the ISP Decimator and tried it for the first time last night and I tell you, there is no tone suckage and it worked like a charm. I had the MXR Smart Gate and this is better by far.

4. peridot1

peridot1 Member

I think the ISP G-String is suppose to be the best. I have a smartgate and decimator. Like them both.

5. storm319

storm319 Member

None. Amps naturally have some noise that you just need to deal with. If the noise is so bad that you need a gate, you have a problem with something in your chain.

6. Boshizzle

Boshizzle Member

Just got an ISP Decimator today. It is pretty good. If you need to run one through your effects loop and in front of your amp, get an ISP Decimator G-string. Otherwise, the ISP Decimator will work just fine up front.

7. GrecoVee

GrecoVee Member

ISP Decimator....Enough Said!!!

8. BlackIrish

BlackIrish Member

...+1

9. rob2001

rob2001 Member

I would tend to agree with this.

10. peridot1

peridot1 Member

There are some pedals noisier than others. I like using EHX but not without a noise gate. MXR Dynacomp is another.

11. forum_crawler

forum_crawler Member

While this is true, you will have some amps like the Peavey 5150/6505/+ that are very noisy, and that has nothing to do with your chain. These amps are noisy even if you just plug your guitar direct.

There are other instances where you may have pedals, like a SansAmp GT2 which are also noisy, and these require gates as well.

Most of the time however you will find that tweaking your pedals and levels can greatly reduce hum and noise. I have a Keely Modded MT-2 that used to be noisy (when I first got it), and that prompted me to get a gate, only to realize that after months of use and tweaking, I could achieve the same result with lower gain, less volume and an EQ pedal.

Tweak away before you take the next step towards a gate, but if you do get it, there is nothing wrong with that either.

12. storm319

storm319 Member

These amps are terribly noisy and just plain sound bad. I think if this is your problem that it is time to look for a new amp.

13. forum_crawler

forum_crawler Member

Sorry, I would have to disagree. The 5150/6505/+ amps are great metal amps, and you need to spend twice or three times the amount to do better than the raw metal power these amps deliver.

It's all to do with your application. If you have a fender amp, and you are getting tons of hiss, then that is a different story, but high-gain = noise.

14. peterdjp

peterdjp Member

The ISP is great. It changes the tone very slightley. It adds a bit of boost and sparkle , that can be good thing. It is the best I've tried.

15. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

The next time the OP gigs w/a vintage-style Strat under old flourecent lights, I'm sure he'll want to stop the show to investigate his chain .

Last edited: Feb 18, 2009