• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

What is the best overdrive effect?

Steve73

In my experience, it depends on the amp/guitar/player. Tube screamers are great, especially with mid-scooped blackface Fenders. I am not as big a fan of them in front of Vox or Marshall amps. Fulltone Fulldrive's are a great overdrive too, not like TS's, but very nice.

vintage66

Wow, you're asking that here? You're going to get 800 different answers. :) I can't really pick just one because I like several a lot for what they do and I like variety. I'm liking my OD808 a lot, and just pickud up an OCD that I'm liking too. For live playing my old standard was the Fulldrive 2 on compcut, but it may have some stiff competition since I got the other two-it just seems to really work in a band context.

Oddos

No such thing, I could name about a hundred I liked.

Stevie used a TS-10, but mainly as a line driver since his splitter was passive.

58lespaulman

I have all these different overdrives on my board for different flavors of overdrive.

TIM
TIMMY
Pedalworx Cactus Crunch
MJM Blues Devil

Shane

Danny.st

I want to get the 800 different answers, 808 to be correct :)

Wow, you're asking that here? You're going to get 800 different answers. :) I can't really pick just one because I like several a lot for what they do and I like variety. I'm liking my OD808 a lot, and just pickud up an OCD that I'm liking too. For live playing my old standard was the Fulldrive 2 on compcut, but it may have some stiff competition since I got the other two-it just seems to really work in a band context.

Hoss

haha...i've had the original 808...and it was awesome...but not exactly what i was looking for...however...i can't imagine liking any light/medium OD's better than the Pearl Drive and Blues Pro...but i'll soon find out as i have a Timmy in the works as well!

For the heavier stuff...i think i have all my bases covered with my modded AC-Tone, Guv'nor, & Purple Drive!

RobertKeeley

Platinum Supporting Member
Ahhh, the one that puts a smile on your face and makes you play with ease. The one that lets you stretch out with innovation and when over, the REST of the band turns to you with a smile... even the drummer... and says DUDE, let's play that again, I was kicking ass, did you hear me?!?!?

sodapopinski

there is no such thing as the best. Its about the individual and what their ears like. TONE is a personal choice, everyone has different ideas as to how it should sound, which is good, it gives us variety.

MHermans

I use a Red Snapper (Menatone) for low OD, a Blue Collar (menatone) for low-medium od and a plush cream (Fuchs) for lead. These are all basically tube screamers. Tried a lot of Overdrives and these are the ones that worked best for my set up and playing style.

Bluesbuff

Wow, so many possible flavors of OD who can choose just one. On my board currently, Zendrive>Fd 2 mosfet>TS808>King of Tone.

B_of_H

ts808's are okay but they are best used with the drive all the way off and set for a slight boost into an on the verge of breakup tube amp.

if you want to get the sound of a cranked amp in a pedal then there are a few that get close enough for me but it's a matter of taste...a ts808 or ts9 isn't one of them.

Trending Topics