What is the BEST pedal for you that TGPers think is bad?" ALTERNATIVE VERSION

AlanH

Following tedm's recent initiative I wondered how his question might work out the other way round.

I've only really just got in to pedals myself and have bought several budget clones recently. One man's junk is another man's treasure and all that.

I guess most of my pedals (apart from maybe my Carbon copy) might be frowned upon by the discerning but many are giving me some great results and lots of fun with it.

I own:

• Yamaha DDS 20M - An old MIJ digital delay from the '80s that most won't have heard of or remember. It's a bit scratchy pot wise which needs some work, but it has a lot of clarity (that I'm not sure I like)
  • Bad Monkey - many like but some hate the harshness or the brand but they're a collectors item now right? I like it anyway. It's my only TS type. Best with single coils I think.
  • Pocket Metal Muff Nano - I haven't really see this one come up in the short time I've been posting here but, while not very tweakable and a bit full on, it does give a good Megadeth Rust in Peace representation if you like that kind of thing. The scooped settings are out for me.
  • Marshall RG-1 - again, I haven't see this one come up here but, for me, it seems pretty good on many of its modulation settings
  • Carbon Copy - OK it's not a Strymon timeline but it's the most expensive one I own and I love its warmth. I think a lot of other TGPers like it too though.
  • Artec SE-GEQ - EQ and tuner. Well it has 8 bands going for it and it can lift a blanket of a cheap amp used for low volume play but I don't trust it.
  • Tone City Golden Plexi - I'm not so sure about this one myself
  • Biyang RV10 & CO10 - These are excellent for the money but the reverb is especially natural sounding IMO
  • Joyo British, Sweet Baby, Ultimate Drive & US Dream - Well all these four for me are giving me a lot of tone and value given that quite a few folks would not want one of these on their board.

I suspect that answer to this question for me is all my Joyos and my Biyangs, unless some detractors secretly think they're OK.

So, does anybody else want to lie on the couch and open up about the "junk" they secretly like. What are the non-budget pedals that might be generally frowned upon but secretly liked?

Cheers

Alan

Overdriver18

Most of the stuff on your list isnt hated, its just not talked about. People recommended the Carbon Copy for years and the Bad Monkey shows up in a lot of the big TS threads.

Most people here don't really dislike a lot of stuff. Id say most people here would own every single pedal if money was no option. Its very rare to see a lot of people being negative to anything other than Boss Distortions.

Jahn

Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver
Silver Supporting Member
My DOD FX-17. I have tried fancier wahs and volumes. This one just gets it done. You can score one for $25-35 bucks still.

image.jpeg

Ime, you're looked down upon for disliking any pedal (unless it's from a crooked company).

"Don't blame the tool if you can't make awesome music with it" etc.

Everybody likes the bad monkey except for me.

bluesoul

You don't own enough pedals to post on this subject. One must have a minmum of 43, 6 of which must cost over $400.00. At least two or more pedal boards so you can "show your backup".
I am sorry but these are the unwritten rules that must be met! So...let loose of some of that cash and write a "merry Christmas to me" thread!
(Just goofing ya know!)

Now to answer your question...Bad Monkey!

tedm

The bad monkey was revered by many for a year or two many years back here, it was the "golden TS1" sleeper. Then folks figured it didn't cost enough, so they started dissing it. I wanted to like it, but everytime I played one at GC, It was just "meh" One day I wanted to buy a Digitech pedal so badly, I even bought the Blues Screamer instead, which I sometimes use for acoustic, because it just sounded so much better than the Bad Monkey to me, but at that time I did have some 808/ts9s already.

bluesoul

The bad monkey was revered by many for a year or two many years back here, it was the "golden TS1" sleeper. Then folks figured it didn't cost enough, so they started dissing it. I wanted to like it, but everytime I played one at GC, It was just "meh" One day I wanted to buy a Digitech pedal so badly, I even bought the Blues Screamer instead, which I sometimes use for acoustic, because it just sounded so much better than the Bad Monkey to me, but at that time I did have some 808/ts9s already.

Don't all pedals sound "meh" when you try them out at a music store? You are not using your guitar and amp and if one is polite...you are not cranking any real volume out right? At least that has been my experience. Come on "the Monkey"...it is like they are almost giving it away for free!
If it was any cheeper Digi would be paying you to own it!

tedm

Nope, opposite problem, I feel like god, when I play a Steve Vai or Joe Satriani signature Ibanez through a Metal Zone at GC. I pretty much get asked for autographs, and definitely play louder than I can at home. Bad Monkey is like a low end blues wanna be pedal. Now that Blues Screamer does have some gain to it.

Don't all pedals sound "meh" when you try them out at a music store? You are not using your guitar and amp and if one is polite...you are not cranking any real volume out right? At least that has been my experience. Come on "the Monkey"...it is like they are almost giving it away for free!
If it was any cheeper Digi would be paying you to own it!

tedm

I've heard some people like the purple one. Not sure if that was a joke, or if the purple one is voiced differently? I can't remember the color I played, but it did nothing for my tone, but suck it.

nobody likes the timmy but me; in fact, i am the sole banner carrier for transparent overdrives of any kind.

bluesoul

I've heard some people like the purple one. Not sure if that was a joke, or if the purple one is voiced differently? I can't remember the color I played, but it did nothing for my tone, but suck it.

Purple...yes it was a joke! The purple one would do nothing for your tone either! No need to try one.

wildschwein

I love to love things people hate. Boss DS-1 is at the top of the list. Also love $29 Caline pedals at the moment -- the BB rip off is just killer. The Star Wars prequels rule and Jar Jar is also an awesome character. Winners gotta win. I largely love to hate the Gear Page.

jimmyj

I've never heard anyone else that liked the Marshall Bluesbreaker II pedal. I used it as my only drive pedal for about 8 years and loved it. I even loaned to someone when theirs was acting up and he couldn't unplug it fast enough.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom