What is the best sounding 4x12 that you've ever played out of?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Dr. Tweedbucket, Jul 18, 2008.

1. Dr. Tweedbucket

Dr. Tweedbucket Deluxe model available !!!11

Gamma Ray detection station on Mt. Kwakkleberry
    .... and what speakers were you using?

I had a early 70s Hiwatt SE4123 with reissue Celestion greenbacks that sounded amazingly good. I don't know if it was that little port opening in the back or what, but that cab had some seriously FAT tone!! :drink

2. eyeball987

eyeball987 Member

Mine would be an old Music Man 4X12 that is beat too hell. Tolex is torn here and there, the front grill cloth is missing, front baffle spray painted sliver, and the speakers are covered with those round metal grills that are used on big car speakers. I had to add those after my knee pushed through one of the original square magnet Emi's that were in it.

I still have two of the Emi's but have used a mix of V30's, G12m70's, V12's, the Emi's, and Warehouse CL80's. Currently running the V12's and 80's.

Sounds warm, fat, and will cut out your heart if you EQ it that way. I prefer this cab over the Mesa 4X12 with V30's that came with a Tverb I had, a Rivera cab, a Horizon 2X12, Marshall 4X12, and a Blue Voodoo 4X12. Plus it is a touch smaller than the other cabs above so it fits nicely in a car trunk, etc...

3. Greazygeo

Greazygeo Member

The cab on the right. Great cab.

[​IMG]

4. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

+1 to the early Hiwatt cabs, esp. w/ Fane speakers.

Only other 4x12 I've heard that's comparable is THD's current production design.

5. The Captain

The Captain Supporting Member

The H&K quad with greenies that came with my Triamp. The longer I own that rig, the more I realise how lucky I was buying it.
    Less good for spanky clean, but for anything OD, grindish, chunk, purr or hellacious distortion, the cab will add to whatever your amp is putting into it and make sure it sounds sweet.

6. Noah

Noah Member

I have several speaker cabs, but the best I've owned is my Zwengel 4x12. It makes every amp sound MUCH better. I've heard the same company that makes the Bogner 4x12s made them for Zwengel. The bad thing is the damn thing is so heavy I ended up in the ER one night from carrying it a few city blocks. I thought I was having a heart attack, but found out that I had tore some connective tissue around my ribs. Ouch!

7. thegame

thegame Member

Wish I still had it. That thing must be over 100 lbs. Do you know exactly how much ?

8. iggs

iggs Member

My old VHT 4x12 Fat Bottom Slant with Eminence P50E.

Loud, super tight, articulate and not a hint of mushy breakup or farting out. At times it felt like I had a sub-woofer hooked up, the low end was so massive and tight while highs were always crystal clear and sharp but never fatiguing or ear piercing.

9. wsaraceni

wsaraceni Member

heebgb's old marshall 4x12.

10. drewl

drewl Member

A friend has a late 60's marshall basketweave which is the best I've played through, second best is my early 70's marshall bass checkerboard with the H30's.
    Then again the Celestion Blues in my AC30 sound great, does that count?

11. mlongano

mlongano Supporting Member

Greg Germino's personal vintage Marshall cabinet(s) with Greenbacks.

12. Ascension

Ascension Member

The new Fender EVH cabs!! I have owned a bunch of 4/12 over the years and that one stunned me!! I did some A/B testing at a local shop with Marshalls , The Boogie rec cabs and several others in the amp iso room a few months ago. The EVH Fender cab blew um all out of the water and just flat sounded incredable!! Who wouldda ever thunk it :jo but :AOK

13. Greazygeo

Greazygeo Member

I think it is 100lbs with the GB's....at 3am I think it doubles though :jo

It is a very nice cab. Only one cab thats sounds better....and its only by a little...the beat up 60's Marshall cab in the corner....it weighs about the same too!

[​IMG]

14. Greazygeo

Greazygeo Member

It is one of the Multi Dispersion cabs. The sound spreads out around the room wider than a standard 4-12. Lots of internal differences too....like Gary said....it weighs a ton!! Alot more than the cab next to it. They are both loaded with regular GB RI's from the early to mid 90's.

I'd like to find another one so I'd have two matching cabs. Someday! :)

15. ?&!

?&! Member

I played an ancient HiWatt 4x12 with original Fanes that was mind boggling. I have 2 friends that have '68 Marshall slant cabs with original Greenies, and they aren't too shabby, either. The best 4x12 I personally owned was an old Bogner w/English V30s, and the best sounding current production 4x12 I've heard is the THD.

16. mlongano

mlongano Supporting Member

+1 ...I am amazed at the sound of the new EVH 5150III cab.

17. jackaroo

jackaroo Member

Tall Marshall 4x12- from 66 with original speakers.

Yummy-

Jack

18. gldtp99

gldtp99 Member

The best sounding one that i've owned was an Orange 4x12----i recently picked up an early 70's Hiwatt cab w/Fanes but i haven't taken it over to the workshop yet---- i've played it the former owner's studio and it does sound good----i don't know if it's better than my current favorite early 70's Marshall 1960B--- i'll find out soon..............gldtp99

19. Clonehead

Clonehead Member

Marshall with Greenbacks

20. Deaj

Deaj Member

I used to own a mid 70's Marshall slant cab that had been re-loaded with some generically labeled Celestions questionably identified as 50watters, cannot remember the model number. It was by far the best sounding 4x12 I've ever used. I've owned early cabs with 25watters, one 80's cab with G1265's, others. That beat-up cab cab with the 50watters sounded awesome I used it with a couple of early 70's JMP50's and a THD Plexi head.

That cab was stolen!! :BITCH