what is the best sounding fuzz?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by GrisGrisFunk, Nov 12, 2005.

1. GrisGrisFunk

GrisGrisFunk Member

I'm in the market for a really good sounding fuzz. I use a Germino Classic 45 with a 2X12 (greenbacks). I play a Strat with WCR sr pickups and a Les Paul with WCR Darkbursts. I'm looking for a fuzz that can replicate the sounds of Hendrix, Gilmour, and Page.

I used to own a Fulltone 70's pedal, I did like it and regret getting rid of it. But I haven't really tried any other fuzzes than that one. Let me know if there is anything else on the market right now that is better. Money is not an issue. Let me know, thanks!

Mike

2. meterman

meterman Member

The best sounding and most versatile fuzz I've played/owned is the Retroman Sybil. Amazing pedal.....the McFuzzes are also cool

3. guitarhurricane

guitarhurricane Member

The analogman sunface is really not right now. Really hard to beat the '70 pedal for me, though I do like the tonebender copies out there. I always loved the soulbender and have always wanted to try the yardbox, though they are quite different than the fuzz face clones.

4. aquadog

aquadog Member

I agree the mcfuzz is a pretty damn good choice and can get a very large range of tones.

Only thing is you got three different types of fuzzes in those choices: fuzz face (and silicon if you're also searching for a band of gypsies tone), big muff, and tonebender. Can't really think of a single pedal that does all that.

I'm sure you'll get plenty of other mentions though for an all around tweakable fuzz.

5. GrisGrisFunk

GrisGrisFunk Member

Thanks for the heads up meterman. The Retroman fuzz sounds pretty good, I listened to some clips and liked what I heard.

To guitarhurricane, yeah, I did like the 70's pedal... I would like to find something better. It was a pretty good sounding pedal, but it didn't have that instant gratification thing for me.

To aquadog, hehe, you noticed I picked three guys that use three different fuzzes. I mainly want a fuzzface sound. Hendrix and early Gilmour (he started to use a Big Muff around the Animals era). The Page sound I do like, but I'm not too picky on the fuzz covering the Tonebender thing. I know it will be hard to find something that will cover everything. Know of any good Fuzzface copies? I like a Fuzzface tone with lots of sustain.

Thanks for the replies!

Mike

6. exodus

exodus Member

McFuzz is excellent. One of my favorite all round dirt pedals.

7. highfidelity66

highfidelity66 Supporting Member

i think the kr gypsy fuzz is outstanding. and if u liked the 70 pedal yous really love the mjm london 2 silicon and i just happen to have one used for a great price! to me it nails the hendrix bog stuff as well as covers lots of fuzz tones out there just my .02 :dude

8. guitarhurricane

guitarhurricane Member

Fuzz pedals are so finicky I don't know if there is such a thing as instant gratification. I am now using a vintage fuzz face, with bc 108c's and it is amazing. Still thought there are times when it don't seem to be perfect. Chalk it up to line voltage in the amps and my ears hearing things different on different days.

9. JKoeth

JKoeth Supporting Member

Lovepedal Black Beauty Balance.

10. jcshirke

jcshirke Silver Supporting Member

Find one of the Pro Analog fuzzes, a Scary Face (no longer made) or MKII.

Fulltone '69 and Soul Bender are also very cool. +1 on the Analogman as well.

11. turtleheadblues

turtleheadblues Senior Member

The McFuzz is very cool because you can get OD tones as well as fuzz. Covers alot of ground.

12. eric-d

eric-d Member

My Analog.Man modded Fuzz Face with the NKT-275's is just plain awesome..... Sounds great through Fender's and Marshall's!! I'd like to try the MJM London Fuzz someday.

13. muddy

muddy Member

if you wait a bit, the fuzz royale w/cheez (pro analog) is due to rear it's ugly head, and my money is on it being the fuzz to end all fuzz wars! as is, my fave fuzz is the one that kicks in at 3:00 on pro analog's power driver!! YEOW-W-W!!! otherwise, the fuzz to get now, in my book, is the bjf pink purple fuzz. the thing cleans up like a champ, and you won't find a fart or a flub within 100 miles of yer rig. seriously, if the pedal world had a "7 wonders if the world," the ppf would be on that list. it's a bonafide monster!

ml

14. johnny67

johnny67 Guest

Highfidelity66 is right about KR's Gypsy Fuzz-Randy Hansen is using it for his jimi tones with KR's Megavibe-check out KR's website:KR Musical Products :dude

15. stratovarius

stratovarius Supporting Member

I have used fuzzes that sound like choirs of angels with some amps and a can of angry bees with another amp. You will probably get the best advice from someone who has a similar setup.

I would recommend the Cornish G-2, but like I said...