What is the best stompbox reverb?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by blood5150, Feb 5, 2008.

1. blood5150

blood5150 Member

Im looking for something that will sound good with gain and have a good clean sound as well...

Let me know what you guys think. True bypass is a plus as well...

2. svanangen

svanangen Member

Well, I have previously owned a Holy Grail and a Digiverb and I now play through a T-Rex Room-mate and the T-Rex slays the aforementioned...

3. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

FWIW, "this slays that" isn't helpful w/o an explanation why the player believes so. Not intending to be ungrateful for your post - to the contrary, it's interesting, I just wish you'd have included some supporting info. so we could actually use it. :BEER

This issue's been discussed here literally 175 times before (see below Search results) with much useful info. and many helpful reviews to consider:

(quick 'n' easy Search function results, in Effects section, for threads with "reverb" in the titles):
    http://www.thegearpage.net/board/search.php?searchid=5787395

4. MarkWorth

MarkWorth Member

yeah, i have to completely DISagree with that statement. While i don't like the Holy Grail personally, lots of folks really do...and honestly, i really think the T-Rex is mostly a gimmick with that tube in there. I mean, it sounds fine, but it's not great for anything other than subtle verb.

If you want a great all in one, the Verbzilla's are under $100 used and well worth it. Some of the others are fine too, but i think the verbzilla is the best all around rite now...

5. blood5150

blood5150 Member

I looked at the verbzilla on MF... does anyone know if its true bypass?

it doesnt say on the web site, my guess it that it isnt...

6. orogeny

orogeny Supporting Member

can the verbzilla do springy fenderverb?

7. redpill

redpill Member

I'm coming across as a Tech 21 shill these days, but I genuinely like the sound of the Boost R.V.B., and it has a ton of tweakability.

8. Guitar Josh

Guitar Josh Resident Curmudgeon Silver Supporting Member

9. LouRossi

LouRossi Member

Hope the new Digitech w/ the Lexicon chip will be good... Anyone know the street date for those new boxes?

10. radcliff

radcliff Member

I am down to the Nova vs. the RRR.... these seem like the best from the research I've done.

But I may just go the cheap route and get a Boss RV3

11. semi-hollowbody

semi-hollowbody Member

I have tried the digitech digiverb, the boss rv-5, and the holy grail

I still have the digiverb and the rv-5 is on my board...the holy hiss lasted one night and I got rid of that noisy mess...its more of a gimmick reverb...where as my other two came close to the built in reverb on my drri

12. Tinman

Tinman Member

I went from a Holy Grail to the Dr. Scientist Radical Red Reverberator and I am very happy with it. The T-Rex looked interesting, but its more expensive and can't be run off of a standard power supply. The RRR doesn't have a "spring" setting, but that hasn't stopped me from loving this pedal.

13. enge

enge Member

14. re-animator

re-animator Senior Member

I prefer the boss rv-5... but I don't really like amp-y spring reverb. had a fender and sold it... i much prefer the sound of hall reverbs and studio plate sounds... much more musical and useful to me. Also nice and simple once they're dialed in.

15. booj

booj Member

I like the Holy Grail. Works for me.

16. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

I've said it too many times so...shorter version.

I know many like and use the HG well, but I absolutely hated (really...hated) everything about it. The size, the necessity for own power, the non-control of the reverb tail, the non control of tone, etc.
    Amend that, I liked it for the first two minutes I used one, and then it started grating on me.

After much searching, I found the EBS Dynaverb. I A/B'ed it with the built in reverb on my HR DeVille, and preferred it (honest). Even though it has all kinds of verb it doesn't have "spring" but with just a minute of tweaking I got it to sound to my ears the same (but nicer..but same type) as the one in the HR DV. I have used mine for years, it EVEN handles my Prosonic's HOT effects loop, which no other I have could. It takes 9 vdc, normal power center neg, has a reverb TONE control, several types of reverb each with it's own submodes...mix control. It is Boss width and length, but about half boss height.

I never had a problem with mine, but recently heard two others that said they did, so I can only say, used mine for years regularly, and not a problem ever, and I think it sounds GREAT.

17. paulydangerous

paulydangerous Member

I agree with the EBS Dynaverb.

18. Jon Silberman

There is no good reason I can see for a reverb pedal costing $250 and if it does, it had BETTER be the best!

19. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

I don't know where you do your shopping...but..

People pay 250 dollars for a 10 component fuzz. People pay 250 dollars, happily, for a vibe. A reverb is a pretty complex piece of equipment, compared...even though in a real reverb unit is is just a driver and some springs, to dublicate it takes a lot of engineering (to do it well).

Ever notice how few boutiquers build reverb pedals? There is a reason for that. That said, the Digitech is relatively inexpensive, but it kind of like a nice toy compared with the EBS.

Just my opinion.

20. Jon Silberman

I don't know where I do my shopping anymore either! :eek:

Seriously, SBB, of course I dig what you're saying and I own some expensive boutique gear m'self. However, as I just posted in another thread, I like my <$100 Guyatone Micro-Compressor better than the boutique alternative which I bought primarily because of the hype, right here in this section of this forum. Yes, I "trusted" the prevailing wisdom and then returned it a few days later because it was no better for my needs than the cheapie little mass-produced item I had on my board all along.

I really do try to "listen with my ears" when it comes to pedals. I will pay more when I have do but absolutely won't when I don't. Boss, Marshall, Line 6, DigiTech, EH, they can all build reverb pedals for $100-$150, so we know for a fact it can be done. And each of these "bargain basement" pedals has its "endorsers" here, too!

BTW, personally, having tried the DigiTech, I didn't care for it. I know others like it, that's cool, we're not robots looking for identical tones! But it's not what I want to hear when I listen to a reverb pedal.

FWIW, tonewise, I'm 100% satisfied with current my EH Holy Grail. It's that I've had enough with the noise and whine. That's why I'm back in the reverb pedal market now. Were I to read a review that said, "This particular pedal sounds just like the EH Holy Grail but it's small and silent," I'd probably buy it.