What is the best tele for blues and why?

Yeah I know, I know it is a pretty open ended question but as I shop for a tele I've been looking at a lot of guitars, nocasters, reissues, and custom shops. They all have different woods, necks, and pickups which makes it rather challenging. But I did start thinking, what will I use a tele for? Why blues of course! So all you tele players out there what makes a great blues tele?

funkmaster

muddy waters tele

It's really up to your technique and touch though, the telecaster can do most genres fairly well

XKnight

Any Tele is a great Blues guitar, but if I had to choose I would get one with a Humbucker in the neck.

AaeCee

Silver Supporting Member
A good blues tele should have pickups that are slightly hotter than a twangy country music setup. Mine has an ash body, fat Nocaster neck with rosewood board, Fender Twisted Tele neck pickup and SD Jerry Donahue bridge, and puts out a fat tele tone. Still gets plenty twangy with the tone all up, but has some extra girth so it really slams for blues. The alternative that others mentioned with a hum or mini hum in the neck is also nice, but a warm tele style pup there really sounds great as well.

Marble

my friend's American standard tele that is 10 or so years old has a great blues tone..you pretty much can't go wrong. I used it as my main lead guitar alot when I would use my Les Paul only as a slide guitar for some gigs.

A good blues tele should have pickups that are slightly hotter than a twangy country music setup. Mine has an ash body, fat Nocaster neck with rosewood board, Fender Twisted Tele neck pickup and SD Jerry Donahue bridge, and puts out a fat tele tone. Still gets plenty twangy with the tone all up, but has some extra girth so it really slams for blues. The alternative that others mentioned with a hum or mini hum in the neck is also nice, but a warm tele style pup there really sounds great as well.
Really? A rosewood nocaster neck? I thought they were all maple. Cool!

AaeCee

Silver Supporting Member
Really? A rosewood nocaster neck? I thought they were all maple. Cool!
Yeah, it's a bit of an odd piece with a very flamed and very fat maple neck and rosewood board. A few years back, the Fender CS put out a small batch like that. I replaced the bridge plate and pickup with a Glendale and a JD, and it was off to the races!

AaeCee

Silver Supporting Member
Yeah, that Tele could play blues. Here's yer "best tele for blues"

The neck p.u. is a P90 with magnet poles (covered up with a CC-lookin' piece o' plastic). Very "Fndr-y" sounding.
Ding ding ding.....Winner! The snakeskin guard seals the deal!

The neck p.u. is a P90 with magnet poles (covered up with a CC-lookin' piece o' plastic). Very "Fndr-y" sounding.
Oh my god, oh my god, oh my god......................................Oh my god!!! Where do you guys get these things!!!!!!!!! I'm literally speechless.

NoahL

A G&L ASAT Special, the one with the bigger (P-90-sized-but-don't-sound-like-P-90s) pickups. Very versatile, powerful, fat, etc. And it'll do some Nashville too, if you like.

I suppose it's important to have a reversed humbucker in the neck of your Keef Tele, but note that he's playing the bridge pup in this pic! Great pic, btw.

funkmaster

A G&L ASAT Special, the one with the bigger (P-90-sized-but-don't-sound-like-P-90s) pickups. Very versatile, powerful, fat, etc. And it'll do some Nashville too, if you like.

I suppose it's important to have a reversed humbucker in the neck of your Keef Tele, but note that he's playing the bridge pup in this pic! Great pic, btw.
ho! you are bery skilled and watchful! Reversed neck humbucker+slide= great sound.

LJOHNS

I picked up a 50th aniversary MIJ deluxe tele that has two strat pickups (neck and middle) and a tele bridge pu. I can get an amazing range of tones out of this baby - blues = no probelm! I am going to load it up with Dimazio area pickups this spring.

jpervin

On a similar note, this one plays the blues quite well. That Vintage Vibe P-90 in the neck + a tweed Deluxe amp + reverb = old school '50s Chess blues tone!

Also, I have this here muttcaster, with SD Antiquity II pickups. That neck pickup's tone is fatter than Bessie Smith and Hollywood Fats put together!

Trending Topics