• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

What is The BEST Thing You Ever Did For Your Amp?

Powderfinger

Platinum Supporting Member
Stopped trying to polish a turd. Realized that everything in the signal chain had to support the tone I was looking for. I wanted JCM 800/Plexi tones and most of the amps I had were Fender voiced circuits - close but no cigar. 'Polishing' with pedals got me only part way there. Bought a JCM 800.

Russ
Stopped trying to polish a turd. Realized that everything in the signal chain had to support the tone I was looking for. I wanted JCM 800/Plexi tones and most of the amps I had were Fender voiced circuits - close but no cigar. 'Polishing' with pedals got me only part way there. Bought a JCM 800.

Russ

Russ

Russ
But did you stop trying to polish a turd?

Leonc

Wild Gear Hearder
I've done different things for different amps. For the last 10 years or so, I've mostly been into restoring vintage amps and building my own. Regarding restoring old ones, the best things I have done include all the typical things, like replacing bad caps, resistors and often speakers, occasionally a bad transformer. I never cease to be amazed at how poorly some of them have been "repaired." Undoing/fixing the kinds of inferior, lazy-ass and often stupid/unsafe alterations I've found has been a source of great pleasure and usually, very good tone :)

Regarding the amps I've been building, the best things I've done have typically involved learning to tweak various parts of the circuits to make them more to my liking...and recognizing when it's time to stop tweaking because I'm just not going to get it any better sounding.

Rumble5

Best thing? For my '76 JMP it was putting a PPIMV on it. For my '66 Pro Reverb it was putting two Weber Legacy speakers in it.

markjsmith

Gold Supporting Member
I have an old BF Deluxe that I got cheap years ago. It sounded "good" but not great. I went to a friends shop (he was a vintage Fender amp guru) and we both played through it. He handed me a screwdriver and said tighten every screw you can find. I did and the amp came alive big time, like night and day!

Think Floyd

Gold Supporting Member
Learned to use it properly. It's true, no B.S.
This is what I need to do. Every amp (and pedal) I've ever owned always sounded better when someone else used them. It seems like everyone else knows how to adjust the controls on amps, pedal, and the guitar to get a good tone except for me. I basically plug in, twist a few knobs, and play.

RussB

low rent hobbyist

Russ

Where have I heard THAT before? :rotflmao

Hulakatt

Has done terrible things for a klondike bar
Gold Supporting Member
Best thing? Built it myself.

Next best thing? Turned the amp up and the guitar down.

3rd? Greenbacks.

fretless

Silver Supporting Member
Best thing was probably taking out a Celestion 70/80 speaker and putting in a Cannibus Rex. What a positive difference!

aynirar27

Double
Me personally??

Trending Topics

Top Bottom