• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

What is The BEST Thing You Ever Did For Your Amp?

sickboy79

1. NOS tubes
2. High Quality speaker cable (amp to cab - I use Colossal Cable)
3. High quality power cable

Phletch

I put a 12AY7 in V2 of my Mini Rec. It softened the OD (ie, took some edge off, made it more "round") and made the gain knob less spikey, ie, I have more fine control over a wider range of adjustment.

ggwwbb

Silver Supporting Member
Backing off the gain to half or less was the best thing I did......I generally like a pretty dirty tone, but backing off the gain showed me how to work the dynamics better by touch and guitar volume, while still being pretty dirty.

Radspin

Have your tube amps looked over by a competent tech at regular intervals. Over time, caps and components can deteriorate and it can be hard to notice that your amp's performance is slipping unless you encounter a major failure. My Dual Showman Reverb was starting to hum and not sound as "sweet" as it normally did. Got it fixed and now it's dead quiet and sounds like g-d.

R.C.Moran

Gold Supporting Member
Put EV12Ls in my Lonestar Classic. Sounds like a dream. Also spending more than just a few minutes with the EQ.

yucatown

Gold Supporting Member
Get a good clean power source for it. I use a Furman P1800 PF, which is designed for amps. Night and day in terms of hiss, pops and weird noises.

And, a good attenuator is essential. Instead of spending hundreds on dirt, just get an Aracom and let the amp do the talking.

Dave_C

This is what I need to do. Every amp (and pedal) I've ever owned always sounded better when someone else used them. It seems like everyone else knows how to adjust the controls on amps, pedal, and the guitar to get a good tone except for me. I basically plug in, twist a few knobs, and play.

Much to be said about being able to dial with ears and not eyes.

Dave_C

Speaker selection and break-in. It took me a long time to realize\believe how much of a difference speaker break-in makes in the tone and character of an amp.
It's almost everything. I won't even mount a speaker these days without breaking it in with a variac for at least 24 hours.

Robal

Gold Supporting Member
For a two channel amp with distinctly voiced channels (e.g. Selmer Zodiac, Blankenship-modified Bassman, Super Reverb), or two complimentary amps run simultaneously, I use a Lehle Dual SGoS pedal. The ability to adjust the gain structure individually for two of the channels when engaged is terrific. With it I was able to get a lot more useful tones out of the amps. This was after I got the tubes and speakers right, of course.

cardinal

By a nice 4x12 (older 1960 cab with G12-65s). Now I don't fuss with its EQ any more. Plug in and it just sounds right to me.

LPMojoGL

Music Room Superstar
Silver Supporting Member
Learned to use it properly. It's true, no B.S.
Turned it up........and turn the guitar volume down.
Since becoming a TGP member in 08, I've went from using a Soldano Hot Rod, to going through many master volume and nmv amps, and had these realizations along the way. Every amp has it's strong point. To find it, you usually need to turn it up.

Also, speakers make a huge difference in sound, kind of like the final, overall eq.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom