• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

What is The BEST Thing You Ever Did For Your Amp?

doesitmatter

Stopped using the standby, took out the metal plate surrounding the tubes and added a jumper cable to the effects loop, all in my AC30. Doesn't blow up anymore.

TheoDog

Silver Supporting Member
Marked knob settings after more than 3 unsolicited compliments from non-relatives.
Road case.

Cgkindler

Turned it up........and turn the guitar volume down.

Been doing that myself....noticing that there is a lot more touch sensativity when there's alittle more volume on tap.

Also, I think Two Rock is LYING when they say the Studio Pro 22 is 22 watts......It's REDICILOUSLY LOUD at 30% volume.....in a great way! lol

cal1024

I bought an old amp off of Craigslist super cheap because the owner claimed it was a "turd". Polished up that SOB.

Geeze

Sorry about the multiple posts - I was in delirious rapture while playing a JCM800 pushing 2 M75 Scumbacks at stage volume with my guitar teacher. OK, that actually came later - my internet connection barfed during a storm. Delirium sounds better.

Russ

jlinde

The single best thing that anybody can do to any amp is to buy some strong NOS preamp tubes....preferably long black plate. They really ARE that much better.....for those of you who haven't tried it out. It's almost like there is a lost art in the tube making process from the 40's and 50's.

DICKIE C

Since becoming a TGP member in 08, I've went from using a Soldano Hot Rod, to going through many master volume and nmv amps, and had these realizations along the way. Every amp has it's strong point. To find it, you usually need to turn it up.

Also, speakers make a huge difference in sound, kind of like the final, overall eq.
I think Aspen Pittman put it best in his Tube Amp Book;
You don't really hear the soul of an amp until you turn it up past four.

Ephi82

The single best thing that anybody can do to any amp is to buy some strong NOS preamp tubes....preferably long black plate. They really ARE that much better.....for those of you who haven't tried it out. It's almost like there is a lost art in the tube making process from the 40's and 50's.
This and Weber speakers for a blackface pro reverb

Oh, ya, and pull v1

Trending Topics

Top Bottom