• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

What is The BEST Thing You Ever Did For Your Amp?

Carl_Tone

Mostly nice replies but consider this my bros: Improving your abilities is not going to transfer to someone else who plays or subsequently owns your amp. I can start a Practice vs. Gear purchases thread for y'all... if ya need it that bad...

but this one refers to stuff you did to your amp...tubes, bright caps, eq-in-loop, cables, etc...even stands...but not practice.

:horse

StompBoxBlues

Finding out that auditioning preamp tubes in the first (V1) position.
Just regular production...not NOS or ANOS (just now bought my first ANOS Tubes but haven't tried them yet) just regular. I discovered by having a bunch...out of eight or ten, always find two or so heads above the others.

NotWesYet

After trying different tubes, etc. I took it to an exceptional amp tech.

What made the difference is he asked me what type of guitar I played (a 335 at the time). He got a recent one out, had me plug into a similar amp (BF Fender) and he said plug it in a play for awhile...

He watched and listened to what I did to get the tone I was after.....

He had it done in about a month and it never sounded better!

Amp techs with knowledge and experience are great. One that will actually listen to you play and help you achieve your sound is extraordinary!

mad dog

Silver Supporting Member
For me, it's as Dickie says. Just learned to use it properly. No assumption about how I "should" set knobs. Figure it out, and start over on every amp.

The other three things were A. trying different tubes, which involved B. learning how to bias, as heard through C. Experimenting with different speakers.
MD

Bluesful

Silver Supporting Member
Left it alone and didn't tinker with it 'just because stock tubes are crap' and other statements like that.

Brewski

Performed the Frommel mod on the hot rod deluxe II - turned a ho hum into a humdinger! Cut the reverb cap and now u can use the reverb knob past one.

Brewski

Made a tone change to the jcm2000 DSL 100 - forgot which resister i clipped in the preamp stage but turned a buzzing POS inot a great crunch monster and crazy lead sustainer.

Also - always swap the tubes - depends on what the amp wants is what i switch to but for cheap and toney - the JJ and Ruby's seem to be quiet but lively with tone. I have some NOS tubes that in places make your hair stand on end but they usually become micophonic at all the wrong moments

ReddyKilowatt

Mostly nice replies but consider this my bros: Improving your abilities is not going to transfer to someone else who plays or subsequently owns your amp. I can start a Practice vs. Gear purchases thread for y'all... if ya need it that bad...

but this one refers to stuff you did to your amp...tubes, bright caps, eq-in-loop, cables, etc...even stands...but not practice.

:horse
All good...but the best thing I ever did FOR my amp was become a better player...

logdrum

Have my tech (who doesn't want to be named - he is retired ) go over my amps. I am also planning to call Mesa Boogie and bring a couple of amps to Petaluma directly and have Mike B if possible refresh it. I hope they will agree to it. I will be in the Bay Area for 2 weeks mid August I hope they can find the time so I can drop it off and pick it up in 2 weeks (I am driving)

What I have done myself are:

Put good pre-amp tubes some ANOS, some NOS, some current.
Resolder some loose ground wires
Clean all the pots and jacks
Use a good voltage regulator and variac if applicable
Bias the amp and in the case of Boogies got Mesa tubes or tubes close to their spec
By a tube scout to measure bias
Change some combo speakers to Alnicos
Repair all speaker cables.

Started using good TRS instead of unbalance cables in the effects loop, even if the effect doesn't call for one. Also researching on effect buffers.

Good condition amp and guitar makes practicing a pleasure.

superdave2001

Gold Supporting Member
Threw an Eminence Maverick FDM speaker into my Limited Ed. HRDx III. Excellent sounding American-voiced speaker that has tamed the insane volume that's on tap (I'm running it normally on 50% attenuated...that way I can go MORE for quieter gigs, or go less for louder ones). And there is no discernible change to my tone. Much better than any hardware attenuator I've tried. No, it won't go from scream to whisper....but this is the best REAL WORLD solution I've found.

Also replaced the cheap internal speaker cable with a heavy duty Monster one.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom