• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

What is the best tube amp (combo) under $600 in your opinion?

wilblee

Hack sans shame
Platinum Supporting Member
The Fender Blues Jr. III doesn't get a lot of love here sometimes, but I love mine. It's the Texas edition with a Celestion Vintage 30 in it. I took it on a gig that only needed a small combo this past Friday and was very pleased with how well it performed.

I usually gig with either a Mesa Lonestar Special or, if I really need to crank it, a Fender Blues Deville. I also have a Marshall 1974X that I really like and was gonna take to the Friday gig, but at the last minute I decided to take the BJ3 instead. I was glad I did as it let me renew my appreciation for what is the humblest amp in my collection. It may be the humblest, but it is nonetheless a fine amp and gets the job well done.

Peeb

You can pick up a Princeton reverb II for that if the used market doesn't bother you.

soundchaser59

Thank You Great Spirit!
Gold Supporting Member
For $600 bucks you can find used Rivera's that will walk circles around the little Fender amps.

sladest

Silver Supporting Member
you can pick-up a peavey classic 30 for half that. i've been vouching for that amp for years.....

Sigmund Floyd

Silver Supporting Member
If you want some excellent gain, I like my Tiny Terror combo. I also have a Peavey Delta Blues 115 that is a great amp.

TheoDog

Silver Supporting Member
Type of amp is important. If I had $600 to spend on an actual new amp, I would get a Bad Cat Cougar 15. I know it is an import wearing only the BadCat badge, but I have not heard any negative comments.
Trawling the emporium for a week and you can score a sweet deal for that price on a much better amp than what is listed on CL and eBay. Like my Ugly 18 and cab I got... $500 and it is a clean, mean, 18 watt screamer.

Plaid Sabbath

Platinum Supporting Member
If you want some excellent gain, I like my Tiny Terror combo. I also have a Peavey Delta Blues 115 that is a great amp.

+1 on the Terror series by Orange. For $600 you could snag a Dual Terror. Should be the last amp you'll need for a very long time.

jerryfan6

Gold Supporting Member
I agree that to me, the AC15C1, is one of the best amps under $600. I play one...and I love it.

But, not knowing who the OP is, its hard to suggest it. I think an AC15 is an amp that you need to be older to enjoy. If I had gotten one when I was younger, I would have wondered why the channels weren't foot switchable, or why the amp didn't have a bunch of different sounds in it.

If this guy is just starting out with his first Tube Amp, then there are probably amps that would suit him better...things that would have multiple channels and/or take pedals better. Something like a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe or Peavey Classic 30 or even a Bugera V22.

dirk_benedict

Silver Supporting Member
I just bought a brand new Tweaker 15 for WAY under $600...so for now that's my vote.

A Mesa F-30 or F-50 can be had in that range, and, if you are willing to put the time into learn the amp's quirks you have an excellent, versatile amp.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom