What is the best tube combo for under $400?

edward

Silver Supporting Member
Lots on this subject ...though the target price varies from thread to thread. Check out the archives :)

Edward

studiodunn

Platinum Supporting Member
for all around styles, i.e. good clean, distortion, reverb and loop I think the Laney LC 30&50combos are great amps.

r9player

Gold Supporting Member
Try out a Crate Palomino V32 although my personal thought is that the Combo is probably not as good as the head through a good 1x12 (or bigger cab)

rockon1

Platinum Supporting Member
Try out a Crate Palomino V32 although my personal thought is that the Combo is probably not as good as the head through a good 1x12 (or bigger cab)

No doubt in my mind. Find a used(or new if your lucky) US made Palomino V32(cant speak for the foriegn made ones) . Had mine for almost 2 years and its just a great sounding cathode biased EL84 amp! (regardless of price) The combo is just fine! I seem to play my V32 more than some amps I own costing 3 times as much. Great chimey cleans and an OD channel that goes from blues to old school metal nicely. Only gets better with a bit of tweaking!(tubes and speaker) I owned the HRD and Classic 30 and the V32 wins out for me in a shoot out hands down. No offense to HRD or C30 owners meant-JMO. Bob

Miles

I will second the Crate V32. It does sound better than the classic 30 or HRD.

It's sweeter and easier to dial in.

NitroLiq

A used fender blues deluxe. Been my home practice amp since the late 90s...cost me around $250.

handyman11

Gold Supporting Member
This cheap ( $149 ) Blackheart 5 watt head sounds pretty good next to everything I A/B it with ....and loud through a 2X12 ....

XKnight

At the moment a new Gibson GA-5 can be had for $299 from MF. Pretty hard to beat that, but time is of the essence.

wrxplayer

Silver Supporting Member
I don't know about best but I have a Crate V1512 on the market in excellent condition and am including a brand new set of tubes. At $200 it sounds great and is a wonderful value. PM if interested.

Pakyie

I played one...I have to admit I REALLLLLY liked it!

Well that sort of sums my story... Went to a local store to test the new telecaster standard. The shop assistant plugged me into this Fender Super Champ XD he had received one or two days before...

...and I walked away with the amp :D

stratzrus

Philadelphia Jazz, Funk, and R&B
Gold Supporting Member
A used fender blues deluxe. Been my home practice amp since the late 90s...cost me around $250.

Agreed.

I had an original tweed Blues Deluxe, popped a V30 into it, and used it for years during the '90s...got many compliments on the tone, including a friend who gigged regularly with a vintage plexi.

It probably would have sounded even better with a C-Rex, Swamp Thang, EVM 12L, Celestion Sidewinder or any of a number of different speakers.

The reverb is decent and the preamp out/power amp in jacks are quite convenient...sometimes I ran it with a Mesa V-Twin going directly into the power amp in for high gain tones. Reverb is posititoned just before the pre-out and before the power amp in, so it can be used either way.

Great amp for the price.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom