• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

What is the best Univibe money can buy right now (mid 2021) ?

groovemeister

classic vibe cv-2 is like an under the radar , cheap authentic vibe. its only like $250 but really vintage sounding. previously owned the jam retro and it was not even close to being as good.

DarkskyZ

OK, just a quick update as OP, there is a lightly used, fair priced Shin-Ei Vibe 2 on my way.

Consider this post closed as far as I am concerned. Thank you all for your answers, they helped me understand better what I actually want in a Univibe and the preamp and smallish form factor actually are things I care about too.

Cheers

After a long time trying to get the sound I wanted (=the sound in my head), I finally think I found it, no phaser, no chorus, no wobbly novelty anymore but a Univibe is what I want.
So I have been searching and searching and reading and viewing videos and honestly I am a bit lost when it comes to which one to get. I do want one of the best, no buy twice on this one like I did on so many things before, I have some gear to sell to fund it and that is one I am willing to keep for a long time. I am looking for a true to the original bulb/LDR driven unit, huge bonus points for not requiring mains power if that doesn't affect the sound. I don't care much about its size over that, no pedalboard to fit it to.

From MJM 60's vibe to Shin-Ei Vibe 2 or Pedal Pawn Gypsy Vibe and lots of others, which one did you choose or which one would you get ? Please keep in mind I am in the EU and I don't want direct import from say the US so a brand with EU dealers is kind of required here.

Thanks
I think the JHS Unicorn does the Uni-vibe thing quite well…

Supercubziggy

Yes, the original Univibes do vary rather drastically, probably even within the same year. I've had several, kept the best sounding one which Mike modified, gradually sold all the rest. No other vibe I've played captures its warmth, smoothness, fullness, dark, swirly ambience. It forms a magic bond with certain other vintage effects I use. Call it exaggeration, I am sexually aroused just thinking about it. I wanna kiss and whisper to it. This kinda love doesn't come around every day, if another pedal made me feel this way it would be in my brothel.
I feel the exact same way about my Original 1968 Shin Ei vibe. The thing has an "it" factor that you have to experience to understand. I know exactly of what you speak. However.... Scott from BMF effects has made a blueprint of mine. He measured every part and piece. He has designed a vibe pedal and calls it his Model 915 vibe unit. As homage to the original schematic. It seems to be a dead ringer for my original. I only have audio as he is still some time from production, but the clips i have heard sound dead to rights. He sent me a blind A/B comparison and it took several passes from listening to pick one and i chose the 915 not my unit. This is going to be a tough Univibe to beat...

whateverdude

Silver Supporting Member
I feel the exact same way about my Original 1968 Shin Ei vibe. The thing has an "it" factor that you have to experience to understand. I know exactly of what you speak. However.... Scott from BMF effects has made a blueprint of mine. He measured every part and piece. He has designed a vibe pedal and calls it his Model 915 vibe unit. As homage to the original schematic. It seems to be a dead ringer for my original. I only have audio as he is still some time from production, but the clips i have heard sound dead to rights. He sent me a blind A/B comparison and it took several passes from listening to pick one and i chose the 915 not my unit. This is going to be a tough Univibe to beat...
I’m on the list, the demos sound really good.

ndparse89

The quality of the DryBell Vibe Machine is really hard to top when you factor in the footprint, expanded functionality, and (relatively) reasonable price point.

IAE

I don’t know about “best” for you personally but I’m thoroughly enjoying the MXR Uni-Vibe and Korg NuVibe for what they are. Fantastic stompboxes.

BTW, Univibes are phasers. The old Gerd Schulte Compact Phasing ‘A’ is a phaser that uses photo cells. Phasers can use transistors, ICs, LEDs/LDRs or Bulbs/LDRs.

JVIOLIN

Silver Supporting Member
R Weaver Effects Violet/Midnight Vibe, that’s the reason why his enclosures are big, it could twice the size of the current enclosure and I would still have it on my board. I won’t sell mine, its the sound that I hear when I think of a Uni-Vibe.
Good to hear... I just got a Shin-Ei Vibe 2 and for some reason I want to give the Midnight Vibe a try! I was thinking the enclosure is a little big as well but who cares if tone is what you are after...

RockAltVintBluesSoul

Gold Supporting Member
Bump funt thread up - so what did you all decide please? A few months behind you all. @electricfactory - did you get all the bug guys and shoot then out? If so, mind sharing conclusions and what guitar/amp you were shooting out through? Very interested! All the best!

Trending Topics

Top Bottom