What is the best use for the Big Muff

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Ides of March, Jul 29, 2008.

1. Ides of March

Ides of March Member

I am really close to pulling the trigger on this, but I would like to know for certain if the Muff is basically used for fuzz or not. I have a tubescreamer and a Rat 2 and I don't want to buy a pedal if my other pedals TS and Rat 2 does the same thing. And is it a good pedal or not.

2. Burgs

Burgs Member

Big Muff = Big stoner fuzz. You know J Mascis? He love's 'em. The Big Muff has a mega following. All of these will give you a good idea of its sound and I think you'll agree that it's a fair departure from your current two dirt boxes - TS and RAT.

J Mascis' Big Muff collection (apparently).

[​IMG]

3. Cado

Cado Member

Before you pull the trigger, check out some of the Muff clones out there. There are some great recreations of the Triangle & Ram's Head era Muffs on the market.

4. teleman55

teleman55 Member

Muff=Fuzz? Kinda. Yeah it's a fuzz but it's a little different than my FUZZ fuzz. It's a Muff, almost needs it's own catagory. Put it in front of your tubescreamer and having that choice will make you smile.

5. slacker

slacker Senior Member

It's a cross between a distortion and fuzz. IMHO they sound better mellow. I had one for a few months and flipped it as it didnt suit the music I was/am making.

Watch the video with the 65 amps bloke, that shows you what they can do.

here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWDFOk2Amy0

6. jstone

jstone Member

Best use of Mig Muff is on drum kits in studio.
    They are extremely useful for much much more... But I'll go with a Mig Muff inserted on the snare drum in almost any mix...lol

7. gtrfinder

gtrfinder Supporting Member

The way I've always used them is to fill alot of sonic space, but without getting in the way of vocals.
    Every Big Muff or variant I've used has been extremely scooped in the mids. My guitar tone is inherently kind of middy to start with, so using a Big Muff kind of pulls it back and fills out the other registers. I was able to set the overall volume louder using the Big Muff, but it still was not overbearing.
    I used it strictly for rhythm playing.
    Does that make sense?

8. drewl

drewl Member

paperweight?

Seriously I have an old 70's one that I've tried tweaking, have returned it to stock over and over and although according to others it's a good sounding one, I could never get into it.

9. Jahn

Jahn Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver Supporting Member

I'd say a TS is good for some gritty overdriven solo stuff, a Rat is good for hair metal rhythmic distorted chops, but a muff? almost a pure noisemaker that will make you a little insane in the head. not that useful for "technical" stuff, think of it like an emotional rage booster, if anything.

10. daddyo

daddyo Guest

I like my Muff for a huge, milkshake thick, endless sustain. And I paid $70 new for the NYC RI so I can't plead that it is too expensive.

11. fr8_trane

fr8_trane Member

Actually the most musical examples of the Big muff would be David Gilmours use of it on the Wall. Check out the solos on "comfortably numb" or the HUGE but razor tight power chords on "in the flesh" or the clasic rock tones on "young lust". These tones a million miles from the smashing pumpkins untamed wall -o- fuzz.

12. blood5150

blood5150 Member

see Siamese Dream era Smashing Pumpkins tone...

13. aberrant

aberrant Member

I love the Big Muff Pi. I think a lot of guys that really dislike the pedal will put the sustain knob all the way up and at those settings it introduces a lot of compression, jmo. I like to use my TS-9DX before it to really push the ever-lovin' crap out of it. Muff handle pushing really well, imo. I really like the Frantone stuff. They're based off the muff but have some great improvments.

14. AL30

AL30 Member

That is a GREAT description. I love Muff's. I don't use 'em all the time but they are really effective when used in the right places.

AL

15. mike@nortoncable.com

mike@nortoncable.com Member

I've Been using a Creamy Dreamer, which is a moded muff, its great for Rythm, just roll back the vol and and bash out chords.. good wah fuzz combo as well. Great all around grunge era pedal, good for pumpkins, soundgarden rythm...So many bands use em', that being said, having one is a good thing.

16. Ides of March

Ides of March Member

Thanks everyone, I think I am going to get one. My favorite style of music is grunge and alternative, hard rock too. The 90's type stuff. So it seems like a good choice for the price.

17. mike@nortoncable.com

mike@nortoncable.com Member

If your into Grunge and alternative, a big muff is mandatory almost :)

18. Ides of March

Ides of March Member

Yeah that's pretty much what I am into, AIC, Nirvana, Tad, Soundgarden, Pumpkins, Screaming Trees, Mad Season, that type of stuff. I am also into newer stuff like Down, Mastadon, Clutch, Crowbar... but I don't know exactly what they use for their sound.

19. bloodlemons

bloodlemons Member

A Big Muff is best used for killing your enemies. Especially if one of your enemies is silence.

20. lifeinsong

lifeinsong Member

I prefer a smaller tighter muff with as little fuzz as possible...sorry, I couldn't resist.

As far as it's best use, I'll leave that one alone for now.