What is the best vintage strat bridge?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by straightblues, Aug 14, 2006.

1. straightblues

straightblues Member

I am building a parts strat and want a vintage style trem bridge. What should I get?

2. michaelprice83

michaelprice83 Member

3. Formvar

Formvar Supporting Member

I`ll second the Callaham. Great build quality and the price is very reasonable for what it is IMO. You can`t go wrong.:AOK

4. Droptop

Droptop Supporting Member

The Eric Johnson bridge that you can get from eBay is also nice...they run $60-$80.

5. Stk1520

Stk1520 Supporting Member

I just finished up a Strat build and used the Wilkinson vintage tremolo shown HERE. Excellent quality, steel block, reasonable price and I really like the pop-in arm.

6. michaelprice83

michaelprice83 Member

I also use a Detemple Titanium bridge. Its very nice, and gives a different pingy flavor. Certainly NOT worth the money but I'm glad I have one. I'll be buying my other bridges from Callaham from here on out.

7. sw686blue

sw686blue Member

+1

Fantastic bridge.

8. mattmccloskey

mattmccloskey Supporting Member

I second that notion! the new wilky bridge is great.
    I think somebody might feel it can't be so great because the price is so low. But the fact is it is a super nice trem- full size all steel block, steel saddles, excellent quality, and good positive feel, classic sound. I love it. The callaham is also a super nice bridge, but the wilky has held up perfectly for me, sounds as good, and costs less than half.
    I have the wilkinson on my suhr classic and on a fender 50's strat.

9. michaelprice83

michaelprice83 Member

hmmmm.....yeah it does look nice. all steel is not created equal. say what you want about bill callaham's sanity, but i think there is something to the cold rolled high purity steel he uses.

10. Mullet Kingdom

Mullet Kingdom Senior Member

I'll say go with a Callaham bridge assembly. They cost about $20 more than everything else does (after market vintage replacement tremolo bridges) but the craftsmanship is top notch. :AOK

I ordered a trem block from Callaham a few months ago and I'm very happy with it. :)

11. EXP

EXP Supporting Member

+4 on Callaham trem/block. i put one on my strat and i too noticed an improvemement in tone and clarity.:AOK

12. Curly

Curly Member

I have a Callaham on an ash strat, and I have the Wilkinson that I want to use on my next strat, so I should have some idea how they compare.

the Callaham has good tone, but I had some tuning issues, so I lubed everything and I'll see how that works

13. mattmccloskey

mattmccloskey Supporting Member

the callaham is great but it is not 20 more; the wilky is 40 bucks, callaham is 100.

While all steel is not the same, the wilk isn't pot metal by any stretch, it has hardened steel srews, saddles, etc. John suhr loves it and says the quality is excellent.

14. michaelprice83

michaelprice83 Member

well on john suhr's recommendation, i'd say the wilkie is proabably a good buy.

15. Go Cat Go!!

Go Cat Go!! Member

I have both the callaham and the Wilky. I prefer the Wilky by far. It's action is much smoother than the callaham unit and it hold it stays in tune much better. I do have the opportunity to do a caparison between the two. I have a couple of projects going on and have another unistalled Wilkenson and Callaham to compare. I'll take some photos and weight measurements if anyone is interested.

16. Mullet Kingdom

Mullet Kingdom Senior Member

I was referring to the after market replacements from vendors like Allparts and WD who sell theirs for $80 last I checked. However, if Wilkenson offers a tremolo bridge with a steel block for $40 -- buy it.

17. HarryJ

HarryJ Member

I love my wilkinson 6 screw

18. Babaji

Babaji Member

...I've been building Strats with the 62 reissue bridge plate and saddles and the "Pigtail Music" 54 trem block. Steve copied original 54 blocks right down to the type of steel and its hardness. They help deliver a nice twangy high end. J.M. Rolph pickups make the end result even better!
    Bill

19. NuSkoolTone

NuSkoolTone Member

Yup! Got one too. Very solid and great quality.

20. Troubleman

Troubleman Silver Supporting Member

Got a mutt-caster with a Wilky, and several with Callahams. Callahams are closer to "true vintage", Wilky's are just plain great. Either is an awesome choice. If you're a vintage snob who refuses to play Eddie Vegas prices, get a Callaham. If you just want a silky smooth trem - get a Wilkinson.

Peace,

jb