What is the best Wah under $100?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Stevo, Feb 9, 2008.

1. Stevo

Stevo Member

I'm looking to buy my first wah pedal and I don't want to spend a lot in case it's not my thing, so even cheaper then $100 would be good. If I like it I might upgrade in the future. Are there any good wah's under $100? I'm looking for something that doesn't suck tone (I hear alot of cheaper wah pedals do) and something that sounds good and is easy to use.

Any recommendations?

Thanks.

2. 4styx

4styx Member

Save up another $50 and buy a used Teese or Budda wah.If you find wah is not your thing you can sell it for what you paid for it.You need to try a decent sounding one to really know.

3. 4styx

4styx Member

I just noticed there's a Wilson Ripper wah in the emporium for $110 shipped(not mine).Please buy it before I do.

4. poolshark

poolshark Supporting Member

Dunlop CFH can be found pretty cheap. The best, no. Cheap and passable, yes.

It's a more cutting, aggressive wah - good for higher gain stuff. Lots of adjustable features, but the high gain stuff is what it does well. True bypass it isn't, but I find they generally add a little top-end sparkle as opposed to cutting it like the average buffered pedal.

5. CAC

CAC Member

I have been through a few wahs over the past few years. I had a 535 Q wah from Dunlop which was OK, but I'm not a tweaker type and prefer pedals, amps, etc I just plug in and play. So, I got the Crybaby Classic which I owned for a couple of years. I really, really, liked it but sold it thiking I could do better if I spent more money so I picked up the Budda wah and Wylde Wah thinking I would like one of those better. The Budda is nice don't like the Wylde, but to my ears I didn't notice enough of a difference from the Budda over the Crybaby classic, so I'm going back to it. Just picked up one used for $50.

6. DrGonzo

DrGonzo Gold Supporting Member

If you get a used Crybaby or Vox now, you can always buy the Area51 wah drop in kit down the road and re-use the shell. That way you aren't in it for huge dollars on the first go around and you get to leverage a little bit of your first purchase in pursuit of a great boutique wah :AOK

7. otherone

otherone Supporting Member

+1 Crybaby Classic...best wah available under $100

8. Stevo

Stevo Member

How is the bypass on the Crybaby Classic? Is it a tone sucker?

9. sandman

sandman Member

I heard NO tone loss.

10. megatonic

megatonic Member

Ibanez Weeping Demon. Well thought out & sounds great.

11. burner

burner Member

Thomas Organ crybaby
    They can be found under $100 and sound really good.
    I just picked up another and I thought it sounded like a dog but after I got to probing around inside I found that a resistor was way out of spec.
    After changing it it sounds great....like me others.
    It doesn't seem to suck enough high end that can't be handled with a turn of the tone knob on the amp but you could always put a true bypass in if you wanted.

12. dk123123dk

dk123123dk Member

According to Zzounds the Crybaby Classic is True Bypass. I like it. I also like the standard Vox model with a new dpdt switch installed for true bypass. Its very easy to do if you can solder. I would try out the Snarling Dogs pedal as well, that looks decent. I haven't personally tried it though. Good luck.

dk

13. RC2

RC2 Silver Supporting Member

+1.... This is a great suggestion. I can't think of anything even close to a Thomas Organ wah in your price range.

14. Merelington

Merelington Member

I'd go with a Vox 847 wah which can be found for around $70 used. If you find that wah is your thing the vox 847 is a great canvas to work with in regards to mods. For another $100 you can stock up the wah with true-bypass, trimpots, LED etc.

15. mistercoffee1

mistercoffee1 Member

+1.5, especially used.
    Another option is an 80's crybaby.