What is the best way to blend two pickup signals on stage?

Discussion in 'Acoustic Instruments' started by Ozzy Slant, Apr 4, 2019.

1. Ozzy Slant

Ozzy Slant Member

Hi all,

Any suggestion on how to blend UST and a soundhole pickup signals together on stage? I also need to do this in a way that allows me to control the blend and the master output effortlessly on stage, because my Yamaha LL16 has no built in preamp or controls.

Right now I am thinking of either a passive signal blender like Art SplitMix4 or a small mixer like Behringer Zenyx 1002B to blend two guitar signals into one output. I would also like to run this blended signal still into an effect pedal / preamp (like my TC-Helicon Play Acoustic).

SplitMix4 seems perfect in the sense that it is a compact unit and a simple, passive blend of the two signals. A mini-mixer on the other hand would allow some EQ:ing for the piezo before the blend, which might be great, and I would have use for the mixer in other applications as well.

I don't know if a cheap mixer and its preamps would have bad impact on the tone though? And is it even ok to take the output from a mixer into a preamp / effect unit?

Thanks for any help and suggestions!

2. Crowder

Crowder Dang Twangler Silver Supporting Member

If both pickups are installed in your guitar, you could have them both wired to a stereo endpin jack. Then you could use one stereo cable out of your guitar that would carry both sources. At the other end, you could use a stereo-to-mono splitter to separate the sources into a mixer or preamp(s).

There are also several acoustic preamps that are designed to separate a stereo send into two individual channels and then combine them to a single output. With one of those, you could plug your stereo cable right into the preamp and still have control over each pickup independently.

I think the Radial PZ-Pre does this:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...e-pz-pre-2-channel-acoustic-instrument-preamp

walterw likes this.
  3. DRS

DRS Member

OP

You have 2 complete separate pick-up systems in 1 guitar and they are both passive? Do you have 2 separate output jacks?

4. Barnzy

Barnzy Member

5. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

why? what's the goal in doing that?

also, do you already have the pickups in question? what are they?

the main thing is that the UST needs to first hit a specific piezo preamp made for USTs or it will sound horrible, and ideally that preamp should be built into the guitar.

at that point, many built-in active UST systems like the baggs element or fishman matrix have a "pass-thru" connection for a second pickup, so you can use a stereo TRS cable and access the two pickups separately downstream.

6. walterw

no good, unless both pickups are already buffered through preamps before they hit this box. it only has 220kΩ input impedance, too low for a passive mag pickup and way too low for a passive UST.

Barnzy likes this.
  7. walterw

yep.

8. mrmurph

mrmurph Member

I have a DTar Solstice pre amp that will accept either a stereo jack or 2 separate mono jacks and allow you to blend and mix equalization on the signals from both channels. I use a single XLR to send the blended signal to the board from there. But I believe you can also send a stereo signal out as well. I would have to go look at it again to confirm that. Having said that, I rarely use the sound hole mic on the guitars I have that are equipped with both, having found that the Pure Mini under the bridge plate works great and is easier to control feedback etc.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2019 at 9:40 PM
  9. TwoHandsTenThumbs

TwoHandsTenThumbs Silver Supporting Member

I use a combo of K&K and Sunrise pickups in my flattop guitars.

Stereo TRS jack. TRS cable. TRS to TS / TS splitter box vs. using an insert / y cable.

The K&K is wired to the Tip, the Sunrise to the Ring. The Sunrise signal, after the splitter, hits a Sunrise buffer box. then one channel of a Red Eye Twin.

The K&K hits the second channel of the Red Eye Twin. Perfect impedance match.

Individual level controls. I use the A+B setting on the preamp.

A tuner pedal in the preamp’s effect loop mutes the output at the XLR when engaged.

XLR to house, or to a QSC K10 for solo gigs.

With 9v to barrel cables, and a Cioks power supply, the splitter, tuner, buffer, and preamp / DI all fit on an old school Pedaltrain Nano, the Cioks mounted underneath.

I’ve been using this rig, happily, for the better part of a decade.

Depending on stage volume and accompanying instruments, I adjust the balance to suit.

10. DRS

DRS Member

What happened to the OP?
    One and done?