What is the best way to restore Amplifire presets I messed up?

MJ Slaughter

Silver Supporting Member
I have about 12 presets I perform with using my GT-100 4CM but decided I wanted to try using the Amplifire with my midi controller leaving the GT-100 at home. This required modifying the presets so I saved copies of presets 1-12 to position 31-42 yesterday. Today I go into tweak the copied presets to work without the GT-100, get everything done and balanced then realized I tweaked presets 1-12 and not 31-42.

Before installing v4.01 last week I made a full backup and my original 1-12 still exist but in positions 31-42. The GT-100 can not map outgoing messages and it's presets that are used with the Amplifire are 1-12 so I need my original presets in the 1-12 slots. What would be the easiest way to get my original 1-12 back to the 1-12 positions while preserving the tweaks I did today? As far as I know the only backup and resort options are everything together or by individual presets.

Currently:
  • 1-12 are setup to be used w/o the GT
  • 31-32 are setup to use with the GT but need to be in positions 1-12
Would you:
  1. Copy 1-12 to another location like 41-42 then copy the original presets currently in 31-42 back to 1-12?
  2. Save each modified 1-12 preset to individual files to load back later after restoring the backup?
  3. Do something else?
  4. Tell me I"m over thinking this?
It doesn't matter where the presets on the Amplifire are located that will be used with the midi controller because I can change the mapping easily.

AdInfinitum

I would try #2. When i purchased MBritts patches, they came as individual files. It was easy to use the editor to move them to whatever location i wanted. So, i would do another backup, so you have your original patches and then the messed up ones as a set. Then save the patches you need to move as individual files. Then restore the original backup and load the individual patches. Make sure to name them so they are easy to distinguish.

Guitar1969

Ii will save you a ton of time. Go find the ABU tool on the Facebook forum under the files section. There is an updated version for 4.0 that will allow you to extract the individual presets out of a backup set so you can load just what you need. Its a bit quirky with the renaming feature on so you will need to see if it gets any naming errors when running, but I use it alot to manage my presets. When I make a backup, the first thing I do is run this tool.

MJ Slaughter

Silver Supporting Member
Ii will save you a ton of time. Go find the ABU tool on the Facebook forum under the files section. There is an updated version for 4.0 that will allow you to extract the individual presets out of a backup set so you can load just what you need. Its a bit quirky with the renaming feature on so you will need to see if it gets any naming errors when running, but I use it alot to manage my presets. When I make a backup, the first thing I do is run this tool.

Thanks. I had no idea this existed.

Guitar1969

Thanks. I had no idea this existed.
There is a thread on it here from awhile ago.
The old version is posted here in the google drive preset group but it broke when 4.0 was released. I tracked down the creator and had him fix it even though he no longer owns an Amplifire. Make sure you run the one I posted on FB last week and read the thread as it still applies.

M

Member 43134

The AmpliFire backup (.abu) file is an archive. If you make a copy of your backup and rename the file extension from .abu to .zip you can extract the files in the archive. The presets have extension .pre and the cabs have extension .cab. The .cabs are the cabinets contained in the cabinets section of the editor.

Although the presets files don't have the same name as the name you have given the preset, when you load the preset all of the settings are restored, i.e. preset name, settings and cab.

I mention this because you really don't need the ABU tool to reload presets and cabs. And as long as Atomic preserves the backup file as an archive you won't be affected by versioning.

Guitar1969

The AmpliFire backup (.abu) file is an archive. If you make a copy of your backup and rename the file extension from .abu to .zip you can extract the files in the archive. The presets have extension .pre and the cabs have extension .cab. The .cabs are the cabinets contained in the cabinets section of the editor.

Although the presets files don't have the same name as the name you have given the preset, when you load the preset all of the settings are restored, i.e. preset name, settings and cab.

I mention this because you really don't need the ABU tool to reload presets and cabs. And as long as Atomic preserves the backup file as an archive you won't be affected by versioning.
Totally true.

But the nice thing about the tool is it has a renaming feature so it can rename it to the original preset name rather than just the slot number - preset1 preset2, etc which do not help much when managing alot of presets offline. For your use since you know the exact preset locations of the original preset the renaming is not as important but I find it pretty helpful for managing presets offline, since the Atomic editor is pretty bad when it comes to preset management

MJ Slaughter

Silver Supporting Member
That rename to a zip extension trick is pretty handy. Thanks for that little nugget. The ABU tool may be cool to use too but like Guitar1969 said I don't use a lot of presets so working with the zip file will do for now. I will take a look at the ABU tool though once I find it.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom