What is the choice PRS model (not custom shop or ltd editions etc)

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by fuzzface, Oct 11, 2005.

1. fuzzface

fuzzface Active Member

I don't know much about the PRS's. Frankly they all very similar, so I may know the TRUE value of a particular guitar. Which model you PRS owners, have you decided as the best value and quality in your opinion?

2. srepetto

srepetto Member

I ended up getting a decent price on a new McCarty Standard, as I wanted a non-fancy humbucker equipped guitar. Quality is good across the board irregardless of model. Price depends whether you want fancy stuff (birds, 10 top, gold hardware, or limited edition stuff like the Brazilian series of 2003).

As for the best value you'll prob get a lot of answers there.....Good Luck in your search!

3. TaronKeim

TaronKeim Member

It depends on the type of music you do and what you want for options... if you need a 24 fret and trem... then Custom 24 or 513 is the way to go... if you need something with a little thicker sound, don't need the extra frets or a trem then the McCarty models are the way to go, better for balls out blues and rhythm rock tones than for lead stuff, which I think the Custom 24 excells at. Plus, the pick-ups are different in most of the models as well... the Custom 24 has the hottest wound where as the McCarty models have more PAF style output. Hope some of this helped.

-TJK

4. fuzzface

fuzzface Active Member

THanks guys. To answer your question, I 'll try to answer what I want in a PRS and what I don't want.
    I don't really need a tremolo and I don't care about the pickups because I will replace them with seymour antiquities. I don't need the bells and whistles. I guess I am curious about which model has a v shaped neck or more towards being a v shaped neck, which model has is thinner neck? Which model has a narrower neck at the 12th fret. 22 or 24 frets are both ok. Which guitar volume, tone controls are less in the way. Which model's have frets that don't cut into your fingers when playing at 17-24 frets ( I remember one PRS model did this and another prs didn't), so 6105 6100 fret wire will do. Which prs has a nice string tension distribution, making for nice playability like musicman or a G@l guitar.

5. paintguy

paintguy Long Hair Hippy Freak Silver Supporting Member

I think the best value would be the Standard model. I have never played or heard 1, but I hear great things about them. As far as quality goes, I think they are all pretty darn great. I don't think Prs makes a second.

I own 3 models. Custom 24, Santana 1, and a Singlecut. All are great quality and totally different in terms of feel and sound.
    I feel they make the best quality production guitar out there.

Just depends on what style of guitar you are looking for.

Now that I see what you are looking for, I would say a Standard for sure. 22 and 24 fret models. 22's have stoptail or trem, 24's only have trems. I think 24's have regular and wide thin neck shapes, and the 22's have wide thin or wide fat.

6. big mike

big mike Moderator - EL34 Emeritas Staff Member

I'd say custom 22 with a W/T neck.

7. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

PRS is all about quality throughout their line, and I have/had quite a few (the US stuff, not SEs, although they're probably great values). They build consistently immaculte products. However, the model that stands out most in my mind is the Santana range. Certainly the most unique PRSs, with their own scale length, pickups, and body dimensions, they have this special, thick, middy and smokey tone that I find irresistable. Unfortunatley, I made the mistake of trading my III, but I''m already looking to replace that much missed sound. So, value? If value is determined by quality of tone and build, all PRS are up there, but IMO the Santana has a uniqueness about it that seperates it from any other guitar.

8. paintguy

paintguy Long Hair Hippy Freak Silver Supporting Member

Owning a Santana 1, Custom 24, and a Singlecut, I would say they are in the same ballpark as far as sound is concerned. Not the same by any means, but 1 in leftfield, 1 in centerfield, and the Singlecut in rightfield,( or possibly even in the infield).

Find the neck carve you like, and the body shape that feels best. Then take it from there. You already know you are going to change the pups. If you do decide on a Santana model, I do know someone with a Santana 1 that might part with it.:D

9. Scott Cioe

Scott Cioe Member

I personally feel the best "value" in the line is a tie between the Standard and the CE.

I personally prefer the standard with its set neck and all mahogany body. Kind of a hot-rodded SG...

10. JoeYello

JoeYello Member

I havbe owned several PRS guitars and my favorite is the McCarty Soapbar. Has a sound all its own, comfortable to play, stays in tune, looks great.

I am not a big fan of the PRS humbucker equipped guitars, I would rather play a Les Paul. No flames please.

11. bluesdoc

bluesdoc Gold Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

You might want to ask this question on the Birds and Moons forum.

jon

12. amper

amper Member

CE Mahogany 22, or Standard 22, if you want a set mahogany neck. Personally, I prefer the bolted quartersawn maple.

Vintage Cherry finish and a tremolo, just like the early days...

13. mule train

mule train Gold Supporting Member

Ditto. I prefer the W/F profile though.
    I traded my McCarty for the one I have now. By far the finest guitar I have ever had(after many).It inspires me to play and the hours pass while playing it.
    Between my father and 2 brothers we have a slew of guitars from Strats,Pauls,Rics,Martins ,Taylors,even a Migma... and I feel I have the finest of ALL.

14. amstaf

amstaf Guest

I have 4, a ce22, custom 24 artist pack, a SCT, and a standard 24. All are great. You just have to taylor your choice of music to your guitar, for instance, I put the Tremone pu's in the Sct. The sct is a rock guitar only. The neck pu will clean up, but it's not for the tame at heart. The ce 22 has "dragon II's" and it's a great sounding guitar, all around. The CU 24 has HFS and VB pu's. It's a lot hotter than the dragon II's, but you can still clean the tone up.
    I guess what I'm trying to say is that Prs are great guitars, you can get different tones with different pu's to suite your needs. What kind of music do you play?
    513's are great guitars, but I doubt that you'll find one in a store to play ( at least I haven't been able to find one), and they are pretty pricey

15. jlagrassa

jlagrassa Supporting Member

For me the McCarty is a great guitar and can cover many styles of music, I've tried a few pickup mods but still in the end I find the stock McCarty to be the best!

[​IMG]

16. Souled Out

Souled Out Member

I own numerous PRS and love them all. Excellent build quailty and beautiful to look at. However, I am NOT a fan of their electronics. I find that replacing their pickups really turns them into unbelieveable guitars. The trick is which matching pickups/electronics for your TONE in each model. The only exception seems to be McCarty Soapbar. I may upgrade it to some Wolfes P90 (mean, meaner, meanest) in future, but pretty great tone stock. Worst is my Santana Brazilian. Great, Great guitar and really short changed in the electronics dept. All this is IMHO. Glad I posted this here and not at Birds and Moons. I hope I don't derail your thread but their is life after choosing a model and not being totally thrilled with it.

17. dookie

dookie Member

I agree...

The McSoap is my fave PRS out of the bunch... It sounds very thick and beefy... My fave set neck so far... I may want to trade out the p90's for others just to see if the sound improves but overall I'm very happy with it...