what is the consensus on the PICKUPS in the squier classic vibe teles?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Derelict, Feb 24, 2012.

1. Derelict

Derelict Member

i have a 60s classic vibe. the pickups sound pretty good but wondering if it would be worth it to upgrade to some seymour duncan broadcaster or dimarzio twang kings. i can't really tell from youtube or manufacturer clips how much better, if at all, they sound than the stocks that come on the squiers. the squiers seem to sound good but are just a bit on the weak side.

thoughts?

2. Porrig

Porrig Member

I have a CV 50's tele VB. I THOUGHT when I got it that I'd probably want to switch out the pickups at some point. Hasn't happened - I like 'em fine as is.

3. Will Chen

Will Chen Member

I was very impressed with the bridge pup on the CV 50's Tele I reviewed for FG. not so much the neck. But I rarely like tele neck pups...

4. cratz2

cratz2 Member

My take is if you have two teles that have Don Mares and Lollars and you get a Classic Vibe, maybe you won't be blown away by the pickups.

Compared to what came in the slightly more expensive MIM Standards for years, the Classic Vibes are a considerable step up from those.

Be realistic. They are a fantastic value but they are not the best. As far as non-Antiquity Duncan pickups or Dimarzios, I can see going with something if your main goal is more output as opposed to 'better sound' but in terms of tone, my guess is in comparing the stock pickups vs the Twang Kings, you'd have plenty of people that preferred the stock pickups.

5. Matt L

Matt L Supporting Member

I had a Classic Vibe Thinline, and I found the pickups to be surprisingly good, but I could also hear a little thinness that could maybe be eradicated with an electronics swap. Same thing with the CV '50s Strat.....certainly could be slightly improved upon, but by no means bad-sounding stock pickups.

Has anyone swapped ONLY the pots and/or caps in their Classic Vibe? I'd be interested to hear how the tone changed just doing that.

6. Derelict

Derelict Member

i may just stay as is then.

i think they sound good just a bit weak, but that's cool since it doesn't push the amp into oblivion.

7. mbargav

mbargav Member

Same here. I originally bought it thinking I'd put a Charlie Christian in the neck, but I like it too much the way it is.

8. Will Chen

Will Chen Member

Honestly, these days I'm much more of a fan of lower output pickups. You can always boost the signal to get more dirt but its very hard to get the same clarity you get from lower output pups from hotter ones.

9. magicaxeman

magicaxeman Member

Ive got the vintage modified with the duncan designed ones in it.. I feel no need to change them at all...they really do sing

10. Rock Johnson

Rock Johnson Member

Let's just say if you like Toneriders, you'll like the CV pickups. :)

11. koa

koa Member

I thought they were just fine as well. Low output but not bad sounding at all.

12. dlmjr2

dlmjr2 Member

I thought they sounded great at home...when I got to the gig, not so much. Not horrible but I just didn't care for them at higher volumes.

13. jaycee

jaycee Member

CV '50's

Bridge = good
    Neck = meh

14. Sidmore

Sidmore no talent hack Silver Supporting Member

CV 50's

Bridge = like it quite well
    Neck = don't use it (yes, I know; not using the neck pup on a tele is sacrilege... )

15. musicman1

musicman1 Member

Whats the difference, if any, between the ALNICO III's in the white tele vs the ALNICO Vs in the butterscotch tele?

IMO, in the demo vids Ive seen, the white tele sound funkier/more country sounding than the butterscotch.

16. jamdogg

jamdogg Member

I dig the cv '50s bridge pickup. But i will admit i dig it much less after playing lollars regularly.

Neck pickup didnt do much for me.

17. galibier_un

galibier_un Supporting Member

I was tempted to start another thread for this question.

Has anyone pulled the neck off a CV 50's Tele? Does anyone know if the neck pocket is bare wood?

I like a bare wood to bare wood contact between the neck and the pocket, but one thing I absolutely hate doing is stripping paint out of neck pockets.

If the neck pocket is bare wood, I'm contemplating a using CV50's as a baseline for a USACG neck and some Don Mare pickups.

Cheers,
    Thom

18. cowboytim

cowboytim Member

Yes I have the "White" Blond and the Alnico III mags are the best IMO.
    I'm going to change out the pots and caps for best clarity some day but the pickups are staying!!

19. cowboytim

cowboytim Member

I'm with you.....most all my guitars are under wound or slightly over wound.
    My CV 50s Tele is what it is.....Old Teles are like that.....sweet!

20. jamdogg

jamdogg Member

Yes its bare. Have a look on ebay for pics.